• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
    Yes, "oh my God" is about right.

"Howls like a hammer"? Fuck off.
    Yes- fuck off back to your Minigolf

Comment

Dylan was my second ever 'proper' gig, in the late 80s at the Greek in Los Angeles, a few weeks after my first, The Damned at the municipal sports centre in Carlisle. Both occasions felt like "better see them while they are still playing", and that was 33 years ago...

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
        Yes, "oh my God" is about right.

"Howls like a hammer"? Fuck off.
        Different strokes and all that.

Comment

Yes- fuck off back to your Minigolf

I don't know what that's got to do with a throwaway comment about Bob Dylan's lyrics. But, yes, I've fucked off back to my job.

Comment

Cerys Matthews is doing a Bob Dylan special. She just played Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands. Fucking hell it's great.

Comment

I don't know if there is much new info in this story, but if you can't get enough Dylan:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...y-of-bob-dylan

Comment

Not a lot, but had still had to read it to the end. And have been fighting the urge to buy The Philosophy of Modern Song ever since I heard about it. Doubtless I'll succumb eventually.

Comment

Didn't know whether to post this here or in the Live Performances You Should See thread. Anyway, i'm pissed off with myself for not seeing Bob recently, but I am skint and tickets sold out ridiculously quickly.

Anyone going to see Cat Power do Dylan's 1966 'Royal Albert Hall' gig next weekend? I'm assuming that the gig at the Albert Hall on Saturday is the only time she is doing the '66 concert in full?

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                    Anyway, i'm pissed off with myself for not seeing Bob recently...
                    If it was to add a 'done that' to your list, I get it. If it was to hear the classics, or your favourite tune, or to maybe experience a moment of real connection between an artist and his audience...you ain't missed a damn thing.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

If it was to add a 'done that' to your list, I get it. If it was to hear the classics, or your favourite tune, or to maybe experience a moment of real connection between an artist and his audience...you ain't missed a damn thing.
                      I have seen him at least one before (but can't remember where or when), and know what to expect.

Edit: Think it was Brixton in 2005 and definitely Wembley Arena in 2007.
                      Last edited by RobW; 31-10-2022, 12:11.

Comment

I literally had to check the setlist when I got home to discover what I'd heard. It was aural mud from start to finish.

Comment

I don't think that seeing Dylan live would make me appreciate his body of work any more. I did, however, see Al Jarreau live in concert almost 30 years ago. Al Jarreau should have blanked Bob Dylan at the "We Are The World" session.

Comment

I don’t know where the dividing line is between Dylan being good live and not. Somewhere between the first time I saw him in 1997 (fantastic) and the second in 2002 (“aural mud”).

Comment

I'm just listening to a recording from the new tour (Bob Dylan - Complete Concert - London, Palladium First Night 19th October 2022) and although the band sound good, I'm just finding what he does to the lyrics of the classic songs incredibly challenging. It's like watching your favourite film through the bottom of a glass.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                I'm just listening to a recording from the new tour (Bob Dylan - Complete Concert - London, Palladium First Night 19th October 2022) and although the band sound good, I'm just finding what he does to the lyrics of the classic songs incredibly challenging. It's like watching your favourite film through the bottom of a glass.
                                He's been doing them that way for the best part of... what... forty years now? It shouldn't come as a surprise anymore. Sometimes they work, more often they don't, for me.

I'm glad I saw the Desire tour, which might be around the last time the arrangements were as per the album. The last time I saw him, fourteen years back, the band was excellent and he did a brilliant bossa nova version of One Too Many Mornings, but the rest was pretty forgettable, except it was yer actual BOB! The big B! So... like... wow, and stuff.

Comment

Oh, absolutely, it's been like that forever. I really wish I'd been in a position to have seen him on this tour. But, I couldn't claim I enjoyed listening to it when I found a recording.

These days, the only Dylan song I need is “Bob Dylan's 115th Dream”. Poetry vomited out at the speed of light.

Comment

Working...
                                  X