Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delete "like".

Comment

wingco had a discussion running on FB about the difficult character of Van Morrison. Somebody pointed out that his horrible behaviour might be explained by some kind of autism. So I'd cut him some slag for acting like an ass. Doesn't explain away his noxious views, though.

Originally posted by imp View Post
      I mean, we're talking about someone who did a God-bothering duet with Cliff Richard. One of the worst things about being an atheist is knowing there won't be a judgment day when Van stands before his maker and is told "Wherever God shines his light? Well, it obviously wasn't anywhere near you, was it, you miserable fucking bog of shite. Fuck off down to Hades now. No, Cliff won't be joining you, he's up here taking it for eternity from Sue Barker wearing a ten-inch strap-on and he's loving every second."
      You will hate to know that "Have I Told You Lately..." is another God-bothering song. Whenever you try to seduce Mrs imp with the Rod Stewart version of the song, as I expect you would, keep in mind: it's about God!

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post

You will hate to know that "Have I Told You Lately..." is another God-bothering song. Whenever you try to seduce Mrs imp with the Rod Stewart version of the song, as I expect you would, keep in mind: it's about God!
        I didn't know that.

I'm now really, really, really hoping that "Tonight's the Night" turns out to be a serenade of the fella upstairs too.

Comment

It's tricky introducing mental health labels, as we've seen with other threads, e.g. Ryan Giggs. I know the labels are not being used as an excuse but I wonder if they skirt around more difficult questions such as the misogyny of the various networks in which alleged abusers were raised and have worked? Additionally I'd query why some abusers overcome these flaws and resocialize (such as John Lennon) but others do not (such as Phil Spector). Obviously there are degrees of pathology and whether or not someone is too far gone down the path to being unreachable, complicated by the fact that some of them are surrounded by sycophants and enablers.
          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 13-05-2021, 17:53.

Comment

Unsuprisingly Spector was very much a loner. He never really worked collaboratively with anyone in spite of being in a business where collectivity is almost essential. Lennon OTOH needed people around almost all the time — even if that meant just Yoko. But, as you say, I'm not prepared to speculate on the mental health of either of them. Almost anyone who works consistently and successfully in any creative endeavour is at least several steps beyond what might be classified as normal

Comment

Always thought Morrison's early lyrics are great.

Astral Weeks of course but this from Hard Nose the Highway

Hey kids Dig the first takes
              ain't that some interpretation
              When Sinatra Sings
              Against Nelson Riddle Strings
              Then takes a vacation.

Lots more too already mentioned- Tupelo Honey, for example. Great interpreter of standards too.

What a shame it turned to shit

Comment

Veedon Fleece is a wonderful album - just bought it on vinyl the other day and all.

Comment

Working...
                X