Van Morrison Goes Full Alt-Right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Van Morrison Goes Full Alt-Right

His new album contains numerous dogwhistles, but this track is fully explicitly racist:

https://genius.com/Van-morrison-western-man-lyrics

He has a song called Why Are You On Facebook?

Give the old fart some Minions memes and tell him to be quiet.

Comment

I thought he'd died a few years ago.

Comment

The lyrics are just terrible. Like someone muttering to themselves whilst pissed - repetitive and incoherent.

Comment

Why are you on Facebook? (Doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo)
          Why do you need second-hand friends? (Doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo)
          Why do you really care who's trending? (Doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo)
          Or is there something you're defending? (Doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo)
          Get a life, is it that empty and sad? (Doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo)
          Or are you after something you can't have? (Doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo)
          You kiss the girls and run away (doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo)
          Now you won't come out to play (doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo)

Why are you on Facebook?
          Why are you on Facebook?
          Why are you on Facebook?
          Why are you on Facebook?
          Why are you on Facebook?
          Why are you on Facebook?
          Why are you on Facebook?
          Why are you on Facebook? Yeah

Did you miss your fifteen minutes of fame? (Doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo)
          Or do you not have any shame? (Doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo)
          Or is it some kind of twisted game? (Doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo)
          Put yourself in the frame (doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo)
          For what some people work very hard to attain (doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo)
          Or are you looking for a scapegoat to blame? (Doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo)
          'Cause you're a failure again

Comment

"By Van Morrison, aged 14 and three-quarters."

Sit down and shut up Van, you daft prick.

Comment

Remind me of a Van Morrison song I might know, from the beforetimes.

Comment

'Jackie Wilson Said'
                'Moondance'
                'Into The Mystic'
                'Have I Told You Lately That I Love You'
                'Brown Eyed Girl'

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                  Why are you on Facebook? (Doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo)
                  Why do you need second-hand friends? (Doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo)
                  Why do you really care who's trending? (Doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo)
                  Or is there something you're defending? (Doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo)
                  Get a life, is it that empty and sad? (Doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo)
                  Or are you after something you can't have? (Doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo)
                  You kiss the girls and run away (doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo)
                  Now you won't come out to play (doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo)

Why are you on Facebook?
                  Why are you on Facebook?
                  Why are you on Facebook?
                  Why are you on Facebook?
                  Why are you on Facebook?
                  Why are you on Facebook?
                  Why are you on Facebook?
                  Why are you on Facebook? Yeah

Did you miss your fifteen minutes of fame? (Doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo)
                  Or do you not have any shame? (Doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo)
                  Or is it some kind of twisted game? (Doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo)
                  Put yourself in the frame (doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo)
                  For what some people work very hard to attain (doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo)
                  Or are you looking for a scapegoat to blame? (Doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo)
                  'Cause you're a failure again
                  Oh sweet Jesus...just found this online.

I genuinely thought you were doing a parody...

Comment

At least the Facebook song made me laugh. 'Moondance' and 'Brown Eyed Girl' just make me want to kill the person singing them, absolutely hideous records.

Comment

The perfect place to leave this:

The veteran bluesman loudly wakes up the sheeple with this boring and paranoid double album, reminiscent of a dinner party with a bitter divorcee

Comment

I completely agree with the OP, that is simply Great Replacement theory writ large. It's seriously disturbing.

While I'm here though, I think "Brown Eyed Girl" is remarkable. It's not even a particular favourite, but it think it must be considered one of the greatest debut singles of all time. It starts off so loose, yet is identifiable within a fraction of a second. It has handclaps right from the get-go. It delays the chorus, and an organ comes in on the second verse like someone's just wandered over and started pressing the keys without a thought. He sings about having sex outside and I really believe him. Then the chorus has "sha-la-la-la"s as if it's the most natural thing in the world.

It seems to me like a cousin of a James Brown song, in that it really feels like the song is being made up on the spot by one performer completely lost in the moment. To do that on your first solo single is some sort of miracle. I never liked it until recently, but I completely changed how I heard this song in the last few years.

If only he'd knocked it on the head after that, eh?
                        Last edited by diggedy derek; 11-05-2021, 16:23.

Comment

He's a twat and a half, but Caravan is the best part of The Last Waltz and it isn't even close.

Comment

Absolutely he's a twat. But Astral Weeks is a beautiful wonderful album. And I also have a love of "His band and the street choir". "I've been working" is the best soul song ever written and sung by a white person

Comment

What ad hoc said.

Ivan's twatiness is one of the few issues all the local microparties in BT seem to agree on...

Comment

'Jackie Wilson Said'
                                'Moondance'
                                'Into The Mystic'
                                'Brown Eyed Girl'
                                'Gloria' when he was in Them, too.

An absolutely vile man, though.

Comment

Certainly agree with with ad hoc and derek. Also that the man's undoubtedly a twat and a half can't be argued. Thing about quoting his lyrics though is they matter very little, they're audial but that's about it. I must have listened to Astral Weeks a thousand times, but barring a verse or so of Madam George, can quote barely a line.

Comment

It is good to remember that art and artist can be separated some of the time - his early stuff is brilliant even if he was a whiny wanker. But not all the time - if your art contains white supremacist shit like the stuff above, then it's pretty heavily lumped in with the artist.

Comment

Someone should do an article about this with the headline:-

"When did Van Morrison become Van Morrissey"

Comment

I like that point about the blankness of his lyrics

Astral Week is great. It’s always fascinated me that both it and Eric Dolphy’s Out To Lunch share a bassist. Same player on two towering albums in different genres

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                          Certainly agree with with ad hoc and derek. Also that the man's undoubtedly a twat and a half can't be argued. Thing about quoting his lyrics though is they matter very little, they're audial but that's about it. I must have listened to Astral Weeks a thousand times, but barring a verse or so of Madam George, can quote barely a line.
                                          That's true if the lyrics are abstract or oblique, and are mainly there to support the mood set by the music, but not when they are straight polemic.

Comment

True enough, I'd have a problem referring to anything of Morrison's as polemic though — except the religious stuff maybe. There's always a first time, but I'd have hear the songs quoted above before judging.

Comment

'Jackie Wilson Said'
                                              'Moondance'
                                              'Into The Mystic'
                                              'Brown Eyed Girl'
                                              Jackie Wilson Said only makes me think of Dexy's tbh. I know Brown-Eyed Girl. And that Told You Lately thing. Ok cool.

So why do people get all excited about him? A couple of okish songs from a hundred years ago?

Comment

A few more than a couple TBF.

Comment

His songs are popular for drunk singalongs led by cover bands playing weddings and cheesy bars in Ocean City.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X