• Time
  • Show
Clear All

A-ha

Yep.

You do you.

Let's do the arithmetic.

You only know them for this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djV11Xbc914

That's ok, but it's an iceberg. Everything you ever thought about this bunch of bastards, is wrong.

I specifically went to abar, earlier, jsut so I could hear the bassline to train of thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
      Everything you ever thought about this bunch of bastards, is wrong.
      Morten, Mags & Pal always seemed like pleasant chaps to me.

They were always musically interesting; however, they were marketed at teenage girls and it all got a bit lost in the frenzy.

Comment

People can never remember the third one's name.

Tragic.

Comment

It's like Ken from Bros - must be horrible being the one no one fancies

Comment

I'm very much with Gero's last line in the OP - everyone knows the big hits from Hunting High & Low and Scoundrel Days but their later albums have a stark beauty that wouldn't sound out of place on a Scott Walker release.

Minor Earth, Major Sky, Lifelines, Analogue... gorgeous.

Comment

I went to see them with an ex at the Manchester Arena. She was expecting a ‘school disco’ vibe from them but it was anything but. I loved it, she less so.

Comment

Agreed. Great band. Both the early bangers and later more atmospheric stuff. I prefer the bangers, though.

This is a good breakdown of TOM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBfkXJVOvwU

And here is "Steamed Hams" mixed with "Take On Me." It's my favorite of the dozens of reimaginings of Steamed Hams.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iol3Xydcn4I

Comment

The Living Daylights.

Good theme song, crap film.

Comment

Have we done Morten Harket going on the Masked Singer, dressed as a Viking, singing "Take on Me", and NO-ONE GUESSING IT WAS HIM?!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                      The Living Daylights.

Good theme song, crap film.
                      It some good stunts, but Dalton wasn't great, was he? Expectations got progressively lower after Connery left until the Daniel Craig ones.

Comment

I've Been Losing You is an absolute banger.

Comment

The MTV unplugged they did is brilliant. A great example of still owning the song in an entirely different way.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                            I'm very much with Gero's last line in the OP - everyone knows the big hits from Hunting High & Low and Scoundrel Days but their later albums have a stark beauty that wouldn't sound out of place on a Scott Walker release.

Minor Earth, Major Sky, Lifelines, Analogue... gorgeous.
                            Summer Moved On off the first of those albums is a great lost classic, if someone a bit cooler than them (in 2000) had released that song it'd still get radio airplay today.

Comment

Manhattan Skyline is a gorgeous song.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                                I've Been Losing You is an absolute banger.
                                Came in to say exactly this. A-Ha are criminally underrated.

Comment

https://youtu.be/pJqNM19ueMs
                                  I really enjoy the chorus to Touchy!

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                    People can never remember the third one's name.

Tragic.
                                    That's funny, cos IT"S RIGHT OVER YOUR HEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                      It's like Ken from Bros - must be horrible being the one no one fancies
                                      I love you so much right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                        Have we done Morten Harket going on the Masked Singer, dressed as a Viking, singing "Take on Me", and NO-ONE GUESSING IT WAS HIM?!!!
                                        What?

Seriously? (GOOGLING THE FUCK OUT OF THAT... I can't make these caps any larger. It's a thing. I't an actual thing.)

Comment

Tnank you Rogin. My pants have never been more fulfilled. Jonathon Ross going "No it can't be", and the others going what the fuck is this song?

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                            The MTV unplugged they did is brilliant. A great example of still owning the song in an entirely different way.
                                            Jesus Christ C. Thank you.

Man, they were so good live. ARE so good live. I've seen them 4 times, and every single time they were almost faultless.

Comment

That Unplugged thing is a wee slice of fucking joy. Thank you.

*I fucking KNEW that "Sun always shines" was sa duet.

Comment

You 'guys' are the fucking best. I am in a rabbit hole that I do not mind being enveloped by. I am literally in tears. Thank you.

*And I wasn't lying earlier. I go to a specific bar, because they have a fuck you sound system, and the bassline from "Train of Thought" is a joy to behold.

Comment

The video to "Take On Me" still looks fantastic, and I find it hard to get to the end of it without almost tearing up. It's just brilliantly done. It's one of a fairly select bunch of old music videos to have accrued over a billion views on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X