Surprising music choices in adverts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surprising music choices in adverts

There's a TV advert at the moment for the Ford Kuga, which has the prog-tastic Four Horsemen by Aphrodite's Child as its theme.

The other that springs to mind is that weird Dunlop advert that features the VU's Venus in Furs.

And more than one advert (including X-Box) has used 21st Century Schizoid Man by King Crimson.

Nike did an artistic effort a couple of years ago, highlighting the pain and sacrifice of the athlete soundtracked to Johnny Cash's version of Hurt. Which is about drug addiction. This was just before the shit hit the wall about the Nike Oregon project

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
      There's a TV advert at the moment for the Ford Kuga, which has the prog-tastic Four Horsemen by Aphrodite's Child as its theme.

The other that springs to mind is that weird Dunlop advert that features the VU's Venus in Furs.

And more than one advert (including X-Box) has used 21st Century Schizoid Man by King Crimson.
      I think Kanye West sampled king crimson so that might go some way to explain the latter

Comment

Yeah, it's Kanye West's "Power" which is used on both the Ford advert and the aftershave one, both times featuring the King Crimson sample.

One of the reason's for Kanye's immense wealth (other than his immense talent) is him licensing his tracks for adverts and soundtracks, with the advertisers usually being blue chip - his "Flashing Lights" is on a Christian Dior perfume ad.

Which makes him one of the least surprising music choices in adverts.

Comment

Yes, I'm immediately thinking of a Toyota hybrid car. I'm not too fussed though, because I'd never heard this song before, and it's fucking amazing.

A former OTFer had to go into work to redo a nissan Qashqai ad for Ireland, because one of them had been used in a pretty grizzly murder of a woman, and the use of Paranoid by Black Sabbath in the ad was deemed inappropriate.

Comment

Slightly off on a tangent, those bad boys of rock n roll:

Comment

Working...
            X