Bands whose moniker is the full name of a band member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bands whose moniker is the full name of a band member

I can only think of Manfred Mann and Brinsley Schwarz. Are there any others? Maybe PJ Harvey, but the line between PJ Harvey and Polly Harvey got blurred long ago.

Helen Love

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission
      The Alan Parsons Project

The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Michael Schenker Group
      No, they don't count. Jimi Hendrix's full name was not The Jimi Hendrix Experience.

Comment

Yeh, I realised what you were getting at and deleted, though not quickly enough!

Comment

Can I get half a point each for Argent and Greenslade?

Comment

Originally posted by gjw100 View Post
            Can I get half a point each for Argent and Greenslade?
            Too many of those. See also Dio and Gillan.

Comment

Sam Gopal.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                I can only think of Manfred Mann and Brinsley Schwarz. Are there any others? Maybe PJ Harvey, but the line between PJ Harvey and Polly Harvey got blurred long ago.
                Might need a ruling on Alice Cooper

Comment

Meatloaf?

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

Might need a ruling on Alice Cooper
                    I'd say that counts. (Was the first one of which I could think, anyway.)

Marilyn Manson would then have to qualify as well, I guess.

Comment

Daryl Hall & John Oates is the moniker the duo actually use on their releases.

Comment

At some point did Prince not christen himself 'Prince and the Purple Revolution'? He changed his name more often than I changed my socks in the 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                          Daryl Hall & John Oates is the moniker the duo actually use on their releases.
                          That counts because they're conjoined twins. Not a lot of people know that.

Comment

PJ Harvey was the one that immediately sprang to mind. A great power trio.

Comment

Could Quincy Jones qualify?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Delicieux View Post
                                Could Quincy Jones qualify?
                                Is Quincy Jones a band? If so, who are its members?

Comment

King

Again, not a full name.

Comment

That counts because they're conjoined twins. Not a lot of people know that.

I'll try that again....or not.
                                    Last edited by Walt Flanagans Dog; 26-04-2021, 13:32.

Comment

Is Quincy Jones a band? If so, who are its members?
                                      Yes, hence could.

Comment

One or two 'first-name onlys' that come to mind (ie, 'they therefore don't count, but what the hell'):

Toyah
                                        Sade
                                        Errm...Cleopatra?

(Actually, I don't think Sade even qualify for this subset...)

Too many of those. See also Dio and Gillan.
                                        ...and Van Halen. And Montrose.

Mostly hard-rock acts, it must be said.

Comment

At a slight tangent, in the early days of the band quite a few people assumed that Jethro Tull were named after their vocalist/leader - an assumption no doubt due to Ian Anderson looking like the sort of bloke who could very well have been called Jethro Tull.

Pink Floyd referenced a similar misapprehension that occurred at the start of their career in the lyrics for 'Have A Cigar', with the line "Oh by the way, which one's Pink?"

Comment

I don't get this. How can you tell the difference between a singer with a backing band (consistent in its membership), and "a band whose moniker is ...."

Comment

Originally posted by gjw100 View Post
                                              At a slight tangent, in the early days of the band quite a few people assumed that Jethro Tull were named after their vocalist/leader - an assumption no doubt due to Ian Anderson looking like the sort of bloke who could very well have been called Jethro Tull.

Pink Floyd referenced a similar misapprehension that occurred at the start of their career in the lyrics for 'Have A Cigar', with the line "Oh by the way, which one's Pink?"
                                              Reminds me of when my sister's ex-boyfriend told me that he wanted to 'punch Mungo Jerry in the face'. When I asked 'what, all of them?', he just looked at me like I was mad.

Obviously, he meant Ray Dorset. Even more obviously, he'd have had to have joined the end of a very long queue.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                                Errm...Cleopatra?
                                                Cleopatra could have gone down the Hanson route and called themselves Higgins, though admittedly "Higgins Theme" featuring them shouting Higgins comin' atcha wouldn't have had the same ring.

Comment

'Higgins' isn't the most girl-group-friendly name, it must be said.

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                                  I don't get this. How can you tell the difference between a singer with a backing band (consistent in its membership), and "a band whose moniker is ...."
                                                  Well, 'Manfred Mann' the person and 'Manfred Mann' the group were clearly separate entities (albeit with one containing the other). And Manfred Mann (the band) were known and referred to thus from inception.

I think that were one to say 'I'm going to see Quincy Jones tonight!', the immediate reply wouldn't likely be 'oh, where are they playing?', regardless of whether any billing might also include his band. (I rather suspect it more likely that folk would refer to 'Quincy Jones's band' in conversation, as opposed to his name alone.)

Comment

Working...
                                                  X