Motorhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorhead

Going with a general thread title since there's always something to post about Motorhead. For now, the latest photozine from Cafe Royal is focused on the band in 1997:

https://www.caferoyalbooks.com/shop/...trhead-uk-1997

They played Cambridge Corn Exchange in 1978 as well.

Comment

Lemmy sans 'tache I can never quite compute.

Comment

I might have posted these before but if you want some good Motorhead sound-alikes:

https://overdosenyc.bandcamp.com/

https://mower.bandcamp.com/

Comment

Obviously, a thread like this is always going to attract my attention and I love the fact that daniel feels that there is always something to post about Motorhead on OTF. Oddly, though, my (non-Ray) brother gave a print that is very similar to those of Motorhead backstage which now resides in my downstairs loo. He said it was done by a friend of his so I can only assume that is her. I think he got a Cramps one off her.

Comment

I listened to No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith during the Royal Wedding, alternating with the Sex Pistols for obvious reasons. I wish they'd released it the previous week instead of 5 weeks earlier, so it would have been No. 1 on the wedding day instead of Cliff Fucking Richard.

Comment

Bloody hell, it's 40 years old in June.

Comment

Lemmy, enthusiastic wearer of Nazi regalia. Discuss.

Comment

Lemmy is a misogynist, racist cunt who made one live album I liked when I was 15. I don't think he was very bright and, like Morrissey, he refused to grow out of the attitudes he had as a teenager. He defended the regalia by saying "the bad guys had the best uniforms" without stopping to think why he thought the uniforms were the best (i.e. he's attracted to fascism and violence as lifestyle choices).

His previous band had a naked dancer on stage so we are dealing with a Neanderthal in terms of ethics.

Would I listen to him now? No, I think Jimi Hendrix fulfils my needs for loud heavy rock. Would I be personally offended if someone put on a Motorhead track in the pub? No, but I'm privileged by not having to reconcile that experience with being Jewish, female or LGBTQ, any of which could make me feel excluded by that music being on. But I'd be offended on behalf of any minority member who might be in the pub at the time.
                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 27-04-2021, 11:50.

Comment

‘Was’.

(Why has this re-emerged, btw?)

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                      ‘Was’.

(Why has this re-emerged, btw?)
                      Because this?

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...e3#post2446322

Comment

Becase the Julie Burchill thread went off the rails.

Comment

So Lemmy’s Nazi regalia shouldn’t be discussed? OK.

Comment

I've never paid much attention to Motorhead as the music is awful. But Lemmy sounds like a proper scumbag here, and yeah that should definitely be discussed.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                              So Lemmy’s Nazi regalia shouldn’t be discussed? OK.
                              You are free to conclude whatever you want, but I don't see anyone else saying that on this thread.

Comment

Yeh, I’ve drawn my conclusions, thanks.

Comment

I hope you weren't suggesting that I thought that. It should absolutely be discussed. (And for what it's worth, I tend to agree that Siouxsie's flirtation with the regalia can arguably be forgiven as a crass aberration, given that it merely placed her in line with many of her punk peers - regrettable though all that stuff was.)

I just wasn't up to speed with the concurrent Burchill thread at 12.50pm. Which I am now.

(I'm sure you weren't suggesting that.)

Comment

Nope, not that.
                                    It wasn't even a "crass aberration" in the context of the time, if someone had talked seriously about Jews being in any way inferior/odd/evil *in the 70s* punk scene most people would have thought them quite <avoids mental health slur word that was common on here two years ago>. So many in that scene were Jewish: McLaren, the Stevensons, Philip Sallon, off the top of my head. The New York lot. My friend Nina is at least half-Jewish, she was in a band called 4th Reich, which she's had to explain to people looking from a later perspective *was a joke* *in the 70s* *at the time*. Siouxsie references Freddie Starr, he had a Jewish mum. His Nazi act was funny light entertainment *in the 70s*.
                                    Yes, the 70s were shit, that's why we got punk, and it wouldn't have been punk if it didn't shock people. A lot of it has not aged well at all.

Anyway, I don't want to derail another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                      Anyway, I don't want to derail another thread.
                                      Thread derailment? On OTF!? Oh no! Won't somebody think of the children?

Comment

No Sleep being reissued with a lot of bonus material:

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/...eluxe-edition/

Comment

Well, it is too late to get pulled into this thread that I stumbled across accidentally apart from to say that Lemmy wasn't a anti-Semite nor a racist. He never said one thing that suggested that he was and he never wore a swastika as far as I know (and, as you can imagine, I am fairly aware of his work) unlike Souixsie, Sid Vicious or Zodiac Mindwarp. He certainly never talked about the Nazis in any positive way (unlike, say, Bowie) or referred to them in his songs (unlike, say, Iggy). Was he sexist? Yes, I have to say that he probably was but, there again, he championed female musicians at a time and place when it wasn't common to. I always think of this quote when people say ignorant stuff about Lemmy, ""For me it was Little Richard that was the king. Imagine being black and gay from Macon Georgia"

Comment

Working...
                                          X