Artist/Band-defying songs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Artist/Band-defying songs

Songs that go against the genre in which an artist or band is known for.

I'll start with this lovely, gentle little song by pop-punksters Green Day:

Sweet and Low - Fugazi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIxAa0shpx0

Comment

Julie Ocean - Undertones

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rVrgauVv-fQ

Comment

I remember seeing FNM perform this cover of a Bee Gee's song on late night gross-out show the Word, and his voice blew my socks off.
        The video features David Hoyle and a young Martin Freeman.

Comment

I remember their early punk outings, but I don't know a whole lot about Angelic Upstarts: clearly, the subject matter is not atypical of their later work, but suffice to say that I was surprised by this, Mensi's touching tribute to Solidarnosc from 1983:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owrVQebWCtc

Comment

On their Houses of the Holy album Led Zeppelin had a funk influenced track called ‘The Crunge’ and piece of cod reggae excruciatingly entitled ‘D’Yer Make’r’. They were both knuckle-chewingly awful.

Comment

Roger McGuinn's un-Byrds-like dive into punk rock. Rock and Roll Time

Comment

For those people that mostly know Love Me Do and Yellow Submarine etcetera...

Comment

Great shout.
                  Still sounds fresh now.

Comment

The Beach Boys had a few. 'Cabinessence', 'Mrs O'Leary's Cow', 'Wonderful.'

Comment

'Trader' is one that seriously surprised me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Delicieux View Post
                        Great shout.
                        Still sounds fresh now.
                        Tomorrow Never Knows may well still sound fresh in another 50+ years.

Comment

"But...but...they were just a 'glorified boy band', or (insert other ill-judged cliche here)."

As regards The Beatles, there were so many handbrake turns one could probably fill the entire thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                            On their Houses of the Holy album Led Zeppelin had a funk influenced track called ‘The Crunge’ and piece of cod reggae excruciatingly entitled ‘D’Yer Make’r’. They were both knuckle-chewingly awful.
                            I worked with a big led zeppelin fan, that was the album he loaned me and I didn't feel the need to delve deeper afterward, those two tracks being part of the reason.

Comment

"Jump" by Van Halen seem musically a massive diversion from their normal output at the time. Now, I am not sure it was.

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                              Wednesday Week also felt like a left turn.

Motorhead strayed from their usual sturm und drang later in their career with songs like "1916" (pretty much Lemmy singing over a cello), "Love Me Forever" (a ballad) and "Whorehouse Blues" (an acoustic country/blues song with Lemmy on harmonica).

Ramones version of "Baby I love you" was a definite departure from the norm even for the "End Of The Century" album

"Rapture" by Blondie sort of fitted in inasmuch as they had already flirted with disco in "Heart OF Glass" and reggae in "The Tide Is High" but rap was so new and this was the first time it had been incorporated into a mainstream hit. Obviously, it laid the way for a lot of rap crossover atrocities.
                              Last edited by Bored Of Education; 11-04-2021, 11:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                "Jump" by Van Halen seem musically a massive diversion from their normal output at the time. Now, I am not sure it was.
                                That's more of a "sign of things to come" song, with the increasing influence of synths during the Hagar era.

Comment

Talking of Van Halen - it doesn’t seem so looking back, but at the time Michael Jackson’s Beat It was quite a departure from his more typical RnB / funk / soul vibe previously, into something a lot rockier. The guitar solo seemed pretty radical at the time.

Comment

Happy Talk by Captain Sensible.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Delicieux View Post

I worked with a big led zeppelin fan, that was the album he loaned me and I didn't feel the need to delve deeper afterward, those two tracks being part of the reason.
                                      If he had loaned you the second, third or fourth album
                                      you may have been more enamoured. It’s wildly unfashionable these days to admit to having been a Zeppelin fan - not least because Jimmy Page’s dark sexual history was subsequently revealed - but they were damned good over those albums.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                        Talking of Van Halen - it doesn’t seem so looking back, but at the time Michael Jackson’s Beat It was quite a departure from his more typical RnB / funk / soul vibe previously, into something a lot rockier. The guitar solo seemed pretty radical at the time.
                                        He only did the solo. Steve Lukather did the rest of the guitars.

And Jeff Porcaro, who probably belongs on the Prolific thread given the amount of stuff he played on, was the drummer.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                                          It’s wildly unfashionable these days to admit to having been a Zeppelin fan - not least because Jimmy Page’s dark sexual history was subsequently revealed - but they were damned good over those albums.
                                          I'm wildly unfashionable. Brilliant music.

Comment

Neil Young was (unsuccessfully) sued by his record company for making an "unrepresentative" album (Trans).

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                                              Neil Young was (unsuccessfully) sued by his record company for making an "unrepresentative" album (Trans).
                                              Oh yes, definitely fits the bill. As does Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                                                Wasn't Metal Machine Music along the same unrepresentative of the artist lines?

Comment

Too slow...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X