Acts You're Surprised Released More Than One Studio Album

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acts You're Surprised Released More Than One Studio Album

Ritchie Valens had two, despite dying at 17 and his career (1957-1959) being before the album format really took off for solo rock acts

Norman Greenbaum, one-hit wonder on the UK singles chart but four non-charting albums (3 solo, 1 with Dr. West's Medicine Show and Junk Band)

Note: "you're surprised" is a deliberate qualifier: it's OK to be surprised or non-surprised by each item from another poster depending on your experiences.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 01-04-2021, 11:35.

Babylon Zoo. The surprise is mainly that EMI actually bothered to release it, three years after his first effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
      Norman Greenbaum, one-hit wonder on the UK singles chart but four non-charting albums (3 solo, 1 with Dr. West's Medicine Show...
      The real oddity here is this last bit, considering that his one hit Spirit In The Sky was taken back to Number One in the '80s by Doctor and the Medics. Coincidence?

Comment

I guess Dr Hook must've taken over Medicine Show-responsibilities soon after.

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
        Babylon Zoo. The surprise is mainly that EMI actually bothered to release it, three years after his first effort.
        There are a considerable number of people surprised that he put put out more than one single, let alone album.

Plastic Bertrand apparently released ten studio albums.

You heard right.

Comment

Stiltskin would be another one in the Babylon Zoo bracket, as they were made famous by a jeans advert too.

The Rembrands - 7 albums and a greatest hits

Sixpence None the Richer - 6 albums

Another 90s one hit wonder, Deep Blue Something's hit was off their second album.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
            I guess Dr Hook must've taken over Medicine Show-responsibilities soon after.
            Yes, that crossed my mind too!

Comment

The lead singer was Doctor before he formed the band. He took the name partly because he was a DJ (who often use that monicker) and partly after Dr. John.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...medics-1799843

Comment

Leonard Nimoy released five studio albums, despite no obvious singing talent.

I do have a soft spot for The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins though.

Comment

Irish band The Pale had one big hit in Ireland in the early 90s.I assumed that they were a one album band, it turns out that not only are they still going, they've released 12 albums.

Comment

The Cheeky Girls released 2 albums.

Comment

Chesney Hawkes released five LPs. Glenn Madeiros has made ten.

Comment

GG Allin recorded and released a surprising amount of music for someone who I personally would be reluctant to allow near delicate electronic equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                          The lead singer was Doctor before he formed the band. He took the name partly because he was a DJ (who often use that monicker) and partly after Dr. John.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...medics-1799843
                          That's a great interview, cheers Satch!

Comment

Nick Kamen scored a record deal on the back of taking off his kegs on an advert, and as he was signed to Sire, he was lucky enough to get a cast off Madonna track "Each Time You Break My Heart" as his debut single, with herself providing backing vocals. I would have assumed that he then had a lesser hit with his second single, and would have been quietly dropped once the album failed to make a lasting impact.

It turns out Kamen has made 5 albums, plus a greatest hits - he was popular in Europe, especially Italy, where 4 albums were top 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                              Stiltskin would be another one in the Babylon Zoo bracket, as they were made famous by a jeans advert too.
                              They didn't even exist until that jeans advert.

Comment

It Bites have recorded FIVE studio albums and have released two live DVDs.
                                It Bites.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post

They didn't even exist until that jeans advert.
                                  Peter Lawlor, the man who essentially was Stiltskin before they sourced some personnel (wrote the music and played all the instruments), has a side gig as a prominent economist, becoming Chief Economist of Deutsche Boerse, i.e. the German Stock Exchange. Which is quite impressive. I thought it was a bit of Wiki vandalism or confusion with someone of the same name, but it is true. I guess that explains why he wasn't interested in the reformed Stiltskin.

Comment

Indiepop legend Amelia Fletcher is also an eminent economist and picked up a CBE last year for her services in that field.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                      It Bites have recorded FIVE studio albums and have released two live DVDs.
                                      It Bites.
                                      Very much a case of two quite distinct incarnations of the band with 15 or so years between them. Although not really my cup of tea, the current (since 2006) version is very well-regarded in UK Prog circles.

Comment

Thanks for this which prompted me to discover Norman Greenbaum's website

Comment

Well, that certainly looks like the website of a one-hit-wonder...

Comment

Website Designed By: Elegant Image Studios, Inc.
                                            I can't believe that website was designed by anyone.

Comment

Working...
                                            X