Save the Sheaf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Save the Sheaf

Posting this here on behalf of a friend involved in the live Oxford music scene. Sign if you want. Thanks.

"Would you believe, the last gig venue in Oxford centre, and one of only two medium size venues within a good 10 mile radius (and the only one with a truly broad spectrum of genres on offer), is under threat to be turned into (you guessed it) student accommodation? That's Oxford, to which even 5 years ago people used to deliberately move to start a band, because of the infractsructure, There's a whole campaign to address the planning application, which is ace, but if we can get 1500 signatures on this petition in the next couple of days we'll be able to address the city council separately, which will allow plenty of talk about the cultural and social value of the venue, rather than the specifics of planning regs.

So, if any of you fancied taking 60 seconds to sign this, I'd be vastly grateful. https://www.change.org/p/oxford-city-co ... eaf-oxford

All of Oxford's biggest post-Supergrass musical exports (Foals, The Young Knives, Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs, Stornoway, Glass Animals) all starting playing at this venue (plus The Cellar, which was forced to close 2 years ago exactly, and has sat empty since), and it also houses The Spin, considered one of the bast jazz clubs in the country. I'm sure none of you have ever visited, but I'm sure you've all been somewhere similar, or can imagine why it's so valuable."

Signed. Independent venues are of massive importance.

Comment

Signed. Live venues are hard to come by . Best wishes on saving this one.

Comment

Oddly, I don't recall ever going to gigs at the Sheaf. We used to go there to have post-game beers: it was a great pub. But that was when I was living in London so I tended to leave too early for live music (if you drank from 5:30 until 11, then the bus home would have been really miserable).

It's all changed since my day. My major pub-based gig going was upstairs at the Jericho Tavern, which I think is still going. But most of the other places have probably gone.

Comment

Update from my mate:

"There were over 1500 objections raised to the planning application, and the building's owner withdrew the app before it got to a public meeting to consider it (signs were strong that the council would reject it, although nobody knows for sure - there were also a couple of technical issues that were raised about the architectural plans, I believe, which may have been important).

Sadly, this isn't necessarily good news. The expectation is that the owner will sell a new lease solely for the downstairs pub, and leave the first floor fallow. Sadly, although there are legal and procedural barriers to the owner of a building changing the use of their asset from a cultural or community purpose, there are none to stop them making no use of their asset at all. How depressing."

Comment

Working...
          X