X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bands/singers that turned out to be fascist

Mumford and Sons

https://twitter.com/slummymummy_/status/1368335756381523976?s=21

I know next to nothing about them, but somehow I'm not surprised.

Comment

Nobody with ears or taste would willingly listen to those cunts anyway.

If you look at his Twitter feed - and I’ve done it so don’t feel you have to - it’s dominated by Hong Kong but scroll far enough and it’s sucking up to the Tory government just as you’d expect from these public school pricks who’ve gained so much from their inherited advantages and fear anything that might make them have to get by on their own non existent abilities.

Comment

It did lead to somebody linking this though:

https://thequietus.com/articles/0512...s-mumford-sons

Comment

They’re not the first I’d think of. But a moment’s thought lets me realize that modern Folkies and particularly Fauxkies like Mumford are a reactionary lot who are harking back to halcyon days. They’re a people looking back at a rustic rural past with some of the whitest music ever. It’s not a great leap from that outlook to some pretty dodgy politics

Comment

My fondness for Carey Mulligan has been a tad tainted since I learned she was married to one of this “banjo wielding troupe” as they were named in that Quietus article. Now I’m even more conflicted.

Comment

haha load of middle class twats digging out a load of middle class twats lol

Comment

haha bloke assumes class status of posters in a weird attempt to own them lol

Comment

I don't think enough has been made of Andy Partridge's Holocaust-denying comments from a couple of years ago on here. He says he was taken out of context but by all accounts, he doesn't seem like the most pleasant of people anyway.

Comment

The Mumfords always seemed pretty bad, but I didn't know they were...anti-anti-fascists.

That Quietus piece though...FFS. I guess you'd hope in the decade and more since they've learned a bit more about using that kind of language.
                    Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 07-03-2021, 09:52.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                      I don't think enough has been made of Andy Partridge's Holocaust-denying comments from a couple of years ago on here. He says he was taken out of context but by all accounts, he doesn't seem like the most pleasant of people anyway.
                      Took me a bit to find what you were talking about (also had to look up who he is). Looks bad and of an ilk - some Assadist trutherism in there too.

Comment

On the other hand Godspeed You! Black Emperor put out a statement before the new album

...and the ham-radio dads talk to each other all night long.
                        about their dying wives and what they ate for lunch and what they'll do with their guns when antifa comes.

this record is about all of us waiting for the end.
                        all current forms of governance are failed.
                        this record is about all of us waiting for the beginning,
                        and is informed by the following demands=
                        empty the prisons
                        take power from the police and give it to the neighbourhoods that they terrorise.
                        end the forever wars and all other forms of imperialism.
                        tax the rich until they're impoverished.

much love to all the other lost and lovely ones,
                        these are death-times and our side has to win.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                          That Quietus piece though...FFS. I guess you'd hope in the decade and more since they've learned a bit more about using that kind of language.
                          I remember reading it at the time and being surprised that Mark E Smith's free pass extended as far as them writing a story just to showcase that quote.

Will the rest of the Mumford group feel compelled to disassociate themselves from and apologise for their pro-fa colleague, as Blur used to do when cheese guy became an embarrassment?

Comment

They saw the sign, and it was shaped like a swastika
                            Before he founded Ace of Base, Ulf Ekberg was a neo-Nazi skinhead. Did Ekberg use Ace of Base's success as an opportunity to erase his neo-Nazi past and rise to a position of geopolitical influence?

Comment

Mumfords = fancy dress fascists

Comment

Are we using this thread to walk around the elephants in the room, David Bowie's supposed fascination with fascism while he was in Berlin and Sid Vicious and Lemmy knocking about in Nazi regalia?

Comment

That was decades ago, Rog, and they’re all dead.

Nice to see the Sleaford Mods calling out the Mumford bloke.

Comment

I thought the elephant in the room was Kula Shaker.

Comment

This did make me giggle

https://twitter.com/Hankinshaw/status/1368565434832785414

Comment

https://twitter.com/profdanhicks/status/1368506210555727874?s=21

Comment

"Lads, did you bring the meat? I need the meat!"

Comment

To steal a tweet, this is the best news Nickleback have had in ages.

Comment

The Trustfund Wurzels haven't released anything in ages, have they? It's possible I missed an album, granted...

Comment

following in Frank Turner's footsteps socially, musically and politically then...

i'd honestly be amazed if there are aristos who are into consciously apolitical interpretations of english "folk" music who don't turn out to be fascists. laura marling maybe? though she's extremely circumspect about any political views she might hold

Feel like that sort of engagement with the aesthetics of folk music without the content is just harking back to the good old days when the redcoats would massacre any of the working classes who didn't know their place.
                                                Last edited by Bizarre Löw Triangle; 07-03-2021, 19:16.

Comment

Originally posted by scratchmonkey View Post
                                                  It did lead to somebody linking this though:

https://thequietus.com/articles/0512...s-mumford-sons
                                                  "Dire banjo weilding troupe", everyone's a critic, eh?

But seriously, who's this individual they (?) have name checked / liked / applauded / agreed with?

I noticed in passing they're supposed to be opposed to antifa too, is this the same thing?

(Rather than go down a Twitter / interwebs rabbit hole, I thought I'd ask wsc)

Comment

Working...
                                                  X