No announcement yet.

The Big No Gig Thread 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't go to New Order though. I did go to Idles however...

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
      (Yes, it is an actual launderette...)

What venue is that? Is the band The Primitives?

Comment

Yes, The Primitives in the Old Cinema Launderette in Durham.

Incidentally they let it be known today that this is their final UK tour, but they will still be doing festivals next year.

Comment

The only problem with that Primitives photo is that it reminds me of using Tide in a hotel laundrette in the US and having to go out and buy new clothes to stop my skin burning.

Comment

It may not have been real Tide (though it is also possible that it was)

Comment

My wife reacts to Tide, too.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                It may not have been real Tide (though it is also possible that it was)
                Bootleg laundry powder? It has a Runyonesque charm until you find yourself on the wrong end of it.

The offending detergent in this case was sealed in a single load mini-box so fair play if anyone was going to those lengths to make the switch.

Comment

Yeah, sounds like a bit more work than refilling ketchup bottles.

There is conspiracy theory that Tide made its standard formula more toxic so as to boost sales of its various "gentle" formulations, which sell for a premium.
                  Last edited by ursus arctos; 13-09-2021, 20:51.

Comment

I pulled a super amateur move and got on the radio in LA when I was 18. The Primitives were being interviewed and I was managing a band that had a similar kind of sound, so I used that call to compliment the Primitives and then promote my band's show that weekend.

Not quite as small as a laundromat, but Metallica played a surprise show in Chicago on Wednesday at Metro (capacity 1100). Tickets were only $20USD. People had to line up to get a wrist band, show proof of vaccination, and then could come back later for the show. I was working at the time so couldn't get in line. I haven't liked a Metallica record since And Justice for All, but to see them in that size venue would have been dope. The band hadn't played that venue since 1983. Here is a video of that show that Metallica used to help fundraise for some cause (can't remember which).

Comment

danielmak - I had wondered if you made it in to that. It would have been fun for sure, but seeing Metallica now feels to me like seeing the Rolling Stones in the 90s

Comment

The Go-Go's are touring the UK next year...supporting Billy Idol. I'd really like to see the former but have little to no interest in the latter (sorry, Billy). Should I bite the bullet and buy a ticket just for the opening act or hold off and hope that they announce a standalone date while they're over?

Comment

Hold off, if it comes to it and you're required to go to Billy Idol you'll easily get a ticket off Twickets or whatever? Looking at the dates I'd bet on them showing up at Glastonbury and/or British Summer Time while they are here (neither of which help your predicament, I know).

Comment

You're absolutely right, Walts. I think my booking game is a bit rusty, unlike my calendar amending skills...

Comment

After the chaos of the last 18 months, with dates moving, clashing, moving again, the other week I stopped myself buying Pavement tickets 14 months in advance and will reconsider when I have more of an idea what I'll be doing that week. I've got a bit of faith in Twickets now that more people seem to be using it.

Comment

Band Of Holy Joy are at Camden Powerhaus next week. Not heard any of their records for years but hard to imagine they wouldn't still be great live. Sadly it's way too soon for me to be comfortable going.

Comment

I would have been tempted by BOHJ but I'm going to a synthpop double bill of Alice Hubble and Hattie Cooke that night.

Based on my handful of recent outings, if you are feeling wary of crowds then the experience on the night is unlikely to reassure you.

Comment

I've not really read the music threads much since returning to OTF, but it's been good to read everyone's gig experiences since the world started returning to something approaching normal. Like many people, live music has been a huge miss for me over the last 18 months, so the return of regular gigs has made me a very happy, if slightly poorer man. Managed to get to a few festivals dotted around the country, Manchester Psych Fest was ridiculously overpopulated and it overwhelmed me a bit, Long Division in Wakefield was decent but attended by lots of miserable bastards, and the team behind the Humber Street Sesh here in Hull threw together a quick replacement festival which was most enjoyable and boozy.

As for local gigs, we've had some decent stuff coming our way, our first 'proper' gig was Blinders at Social (the venue formerly known as Fruit), we've got Dream Wife and Chubby and the Gang coming up at the reopened Polar Bear and the legendary Adelphi has had some absolute barnstormer gigs, including Idles playing to a packed house on a night that I'll never forget.

Comment

Dropkick Murphys ( I can take or leave) supported by the Interrupters ( who I love) playing Dublin in February 2022. I'm going, if I can get Ticketbastard to accept my credit card ( never a foregone conclusion)

Comment

Really contemplating going to see Idles on Friday. Would much prefer it was a room of 100 people like last time rather than a few thousand.

Comment

I know two people (and have heard similar social media comments from several more) who tell me that the current Nick Cave/Warren Ellis tour is something very special indeed.

Comment

So, I went to see Idles. Masking was comfortingly impressive and I found a really good spot to stand - they had taped off an area on the side which was meant to be a corridor, so about 15 of us stood in space with the mass of the standing crowd about 10ft away. Cannot fathom how people are cool with being in that.

As for the band - it is a show now rather than a gig. They are really tight, good fun and all but it isn't the unpredictable joy of a few years ago. Suppose when you are on album 4 vs album 1 and can pay your bills comfortably now that is bound to happen.

Comment

Damn. Very jealous of this. Loving their new track and I'd be very happy to go see them.

Comment

WOM I am super happy for them - they are a lovely bunch of guys. Excited about the new album as I think it is going to be rather different. I am not quite sure why anyone would see them multiple times on a tour any more but they are a cracking live act who clearly thrive on being on stage.
                                                Last edited by caja-dglh; 09-10-2021, 23:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                                                  I know two people (and have heard similar social media comments from several more) who tell me that the current Nick Cave/Warren Ellis tour is something very special indeed.
                                                  It is indeed - went to the Sage with my daughter a couple of weeks ago and it was quite an evening - I've seen him with the Bad Seeds a few times (and will again next year) but this set up gave room to the Carnage and Ghosteen material which would get trampled in a full band show.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

"Like". Should be even more interesting given the apparent evolution of the sound.
                                                    Wound up going to this last night (I skipped Lightning Bolt as I've seen them before in a much better venue and I had a social engagement with friends come up) -- very interesting show conceptually as they played the new album in its entirety to start with and teased the crowd with the concept that that would be it, then had possibly the fastest jump-back-out for an encore I've ever seen, where they came back out and played the big hits from the earlier stuff.

Really great show, marred a bit by the sound mixing being off on the first few songs (vocals being too low), once things got sorted out it was a great time, with the band being very appreciative as well, they must have said "thanks for being here" 8-10 times, as well as saying "live music, it's so special, I hope you're enjoying it as much as we are". I certainly did, and didn't even mind a fellow gray-hair sweatily embracing me at the end of the show while exclaiming his joy incoherently (I did strip off entirely and take a shower when I got home though).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X