Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Big No Gig Thread 2021

Glastonbury cancelled.

Hardly surprising and doesn't bode well for others. We're due to go to Deer Shed in July but I'd expect that to be a goner as well.

Comment

No not a surprise at all but still a sobering moment. We've got deposits down for End of the Road, partly on the basis of it being one of the last in the summer and therefore having a slightly better chance of going ahead.

Comment

Have tickets for the Specials in early July, held over from last year. My friend got his daughter tickets for Longitude for Christmas, with Kendrick Lamar headlining. Not on until the end of August, but probably doubtful

Comment

Terrorvision this week moved their end of April gig to September, Eisbrecher's first ever UK gig at the end of March must surely be a goner (it's off the bands website but not the venue) and I have little optimism that Rammstein will be making it to these shores in June.

Comment

I've got tickets for New Order's Heaton Park show in September and will be pleasantly surprised if that goes ahead, likewise the rescheduled O2 Arena show in November.

Indoors, socially distanced Gruff Rhys in late February seems a safe bet for postponement/cancellation, as does the Pet Shop Boys rescheduled O2 Arena date at the end of May. I'm not hopeful for The Damned in July, having bitten the bullet on the steep prices because my brother-in-law was very keen.

The Fallen Women have a date at The Lexington rescheduled for May. If the venue hasn't reopened by then, whether it will return in its current form at all will probably be a more pressing question than the fate of individual shows.

I'm a big fan of Roman stompers Giuda, who usually play 200-300 capacity venues over here. In the future, getting to see them again may well involve the Eurostar.

Not the brightest outlook, all in all.

Comment

At a quick count I'm holding tickets for 30-40 gigs of varying size. Some of these have been moved twice already and are about to move for the third time (there is a logjam around March and April where a lot of tours originally scheduled for spring and autumn 2020 were re-arranged into, with new tours crammed into the same space). On at least two occasions (one yesterday) I've had emails notifying a re-arrangement of a gig that I'd completely forgotten I had tickets for. I went to seven gigs in 2020 before the shutters came down and I'm not confident that I'll beat that figure this year. I'd be surprised if events of any size will be feasible before September.

Comment

At the start of last year I was starting to question my pattern of concert attendance, mainly wondering about the degree which I was enjoying midweek concerts or solo outings to see new acts on spec or instead just booking them out of habit. That was rather left hanging once the pandemic took hold so once events resume with any consistency I'm not sure whether I'll go on a spree to make up for lost time or quietly slip into a more occasional schedule.

Comment

Similar here too, I always had spells where I thought I should be taking things down a notch and being more selective, and focusing better on fewer gigs. But then I'd think f-k it, only live once etc and sometimes you get a gig that you don't expect much from and turns out to be a classic. Once things eventually get back to normal I'll be on a spree initially - in fact if the move to remote working becomes irreversible it will work in my favour in that it will make late returns back from gigs easier to manage.

I also think/hope that I'll support local stuff more as well as there are a couple of venues here that are really going to need every penny to get back on their feet.

Comment

The Pet Shop Boys' O2 Arena show at the end of May has now officially been put back to May '22.

Comment

The Who cancelled their tour yesterday, it having been previously postponed from March 2020 - in fact it was one of the first tours I remember getting postponed during that initial "oh shit it's real" phase last year. I had a ticket for Glasgow, but suspect I've seen them for the last time now. I'm starting to realise that a lot of the old timers will be forced into retirement, or at least restricted to more selective appearances rather than full scale tours.

Comment

Gruff Rhys' socially distanced show has, unsurprisingly, been put back from a week on Thursday to the end of May. The late confirmation of this reminded me that I once had tickets to a festival organised by the same promoter (Rockfeedback) which they put off formally cancelling for a long time after it became apparent that was the most likely outcome, swearing blind to me that it was still going ahead two days before it was pulled. The event was to have been in Margate so we ended up using our train tickets and hotel booking and going to a local bluegrass society's monthly concert, which was highly enjoyable.
                        Last edited by Benjm; 16-02-2021, 14:50. Reason: terrible typos

Comment

According to the doctors who now run the country, there'll be no gatherings for at least 6 months, so all summer gigs are almost certainly kaput.

Comment

If only we could have doctors running the country.

Comment

We've only just started vaccinating the over 80s .Northern Ireland has vaccinated approximately 20% of it's population, we're on less than 3%. If you fancy a mixture of lecturing and incompetence knock yourself out.

Comment

If you think we don't have a mixture of lecturing and incompetence running the show here. you've not been paying attention (no particular reason you should, of course). But I wasn't saying things are great there, I was saying that I hate this country and the people who run it, and doctors would be better.

The NHS is running our vaccination programme, not the government.
                                Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 16-02-2021, 15:21.

Comment

It’s worth re-remembering that while the UK vaccination program is going well, it has fucked up pretty much everything else and has higher infection and mortality rates than almost every other decently sized country.

And that the UK appears to have got lucky with their (admittedly odds-on) guess that a single-dose of vaccine would probably be fine for a few months. If that had gone wrong it would have been an absolutely massive disaster and the government were taking a huge risk ignoring the protocols. They were probably going to be right, but the possible downside was immense and they never even hinted at being aware of that.

Comment

The reason that our vaccine programme has been so good is because the NHS have been in charge whereas everything else e.g. Track and Trace has been run by chancer mates of the Tories. Without wanting to speak for Ton Ton, I am assuming that was what he was getting at rather than any patriotic tub-thumping. You are right about us dodging a bullet with the single vaccine but, again, that was a government decision rather than the doctors' (well, not all of them anyway).

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                    I'm a big fan of Roman stompers Giuda, who usually play 200-300 capacity venues over here. In the future, getting to see them again may well involve the Eurostar.
                                    Our guitarist is a big fan as well. Bands of that size will be only slightly earlier on the gigging comeback than bands of our size playing to a tenth of the audiences (unless they are acoustic duos, I suspect). The issue with Guida also is, of course, the Brexit fallout (although that may have been what you were referring to as well).

Comment

Rammstein tour put back to 2022 - Belfast gig cancelled entirely.

EUROPE STADIUM TOUR POSTPONED AGAIN – TO 2022 – Rammstein

Comment

The Damned have put their July shows at the Hammersmith Apollo back to some time in 2022. Their statement says that they don't believe that indoor shows without restrictions will be possible this summer, which is a growing consensus by the look of things.

Comment

I've just taken a punt on an album-purchase-as-ticket to see Snapped Ankles at Rough Trade East in July. They were one of the crowd favourites at the Rockaway Beach festival a few years ago. Their autumn tour date in London is at the Roundhouse so, all being well, this is a good opportunity to see them on the cheap in a small room. The Roundhouse stands out in size compared to the rest of their tour venues, even when scaling up for the capital is taken into account.

Feeling reasonably confident now that socially distanced Gruff Rhys will go ahead a week on Friday. The venue set up does have something of an examination hall about it but lighting and a couple of drinks will help.

Last edited by Benjm; 11-05-2021, 20:19. Reason: typo...in Gruff's name, aaargh

Comment

Lucky you, live music is probably the thing I've missed the most the last 15 months.

Comment

Any sign of it making a return at your end, elg?

Comment

Not at the moment, Longitude festival in July headlining Kendrick Lamar is gone, much to the distress of my friends 17 year old. I have tickets for The Specials ,held over from July 2020, and I assume they're toast as well. MCD promotions are bullish ( or desperate) that Westlife in Croke Park in August will go ahead, I wouldn't be. The pubs aren't opening indoors until the start of July. I'd be optimistic we'll have live music in September if anything else doesn't go wrong.

Comment

There's a lot of optimism here judging by recent announcements. Promoters are scrambling to fill dates in September for outdoor events so it had better be a mild month.

Further to one of my earlier posts we took the plunge on paying up for End of the Road and they announced their revised line up last week (with most of the American acts removed) and it is bearing up ok. In the weeks before and after that I've got so many things booked that I'm just taking a fortnight off and going on my own national tour in lieu of going abroad this summer.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X