Songs performed as they were originally intended

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Songs performed as they were originally intended

Probably a nil thread, but a couple spring to mind.

Please Please Me
    John Lennon conceived this song originally in the style of Roy Orbison (a la In Dreams). George Martin then (correctly) said, "this would sound much better if you upped the tempo at bit" and the rest is history.

Anyway, here's a Roy Orbison tribute singing it probably more in the way it was originally envisaged.

Feels Like I'm in Love
    Ray Dorset (he of the sideburns and Mungo Jerry) wrote this for Elvis (although I'm not sure if Elvis was aware of this and died shortly afterwards in any case). So the version we all know was done in a disco style by Kelly Marie.

But, as this Elvis impersonator demonstrates, Dorset was right all along.

Good thread. Jacqueline McKinnon- poss my fave solo female vocalist Scot to hit #1. Ahead of Mary Sandeman, Marie Lawrie etc

Comment

Blondie's "Heart Of Glass" was originally a light reggae song.

Depeche Mode's "Enjoy The Silence" was a slow, morose ballad. There are some wonderful videos of Flood talking about this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm2HM44aAJo

Comment

After hearing "Amazing Grace" getting violated by all sorts of miasmas and innovations (Amay-zing is not a word!), I barely remember how it's supposed to go. Which is OK; I'm not a huge fan of it.

Comment

OTF favourites HMHB sample Amazing Grace (in A Country Practice, their searing dismissal of Thatcherism)

The boys are also big Blues fans and occasionally cover Leadbelly in the original style rather than later pop versions

Comment

That's something I didn't expect to learn today! Nice one DG.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
              Good thread. Jacqueline McKinnon- poss my fave solo female vocalist Scot to hit #1. Ahead of Mary Sandeman, Marie Lawrie etc
              Lulu never managed a UK solo number one - she needed Gary Barlow and his pals to help her out, some thirty years into her career.

(If we're including Billboard, then she's 'in' - as would be Sheena Easton.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

Lulu never managed a UK solo number one - she needed Gary Barlow and his pals to help her out, some thirty years into her career.

(If we're including Billboard, then she's 'in' - as would be Sheena Easton.)
                Good er Shout

PS Glasto"s off again

Comment

I don't think you can read too much into demos and songs do evolve over time, but if you listen to the Velvet Underground demos in the box set, Venus in Furs sounds more like Greensleeves, compared to what it turned into, while I'm Waiting for the Man sounds like lo-fi country music.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                    Blondie's "Heart Of Glass" was originally a light reggae song.
                    A "Disco Song", surely?

Comment

Nooooope that what it turned into with Chapman's help.

Comment

Oh, it always was disco. They played with various genres, including reggae, in getting a sound for the song, but the 1975 demo for "Once I Had A Dream" was disco.

Last edited by G-Man; 21-01-2021, 20:37.

Comment

Yes, there’s a good 1975 version on the special edition double CD set with Blondie and Plastic Letters.

Comment

Oh yes, that’s the one G-Man linked.

Comment

Springsteen's original Born In The USA (you'll find it on 'Tracks') was a stripped-down acoustic guitar and vocals which would have fitted well on 'Nebraska'.

Comment

One song that's rarely performed as the writer intended it is "Night And Day". The introductory verse -- "Like the beat-beat-beat of the tom-tom, when the jungle shadows fall...." -- is mostly omitted. Ella Fitzgerald used it, but most singers go straight into "Night and day, you are the one..."

Comment

Who was it on here that linked to The Great Society version of White Rabbit? That is quite different to the later and rather more famous Jefferson Airplane version. Intriguingly Grace Slick did a further version with Jefferson Starship that was pitched somewhere between the two and could almost be considered a transitional form that shows how the original developed into the hit.

Comment

I linked to it somewhere, maybe on a different board. Here it is anyway:

Comment

What'll I Do - King Cole Trio

Comment

These Foolish Things - Ella Fitzgerald

Comment

Working...
                                        X