Interesting interviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting interviews

There are probably 30+ interesting interviews a day in English with musicians or people who are connected to music. I can't say I will have time to read everything people post, but maybe a clearinghouse to share stuff. I'll also make a move to post a longer quote in case nobody has time for the full interview.

To start off, a career-spanning conversation with Alison Mosshart.

And an interesting quote in reference to the differences between The Kills and The Dead Weather:

Sterogum: Besides the things you mentioned, what were the biggest differences for you being in both bands?

MOSSHART: The biggest difference is the style of music and the application. On a really basic level, to have a drummer — and to have Jack be your drummer — that’s a whole other story. To have live musicians. I’m so used to, since the Kills has been a band, walking this incredible tightrope of having a drum machine. It goes against all of your human feeling. You get excited; you want to speed up. You get to a softer part; you want to slow down. You can’t do any of that. You’re just being pulled every direction, and it creates this insane intensity — like walking a tightrope over a bunch of sharks. You can’t fall off: If you slow down and you get lost, you can’t get back on the boat, you know what I mean? You can never hide a mistake. So it creates a totally different sort of tension.

I've always liked this interview with Jack Lee of The Nerves talking about how he as a guitarist came to write a song for the very first time, that song being Hanging On The Telephone (and the first line of lyrics he ever came up with was "I'm in the phonebooth, it's the one across the hall").

Comment

Adam Buxton's recent interview with Paul McCartney was very good.

Comment

I love this interview with Viola Smith, who was a badass drummer in the big band era. The temptation is to say that she was the Meg White or Moe Tucker of her day, but it seems that she was more like the John Bonham or Neil Peart of her day. Look at that massive kit!
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlzCWHw7ZW8

Here's another when she was 102
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP4SKSaGuxs

And a thing when she passed. She died this fall. I don't know if it was COVID or not, but she was almost 108 so she was playing with house money, as they say.
        https://www.today.com/video/viola-sm...07-95956037637

I should make an effort to listen to more big band. Some fantastic stuff. It's hard to imagine how exciting jazz must have been back then.

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post
          I've always liked this interview with Jack Lee of The Nerves talking about how he as a guitarist came to write a song for the very first time, that song being Hanging On The Telephone (and the first line of lyrics he ever came up with was "I'm in the phonebooth, it's the one across the hall").

Fucking hell, that wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post

Fucking hell, that wins.
            That last line: And people who had agendas other than to give me a compliment, started giving me compliments.

By the way, HoZac release a book from Paul Collins, which just had a second printing. If anyone is a Nerves, power pop fan, it seems to have received good reviews. I didn't mess with it since I'm not enough of a fan and have too many books in the queue.
            Last edited by danielmak; 12-01-2021, 22:58.

Comment

The Black Crowes certainly sound like a lot of other bands. They don't hide their influences. For some that means derivative and not very interesting. But if you dig them, there is an interview with Chris Robinson for the Bob Lefsetz podcast that I think you'll dig.

https://lefsetz.com/wordpress/2024/0...weeks-podcast/

Comment

I just discovered Rick Beato. There is some great stuff in there, including all of the Police (haven't watched the Sting one).

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                  I just discovered Rick Beato. There is some great stuff in there, including all of the Police (haven't watched the Sting one).
                  I haven't checked out any of his interviews but he also does YouTube videos where he plays along with songs to talk about what is happening in the song to make the song work. I've seen a few of those.

Comment

Working...
                  X