New Music for 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
    I like the Sleaford Mods/Billy Nomates 'Mork and Mindy' song. Not really the kind of thing I generally listen to these days and Sleaford Mods tend to get short shrift on OTF but I enjoy their records a lot.
    My Spare Ribs LP showed up in the mail yesterday, quite looking forward to sitting down with it.

Comment

Originally posted by scratchmonkey View Post

My Spare Ribs LP showed up in the mail yesterday, quite looking forward to sitting down with it.
      Me too.

Comment

It seems most of their stuff is from 2020 but new to me - Yard Act have some extraordinary potential.

Comment

The new Madlib album is incredible. Though it's more of a collaboration between Madlib and Four Tet, who edited and arranged what Madlib gave. It almost impossible to say for someone who has such a lengthy and varied catalogue, but I think it's Madlib's best. The songs all flow together, as usual, but a lot of them you can listen to on their own and they still hold up as standalone songs. It has his usual humor and approachable style, but there's also a sense of sadness in some of the tracks.

Comment

The new Besnard Lakes album is very good.

Comment

Goat Girl. Listened to the new LP once and am already convinced it's going to be one of my records of the year.

Repeated listens to the aforementioned Still Corners LP has furthered fired my fan-boyishness.
              Last edited by imp; 03-02-2021, 10:53. Reason: clarifying that GG's LP is not their debut

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                Goat Girl. Listened to the debut LP once and am already convinced it's going to be one of my records of the year.

Repeated listens to the aforementioned Still Corners LP has furthered fired my fan-boyishness.
                My friend (and former musical collaborator) Greg - the driving force behind Still Corners - will be delighted.

I think I preferred the previous Goat Girl album, mind. (Or is that the one you mean?)

Comment

My mistake - thought this one was their debut. So it's the new one, On All Fours, I'm referring to.

You can tell Greg that I listened to The Last Exit taking a walk down the almost-flooding river Main late yesterday afternoon and was almost shouting out loud for joy at its beauty and coherence. And, just to be clear, I haven't drunk or smoked anything for over a month. Though I was thinking, "Shit, can't wait to listen to this when I'm baked..."

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                    The new Madlib album is incredible. Though it's more of a collaboration between Madlib and Four Tet, who edited and arranged what Madlib gave. It almost impossible to say for someone who has such a lengthy and varied catalogue, but I think it's Madlib's best. The songs all flow together, as usual, but a lot of them you can listen to on their own and they still hold up as standalone songs. It has his usual humor and approachable style, but there's also a sense of sadness in some of the tracks.

I concur, having listened to it today, 'Road of the Lonely Ones ' is particularly beautiful.

https://open.spotify.com/album/7JD71...QM2mpGWfJAsSaA

Have also been enjoying some Swedish metal today courtesy of Tribulation

Comment

I know nothing really of Adrian Younge, bar what i've read this evening after seeing the forthcoming album The American Negro on Bandcamp, with the title track released this week.

https://adrianyounge.bandcamp.com/al...american-negro

More info here, including 4 part podcast https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...negro-1122284/

Last edited by RobW; 04-02-2021, 19:24.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                        I know nothing really of Adrian Younge, bar what i've read this evening after seeing the forthcoming album The American Negro on Bandcamp, with the title track released this week.

https://adrianyounge.bandcamp.com/al...american-negro

More info here, including 4 part podcast https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...negro-1122284/
                        I really like one of his old albums, Something About April. Presented like it was a recovered lost 70s soul album. He also did a few albums with Ghostface. Looking on Spotify, he's done a ton since then that I haven't listened to.

Comment

I still seem to be on a 2020 discovery journey. Working through a best albums list I discovered Pa Salieu - Send Them to Coventry. Can anyone tell me it was mentioned last year and I completely missed it? It is an incredible album. I see he has deservedly been picked out as the Sound of 2021 by the BBC.
                          Last edited by caja-dglh; 05-02-2021, 21:25.

Comment

https://open.spotify.com/album/6Wi9s...SEyqQ0544NHpNg

This is great to listen to when you've had a couple of drinks and your football team is top of the league. Effortlessly cool instrumentals, with afrobeat, jazz, funk, soul influences. Lovely to lay back and relax to.

Comment

'Walking Up That Valley' by Norwegian band Needlepoint offers more of their charming take on late 60's / early 70's English psychedelic prog (think Caravan and pre 'Dark Side Of the Moon' Floyd).This is 'Where The Ocean Meets The Sky'.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                                I know nothing really of Adrian Younge, bar what i've read this evening after seeing the forthcoming album The American Negro on Bandcamp, with the title track released this week.[
                                I can highly recommend his 'Jazz Is Dead' series of recordings with A Tribe Called Quest's Ali Shadeed Muhammed and jazz greats Roy Ayers, Doug Carn, Gary Bartz and Azymuth.

Comment

Originally posted by gjw100 View Post

I can highly recommend his 'Jazz Is Dead' series of recordings with A Tribe Called Quest's Ali Shadeed Muhammed and jazz greats Roy Ayers, Doug Carn, Gary Bartz and Azymuth.
                                  Thanks, will give them a listen tomorrow.

Enjoying 'Ignorance' by The Weather Station today https://open.spotify.com/album/3KeR5...Rhq-onxjRn5YSQ - will have to keep listening to pick up the lyrics.

Comment

Under-valued genius James Yorkston (and the Second Hand Orchestra) has a magnificent new album out, The Wide, Wide River. It's kind of folk-groovy.

Not feeling the current indie-darlings Black Country, New Road on first listen, but I'm getting used to anything hyped by The Guardian's music critics turning out to be a disappointment.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                                      Not feeling the current indie-darlings Black Country, New Road on first listen, but I'm getting used to anything hyped by The Guardian's music critics turning out to be a disappointment.
                                      Listening to this now. Quite like the music, if not the lyrics.

Comment

I've seen Madlib's new album receive a lot of praise, Incandenza and his positive words convinced me to listen, and I'm glad I did. It's the first album I've been able to sit through in a while where I didn't find myself bored at various points.

Comment

Ah, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Beast View Post
                                            The new Besnard Lakes album is very good.
                                            It is indeed. Something where the songs don't really stand out on their own, it feels like you need to listen to the whole album to enjoy it, since the songs kind of merge into each other and the tracks sometimes go off in different directions.

Comment

Few albums out today that i'll have to give more listens to including Slowthai (i'm just extraordinarily sleepy for some reason). Put on this https://releasedrecords.bandcamp.com/album/acid-snatch now which is heady mix of 90s bleep/breakbeat with some dub/trip hop thrown in for good measure.

Comment

I just heard the new solo album by Buck Meek from Big Thief which is perfectly pleasant.

I even more impressed by Woods’ ‘Strange to Explain’ although I think it was released last year.

On a broader note I’m delving into the back catalogues of both Widowspeak and Angel Olsen (‘All Mirrors’ is exceptional) and enjoying what I find.

Comment

I'm tempted to put this one from Joy in the post-punk thread but I don't think it's post-punk enough. Sounds a bit too Sleater-Kinney at times, which is not post-punk for me. This is noisier though, so: RIYL Sleater-Kinney and No Wave.

https://girlsville.bandcamp.com/album/joy

Comment

Been increasingly obsessed with Eadyth's stuff over the last year.

her latest ep harddwch du with Cardiff collective Ladies or Rage is superb, as is Mas O Ma EP from last year.

https://laterrecords.bandcamp.com/tr...ra-zannah-leah

Comment

Working...
                                                    X