Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow.

Comment

I have reached the rooftop performance. A bit like a footballer who doesn't look like he puts in too much effort at training and then comes alive in front of the big crowd, The Beatles cut out all of the comedy, bickering and indecisiveness. A switch has been flicked and they sound phenomenal.

Comment

Thanks for that clip Sporting. That's some Yorkshire Cricket Club style putting him in his place, isn't it.

Comment

I suspect that one of the main things that is going to come out of this 8 hour extravaganza is the realisation that it wasn't yoko ono that broke up the beatles, but that they couldnt put up with what lennon had become

Comment

Watched part 1 tonight, interesting watch and nice to see them getting on and all, but can't help reacting with a Beavis-esque YES! when there is even a hint of a ruck.

On the day when Lennon is shown to have arrived late, he looks "visibly relaxed".

Comment

Has anyone been bothered by the visual look of the movie? I've seen a lot of complaints about the processing that makes everyone look super smooth and undefined.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                This clip will probably be taken down soon, but it demonstrates the more unpleasant aspects of Lennon's character.

In Lennon's defence, just going by the account on "Pop Goes the 60s", he had spent an insane amount of time going through countless renditions of "All Things Must Pass", playing the organ, and was probably not looking forward to the amount of effort involved in another "Harrisong", as he calls them.

Comment

Lennon made similar sarcastic comments when McCartney was presenting his (admittedly piss-poor) song Teddy Boy.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                    Has anyone been bothered by the visual look of the movie? I've seen a lot of complaints about the processing that makes everyone look super smooth and undefined.
                    Haven't seen it, but the original is shot on rather grainy 16 mm. Blown up to 35 mm and unprocessed, it looks pretty bad.

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
                      "Harrisong", as he calls them.
                      Harrisongs was the publishing company George set up to retain the rights to his songs. Things got convoluted, but this was founded under that name well back in 1964. Whether this was deliberately taking ownership of a jibe to neutralise it, or Lennon was actually using George’s own term is something only the principles would know. And they are dead.

Comment

When George says "I don't give a fuck" he clearly does and is deeply wounded. But recall that George also did "Only A Northern Song" as a jibe at song publishing and perhaps that's why Lennon mentions Harrisongs. I also think that, like Yorkshire racist cricketers, Lennon had a bully's view of what was "Just banter".

Comment

I hadn't planned to, but ended up watching each part straight through in the morning when it was made available. Kind of addictive, fascinating stuff, and I don't consider myself a 'huge' fan. I've kind of been trying to process it, but here are my rough thoughts that I've been trying to get handle on. spoiler-ish, if that's the kind of thing you still care about:

1) Especially in the first part (first several days of filming at the studio), John is a massive prick. He rarely takes anything seriously, is mean as fuck, and doesn't come off half as clever as he clearly thinks he is. It's kind of painful to watch honestly. When he does focus, you can kind of see the genius there, but it's hard viewing, sometimes very hard. Once they move to Apple, he seems much more centered, clearly in a better headspace, and doesn't play 'to the camera' quite as much. I don't know of the drug use situation during this time, but it's hard to not think about what was going on during the days he was 'on' or 'off'.

2) George Harrison has always been a bit of cipher to me, and this doesn't really solve that. He clearly is wounded by several years of the bandmates actions, and seems bitter about the time in India in particular. John clearly gets under his skin many, many times, but at least according to the edit here, it's probably Paul who pushes him over the edge.

3) Paul comes off as a deer in headlights for almost the entire thing. I don't think he really had a handle on what was happening, and seems just to be floundering and wishy-washy the whole time. Maybe that's just what his personality was. He clearly just really likes John, and they do have a good time together, and especially when just 'playing songs' gets along with everyone. But he's doing the 'I don't want to tell you what to do, but this is what I want you do' to both George and Ringo throughout the whole thing. It's annoying mostly because he probably knows this is a problem for the others - especially Ringo, who had already left once right? - but he can't avoid it because he's pretty obviously the only one (until George Martin is on the scene) to really have a sense as to where the songs should be headed. He's also pretty spacy as fuck and John takes him off track super easily. (I thought it was pretty revealing that he had no sense of how many songs had been 'done' until they gave him the full list.) He also never seems to 'snap' at John the way he does with George and Ringo.

4) Ringo, despite pretty clearly being high or drunk the whole time, shows up on time and is pretty much always 'on' as soon as he steps behind the kit. At least that was my impression. I had to re-read some Beatles history on wiki after watching, so seeing that Mo and Harrison had an affair shortly after this was actually a surprise. Basically did nothing to change my overall feeling that Ringo was somehow the most 'on task' of all four during this period.

5) Billy Preston absolutely made the session. As soon as he shows up, John particularly is focused and the songs take shape almost immediately. At least when I watched, this seems to coincide with George Martin also being more 'present', which means the foursome had two figures there they wanted to be on good behavior for. The foursome also pretty immediately recognize that he's added a layer to the sound that was desperately needed. Preston himself is absolutely inscrutable, he just seems like a kid who is happy to be around the biggest band in the world. And maybe he was.

6) Entourage: Jesus, what an impossible cluster to be around, if I'm being honest. Glyn Johns comes off okay, as does Linda. Heather is a cool kid when she's there. Yoko - I still find deeply annoying. (Though the two gags that made me laugh hardest were when Linda says something quiet and insightful and Paul does a "Quiet, Yoko!" to her, and when Heather is screeching into the microphone and John exclaims "Yoko!") On reflection, it's hard not to try and guess of who were the enablers regarding alcohol/drugs/money issues, but it's all just assumptions on my part (not being versed in the full history). But I don't think Michael Lindsay-Hogg comes off particularly well, as he doesn't really seem to have a plan and seems to be pushing the foursome towards things they already said they didn't want. A few others whose names I've forgotten did the same. Bless Lindsay-Hogg for recording all that audio and film though. All in all, it just seems like too many people 'around' at all times and a huge distraction.

Random things:
                          -George hated being on the roof
                          -John fumbled the lyrics on the first time through "Don't Let Me Down" on the roof (never heard this before)
                          -The irony of "Don't Let Me Down" maybe being my favorite Beatles tune of the era, and maybe ever, while being a love song about Yoko Ono is not lost on me
                          -They never really got to terms about what happened in India did they? The easy communication was apparently already broken by or before that point?
                          -I like Linda better than I did before
                          -There are pretty obvious seams that are off-putting in the first section (mostly) where you can see Jackson had to edit conversations onto film that didn't match. It jars quite a bit, but is not as obvious in the 2nd and 3rd section. It works better when he just lets the audio run against a still photo, to be honest.
                          -Nobody could really see the roof from the street
                          -John is really gullible at points
                          -Not many drugs obvious on screen (besides tobacco and alcohol) to my eyes, one mention of a 'medicinal' break by Ringo

Comment

I'm sure much of the detail in this can be argued over but there's a strong bank of evidence that Lennon wasn't someone you wanted to spend much time with:
                            https://listverse.com/2012/05/12/top...t-john-lennon/

Comment

Originally posted by matt j View Post
                              There are pretty obvious seams that are off-putting in the first section (mostly) where you can see Jackson had to edit conversations onto film that didn't match. It jars quite a bit, but is not as obvious in the 2nd and 3rd section. It works better when he just lets the audio run against a still photo, to be honest.
                              That was off-putting in the one I've watched it full - I know they put up an explainer about editing the audio to "representative" footage but it was still jarring when it happened (sometimes in the middle of a properly synched conversation). I watched the start of the second episode before I went to bed last night and the "flower pot" conversation between Lennon and McCartney was better for just being played out against a still, with subtitles - it was like overhearing co-workers in a smoking area having a quick bitch about an absent colleague.

Originally posted by matt j View Post
                              Not many drugs obvious on screen (besides tobacco and alcohol) to my eyes, one mention of a 'medicinal' break by Ringo
                              There was an almost cute moment early in the first episode where they are offered drinks and seem surprised at the opportunity, and reply along the lines off "oh go on, I'll have beer", "white wine please"....

Comment

That's a weird list. The most damning one (which is genuinely damning) they put at 10 of 10. Most of the others are just "huh Lennon was just a normal bloke, not the messiah"
                                ​​​​(in response to Kev's link)

Comment

Gave up at "talentless".

Comment

I've just remembered from the "Let it Be" movie that George will also frequently say "well, do you wanna do Maxwell's Silver Hammer?" whenever he's pissed off with Paul's feedback. He gave as good as he got, but at the end of the day, he didn't have the confidence in his own work that John and Paul had.

I really want to watch "Get Back", but just don't have the time right now, so holding off the Disney + subscription.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post

Haven't seen it, but the original is shot on rather grainy 16 mm. Blown up to 35 mm and unprocessed, it looks pretty bad.
                                      I'm through Part 2 now (the rest will need to wait til later in the week, unless yet another gig gets cancelled tomorrow) and this is actually a topic of conversation between the band (and the director).

I'm no Beatles obsessive but I'd actually willingly sit through more of this, although I've already had enough of Lennon's japery, though the rest of them (particularly McCartney) seem to indulge him (unless in the final episode someone turns to him and says "give it a f-ing rest mate, we've got an album to finish" ).

Comment

Lennon was on heroin in January 1969, which made him very anti-social and also caused him to show up with no songs written. It's possible he reduced the smack intake when he realized he was under pressure to do some writing.

George, yes, is in no-man's-land with his role: not only do his songs get trashed but also his suggestions for guitar parts. However, this changes when Billy Preston joins, partly because I think Macca has finally learned that he needs to be more receptive to his needs, which ultimately leads to George getting a solo on 'Let It Be' and to Macca being very supportive of 'Something' and 'Here Comes The Sun' (Lennon never does this and is really just a solo act who happens to have three Beatles backing him at this point, although you do see John and Paul composing together in patches: 'Two Of Us', 'Dig A Pony', 'I've Got A Feeling').

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
                                          Gave up at "talentless".
                                          Yeah, that's absurd.* Even that list concedes he wrote a "handful of inspired songs." Well, that's a handful more than 99.999% of the population ever manage. And it's bullshit to say that he basically quit after 1965. There are a number of memorable songs after that which are clearly mostly by him.

He was kind of a dick and he did too many drugs and a lot of the shit that seemed profound then wasn't really, but that's because these were guys in their 20s at a time when doing a ton of drugs to "expand" one's mind was fairly novel.

It's very easy to overlook how incredibly young the Beatles were. It was all over before they were 30! And it all went so fast. Just about 6 years between Ed Sullivan and the official break-up. 21 albums!!!! Two-thirds of which hit #1 in the US!!! That kind of pace would drive anyone around the bend. It would take most talented bands 20-30 years to match that output.

I've only started watching this series. It's a bit all over the place and kinda slow. Not sure I have the patiences for eight hours of them just noodling around with songs.

* A former member of our circle hear claimed, as I recall, that The Monkees were better than The Beatles. The Monkees are underrated, but, I mean, really. C'mon. Let's not overthink it.

Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 29-11-2021, 23:49.

Comment

"Something" is the most streamed beatles song on spotify. It's really beautiful. I am impressed though by the extent to which paul and linda look like jon snow and ygritte in the video.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                              "Something" is the most streamed beatles song on spotify.
                                              Citation needed here, because most sources says it is Here Comes the Sun, by some distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                                21 albums!!!
                                                Surely not.

Comment

'Here Comes The Sun' has more than twice more streams than any other Beatles track globally:

https://kworb.net/spotify/artist/3Wr...nTHbHJFl2.html

'Come Together' (combine the two versions) comes second but that might be because it opens the album.

Note that streams are such a small part of The Beatles legacy that they are 1944th in the ranking of most streamed acts:

https://kworb.net/spotify/artists.html
                                                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 30-11-2021, 12:47.

Comment

George gets the last laugh.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X