Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Is this documented?
    Neil Innes tells a story about Eric Idle being seated at the same table as McCartney at some big dinner shortly after The Rutles was broadcast and McCartney being initially frosty towards Idle, only for the mood to thaw a little when Linda told Idle how funny she had found the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
      The original 1970 film misrepresented the sessions because it was edited to make it look miserable for the whole time. This is a correction.
      That's a bit hard to pin down, though, isn't it? Either it was grim or lots of laughs or somewhere in between. It's really all down to the editorial approach.

That teaser clip looked like fun...it really did. But I can't imagine sitting through that whole thing. I'm sure true blue fans will love it all.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
        That's a bit hard to pin down, though, isn't it? Either it was grim or lots of laughs or somewhere in between. It's really all down to the editorial approach.
        Agreed, but you'd have to watch the entire sixty hours of film to make that judgement. As I've no intention of doing this, I'm prepared to trust Peter Jackson on this one.

Comment

My issue with Petridis' review is that this entire film is only going to be watched by Beatles fans who, on the spectrum, are somewhere inbetween keen and obsessive..

Comment

I wonder whether he tried to plough through the lot in a single sitting to hit his deadline.

Eight hours of anything could seem like a slog, particularly if you were waiting on it finishing to be able to complete a related task.

Comment

I wish there was an edited 2 or 3 hour cut, no way am I watching all this. Studio recording is boring as fuck in the main, no matter the band.

Comment

The trailer was absolutely amazing, but there's no way this should be eight hours long. Peter Jackson strikes again.

Comment

He's unbelievable. Everything since Heavenly creatures has been flatulent.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                    I wish there was an edited 2 or 3 hour cut, no way am I watching all this. Studio recording is boring as fuck in the main, no matter the band.
                    On the Word podcast they were talking about the premiere they went to, which was a 100 minute edit, so presumably this will get a release once the novelty has won off the full version.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                      Yes, but you are also watching classic songs being written.

Comment

I would gladly watch it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                          Beatles fans who, on the spectrum, are somewhere inbetween keen and obsessive.
                          Isn't this true of most fans?

Comment

Isn't this true of most fans?
                            I think most people will say they like the Beatles, but I think it's only a minority who want to watch 6-7 hours of them.

Comment

I think most people will say they like the Beatles....
                              [Succession]The Beatles, good band...[/Succession]

Comment

Yes, but you are also watching classic songs being written.

and Don't Let Me Down.

Comment

I think that's the best song they did that month.

Comment

A brilliant song

Comment

I might have to change my tune on the length of this thing. I haven't seen it, but reading people I know on it, I get the impression the length and neutral fly on the wall nature is a strong part of its magic.

Comment

I mean, The Beatles are the most influential artist in popular music, and it's quite a useful document to help properly understand their personal relationships.

Comment

It humanizes them - they are not gods or monsters, just four very talented and still quite young men (Paul is 26) who had great chemistry even in an environment that was working badly against them (at least until they move to Apple).

Comment

Yes, although I haven't seen the whole thing, the clips I've seen clearly show their relationships with each other were close and very rich, and they shared more than most friends do, even when they were probably starting to piss each other off in various ways.

Comment

I would gladly watch it.
                                              One thing about watching a huge chunk of the recording process, is that you're going to get a really good idea of what they were actually like. They're not performing for interview. This is what they were like at the time.

Comment

I am onto episode 3 and I think it is great so far. They seem to lack focus but I don't know if that is how bands record, with lots of goofing around in between serious takes.

Billy Preston is fantastic and adds so much to the sessions he appears in.

McCartney's face when he contemplates the end of the group is a picture of a man dealing with the ending of an epic era, short in years, but epic nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by multipleman78 View Post
                                                  They seem to lack focus but I don't know if that is how bands record,
                                                  Bands that are writing the songs in the studio are going to look super unfocussed. They literally have no idea of what they're doing or where they're going.

Comment

This clip will probably be taken down soon, but it demonstrates the more unpleasant aspects of Lennon's character.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X