Peter Jackson: Get Back sneak preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peter Jackson: Get Back sneak preview

Given the reputation of this footage as a monumental miserable bickering grump-fest, this compilation rather cheered me up this morning; nice to see the boys having so much fun. Can't wait to see this.

Looks absolutely incredible.

Comment

Jesus, how tight are they?!

Comment

Oh, Peter Jackson, no. What a let-down.

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up.

By the way, there's an extended cut of the original Let It Be film on Vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/393843142#

Comment

It's nice to see but I think this is whitewashing the true picture. They were on their best behaviour after January 10th because Billy Preston was at the sessions.

Comment

Maybe that’s no bad thing.

Comment

There are recordings of them planning a follow up to Abbey Road. Tensions of course were there but when they were actually playing music these often took a back seat.

Comment

What's the problem with Peter Jackson? Genuine question, I have no particular love for his work.

Comment

Nothing, his films are great. Which is why I'm so disappointed he's wasted his time making a documentary about the George Martin Singers.

Comment

Didn't know anything about this - that clip is fantastic.

Comment

DOPE

Comment

The clip is great, but this being Peter Jackson I'm worried that he has about half an hour's worth of decent material that he's going to try to stretch out to three separate three and a half hour films.

Comment

If they would release all unseen footage, I'd be obsessed enough to watch all 50+ hours of it, so for me that would be a net win. I think.

Comment

Yeah I must admit when he said they have 56 hours of unreleased film I was thinking how little we will get to see.

Comment

I felt unusually moved watching this preview. Doesn't take much at the moment admittedly.

What a band.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                  It's nice to see but I think this is whitewashing the true picture. They were on their best behaviour after January 10th because Billy Preston was at the sessions.
                                  But this is a feature film, not a historical document. Even if the footage is 60% bickering, I don't want to see a film that's 60% bickering. The focus should be on the music.

Comment

On the subject of bickering, the personalities of the 4 etc., the following was posted on another board and I think the comments are interesting:

"My view of Harrison has been tainted by Geoff Emerick's book (their chief engineer from Revolver onwards), a thoroughly entertaining book and though he only ever saw them in the studio (a telling fact of itself), he certainly saw them a heck of a lot so his opinion on them as people (which he doesn't hold back about), comes across as truthful, for that situation and for the time anyway:

McCartney: nice bloke, friendly, respectful, straightforward. Ludicrously talented.

Lennon: very moody, cynical but also idealistic; could be horrible and extremely nice at surprisingly quick turns but basically warm-hearted. Ludicrously talented.

Harrison: the most cynical, gloomy and unfriendly - hardly spoke a word to Emerick their whole time together, treated him like a lackey. Mediocre guitarist though did improve and same with his songwriting that in the end tuned out some gems. Undoubtedly suffered next to the Lennon-McCartney almost supernatural production line of greats.

Starr: Hardly ever spoke, sat as his drums reading comics while the rest worked on the songs, but when called on would drum like there was no tomorrow and could do this day after day. Good, distinctive drummer who was key to their sound - a 'song' drummer.

The other thing from the book that was interesting was that despite the fact songs tended to be written more and more individually, there are actually very few that they don't all play on and contribute to. Lennon and McCartney would seek help and advice on their songs from each other right to the end, and it shows when you know that detail."

I don't agree with the comments about Harrison's guitar playing being mediocre, though.

Comment

I don’t know if this is the place, but assuming a fair number of OTFers are reading this thread: what would you consider the best, most objective biography/history of the band?

Mind you the Emerick book Sporting describes sounds interesting. Although I assumed Ringo just wanted everyone to be friends and loved being in the band.

Comment

Revolution In The Head in the starting point for Beatles books.

Comment

I enjoyed "The Love You Make" when I read it as an impressionable teen. Though I concede that Beatles fans are not fans (of the book)

For me it's worth reading just for the passage about Bob Dylan introducing them to grass.

Comment

I think in the 1967-69 period McCartney contributed a lot more to Lennon's songs that John did to his but you still get moments when John makes an inspirational contribution. I would mostly look forward to seeing those moments in this film, such as how they worked out the guitar parts for 'Get Back'.

George seems like a mini-John to me in how he could fluctuate between kindness and cruelty. He was the one most damaged by the American tours and by Paul taking over the band. He's definitely the biggest hypocrite in how he'd preach about eastern religious values then shag around, moan about taxes and snap at people. Some, but not all, of that came from unconsciously imitating Lennon.

Comment

George was the youngest and the one most shut out by the main songwriter partnership. These issues must have impacted though I'm in no way excusing him from his hypocrisy.

Comment

"Shout " by Philip Norman is the best biography that I've read.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                                  Revolution In The Head in the starting point for Beatles books.
                                                  Yup.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X