The unfashionable music opinions amnesty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
    danielmak - I think the show Songland gives a pretty good insight into the gap between indie artists and the hooks you get in pop. Most the songwriters at the start have a pretty serviceable song and are happy with what they have got. Then one of your name producers attacks it with the artist who is picking the song and... they basically jam the thing with song steroids.
    I've been computer-less for a couple days, so apologies for not seeing this until now. I'll have to check that out, although can't say I'll watch more than one episode. The reality TV music shows are generally horrible. A good friend of mine works in A&R for a label and told me at one point that American Idol was the worst thing for music because the show is very much about vocal gymnastics and for a few years a huge percentage of demos he received were just singers showing off their range. And I think he's right; the gymnastics are fun to watch on TV but who listens to a singer like that for multiple songs. Even singers like Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, and Xtina (haha) only busted those moves out from time to time and mostly for TV appearances.

Comment

Yes

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post

I've been computer-less for a couple days, so apologies for not seeing this until now. I'll have to check that out, although can't say I'll watch more than one episode. The reality TV music shows are generally horrible. A good friend of mine works in A&R for a label and told me at one point that American Idol was the worst thing for music because the show is very much about vocal gymnastics and for a few years a huge percentage of demos he received were just singers showing off their range. And I think he's right; the gymnastics are fun to watch on TV but who listens to a singer like that for multiple songs. Even singers like Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, and Xtina (haha) only busted those moves out from time to time and mostly for TV appearances.
        It is a rather fascinating show, in that it really is an insight into the "idea" vs the pop "product". So long as you never get invested in the back stories it is a brilliant show for insight into the song factories. I am pretty sure they had Elle King through at one point - the artists they push the songs on are B list at worst.

Comment

caja-dglh I don't know if you listen to the radio much, but WXRT is playing the "at home" version of Elle King's "Let Go," which sounds radically different than the album version. I think I posted both upthread. It's a strange song. Her voice is really good on that one and the chorus is great, but the verses are bizarre relative to the chorus; kind of Zeppelin-ish when Zeppelin lyrics seemed to be straight out of The Hobbit or something. Anyway, it looks like the show is on NBC and I subscribe to Peacock for EPL, so will finally watch something other than football on Peacock and feel like I'm getting my money's worth. I'll check it out during the week.

Comment

I haven't had time to get to Songland yet. It's on the agenda for this week. I figured I'd share this article about streaming algorithms. The article sets up something that isn't delivered so some of the article is a let down but what I find most interesting is how difficult it is to get out of a cycle of either the same kind of music over and over and/or being pushed to more mainstream music.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/spot...loop-new-music

Comment

Hot Pepsi's recently created thread has reminded me that I wanted to mention Gorillaz on here.
              I find the whole thing to be a mile wide but barely an inch deep, especially considering how acclaimed they are.

Comment

Gorillaz? I suspect that they're as equally reviled as they are revered, aren't they?

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                  Gorillaz? I suspect that they're as equally reviled as they are revered, aren't they?
                  I've only seen them treated as complete darlings in the media, and receive a level of coverage that would make you think they've redefined music as a concept, but every time I scratched the surface to try to understand, found nothing but dirt under my fingernails. It was brightly coloured dirt, but dirt nonetheless.
                  It feels like music made entirely by an advertising agency, if that makes sense.

Comment

Well, it was always a gimmicky thing, wasn't it? A cartoon band with real musicians playing offstage, etc.

One or two tunes over the years I've not minded, but I've probably heard as much disparaging talk about the project as I have positive.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                      Well, it was always a gimmicky thing, wasn't it? A cartoon band with real musicians playing offstage, etc.

One or two tunes over the years I've not minded, but I've probably heard as much disparaging talk about the project as I have positive.
                      Dunno, cartoon bands aren't a new thing. It's just that now the technology exists for these characters to perform 'live'.

Comment

To be honest, I'd be surprised if something like that hadn't been attempted decades before - with The Archies or similar, perhaps.

But it's still very much a gimmick.

Comment

I was in the year below Jamie Hewlett at secondary school. I always thought he was a bit of a cocky bellend so I've never really cared much for Gorillaz, but I will concede that the lad can draw a bit.

Comment

Desperate But Not Serious by Adam Ant ought to be as famous as his singles with the Ants. A stunning record.

Comment

I've always loved The [English] Beat, but for the life of me I've never gotten the love for Mirror In The Bathroom. Kids always went mental when it came on at clubs, and it's obviously a showstopper at their live gigs, but beyond the driving beat / rhythm of the tune, it's pretty...I dunno....dire. And does it even bear mentioning "Can I take you to a restaurant that's got glass tables....you can watch yourself while you are eating?" I mean....really? I can think of 15 Beat tunes I'd prefer to hear.

Comment

"Too Nice To Talk To" is their classic, I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X