The unfashionable music opinions amnesty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The unfashionable music opinions amnesty

Post your unfashionable music choices here; the ones that elicit eyebrow-riaising and outright ridicule from your peers.

So on my side:

* I own every Beyonce Knowles LP
    * I've been a long-term fan of Kenny Rogers (which is okay nowadays, but certainly not acceptable in the 80s).
    * I cannot for the life of me understand the high regard people have for Robert Wyatt and Kirsty MacColl.

* I have a longstanding and genuine affection for early 90s rave music - including, but not limited to, toytown stuff like Urban Hype's 'A Trip To Trumpton' or Shaft's 'Rhubarb & Custard', alongside marginally more credible records like Cubic 22 'Night In Motion', Human Resource 'Dominator' et al. Nobody I know has admitted going near this genre since about 1995.

* I could never be doing with Abba. As far as I'm concerned their low status in the 80s was entirely justified. I'm not a natural contrarian or argumentative sort - I just don't understand the appeal of the various eras, and yes people have tried to convince me, and no it hasn't had any effect. Maybe I was dropped on the head by a Benny as a toddler.

Comment

The Pet Shop Boys were never 'musical geniuses'. With the possible exception of West End Girls, they are dire.

Comment

Disco sucks. Always has.
        Last edited by Snake Plissken; 17-12-2020, 12:05.

Comment

Fuckin hell

Comment

Tbh I feel there's more pressure to think of Beyonc? as a genius.

Comment

Tupac was shit. Most of Dre's stuff was shit. Fuck the West Coast.

Comment

But also fuck Jay-Z.

Comment

There are several mediocre songs on Sgt. Pepper.

Comment

I bought the first two Nouvelle Vague albums. And I'd probably still like them if that style/mashup has remained a novelty rather than every ad mans go to.

Comment

I've never got what all the fuss is about with The Avalanches.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                        Disco sucks. Always has.
                        I never used to like Disco when I was younger but I fucking love it now.

Comment

Pretty much the entire music industry output of the 80s was utter shit. New Romantics, soul and R&B, all the generic pop of that era, al absolute fucking garbage. I wish I'd been a teenager in the 70s instead of the 80s as far as music is concerned.

Comment

80s Rolling Stones > 60s/70s Rolling Stones.

Indie Kylie > Pop Kylie.

ELO are one of the greatest bands to have walked the face of the Earth.

Radiohead. Never got them but I know I'm not the only one here that thinks that. Whiny noise sung by a bloke who needs his sinuses checked.

Comment

I’ve heard both Winds of Change and Here I Go Again on the radio in the last month and enjoyed them.

Leonard Cohen’s Hallelujah is the best version.

The Fall are unlistenable rubbish

Comment

I like BTS and their energetic, happy music, which appears to be completely free of cynicism.

Comment

An opinion that seems to render me unfashionable is my complete disdain for little mix and how they dress, while simultaneously being marketed toward under 10's.
                                  Call me old-fashioned, but a group for children shouldn't be dressed like strippers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Delicieux View Post
                                    An opinion that seems to render me unfashionable is my complete disdain for little mix and how they dress, while simultaneously being marketed toward under 10's.
                                    Call me old-fashioned, but a group for children shouldn't be dressed like strippers.
                                    One of the unused lines I never got worked out enough to deliver on stage was "For those who are unfamiliar with Bananarama, they were an 80s girl group. Imagine Little Mix, except not dressed like whores".

Comment

Phil Collins is lauded among American artists in a manner that just doesn't happen in the UK, and even had a tribute album of covers featuring an eclectic mix of artists ranging from Kelis, Pharrell, old dirty bastard through to, er... Dane Bowers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urba...(tribute_album)

Comment

Richard Cheese is hilarious, in limited quantities.

Comment

I started with Paul McCartney and Wings aged 14, graduated to the Beatles by 16, but now in my 50s I listen to far more McCartney/Wings (70s output only) than I do the Beatles. Not that I think the Beatles are bad, or anything, I just can't be arsed listening to them any more. But I still want to listen to Wings. Albums like Red Rose Speedway and Venus and Mars, which I didn't especially like back then, sound fantastic now. Also, Wild Life, written off by a cruel world as sappy shite. And Ram remains possibly my favourite record ever. And Silly Love Songs my favourite pop song of all time.

Prince is an unlistenable mess.

Comment

Macca is a genius and Ram is magnificent.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                              There are several mediocre songs on Sgt. Pepper.
                                              That's been acknowledged for a while.
                                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 21-02-2024, 14:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                                                Richard Cheese is hilarious, in limited quantities.
                                                That isn't an opinion but scientific fact.

Comment

I like Silly Love Songs very much but am still reluctant to delve into the parent album.

Bob Dylan is massively overrated and, as he himself acknowledged, is far less talented than Smokey Robinson (or several other soul songwriters).

Comment

Working...
                                                  X