We Will Always Love You

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We Will Always Love You

Just want to let the OTF world know that the new Avalanches album has dropped...

​​​​​​https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...ways-love-you/

A welcome return from the rather hit and miss Wildflowers

Wait, what... another one, already? I assumed we'd have to wait until around 2032 for album #3.

Bloody hell, no it's real and all. Amazing.
    Last edited by Various Artist; 16-12-2020, 02:24.

Comment

Oh good. I thought Dolly Parton had died.

Comment

Indeed, I didn't know quite what to expect when I clicked on the link...!

Just read through all three of their albums' reviews there on Pitchfork. Great writing, so thanks for the link gt3 .

OTFer Frontier Psychiatrist isn't still around, is he? I can't @ that name, but wondering if the poster is still here under a different moniker.

Comment

Warning: brief thread tangent:

When was the word "droppped" first used to mean "released"? I'm certain not in my day. And why "dropped" in any case?

Comment

I first heard it with regard to hip hop in the 90s, often for singles or albums that were not on major labels and often distributed on the street or in clubs without anything like a formal "release".

It seemed to take off more generally when major mainstream artists started releasing music digitally.
            Last edited by ursus arctos; 16-12-2020, 04:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
              Oh good. I thought Dolly Parton had died.
              That was my fear as well.

Comment

I quite like 'dropped'. Makes me think of the old dansette record player, with the next single dropping onto the previous.

Don't mind The Avalanches, but I don't see what they do as especially groundbreaking. (But perhaps that isn't the point.)

Comment

https://news.cornell.edu/stories/199...mpt-phone-et-0

Oddly, I was listening to the World Service earlier this month and had heard a piece about the Arecibo telescope having collapsed. It was only subsequently that I read about this album and its references to Arecibo...

Since I Left You was the soundtrack to a very particular time in my life...20 years later they've only gone and done it again.

Jah Womble Certainly with SILY it was the sheer scale of the sampling and the imagination to piece the kaleidoscope together. Wildflowers less so. But this is a return to form which really seems to get the moment. For me at least. but then I have just finished reading Lovelock's Novacene and Katie Mack's The End of Everything. So I guess my thoughts are tuned to all things cosmic and mortal right now...

As for dropped, I don't know. But as ever I think ua has probably got it correct.

What is the Dolly Parton reference? And sorry if I scared anyone. I for one am looking forward to our C&W overlord's Christmas Special.

Comment

Originally posted by gt3 View Post
                    What is the Dolly Parton reference? And sorry if I scared anyone. I for one am looking forward to our C&W overlord's Christmas Special.
                    Here you go.

Comment

Good heavens gt, I'm almost impressed that a music fan of any kind, let alone one looking forward to a Dolly Christmas special, could somehow fail to spot the Parton association when using that title...!?!

Yes, that Arecibo connection has made the timing of this release incredibly bittersweet, in a way they couldn't possibly have foreseen, yet which feels oddly appropriate.

Comment

Yes VA, very embarrassing <hand to face emoji>

Comment

Unfortunately forever sullied by Whitney's rather histrionic rendition, IMO.

Comment

Don't believe this should go unnoticed :

​​​​​​https://youtu.be/BAbXOvLzDV8

Comment

I heard a track from the new Avalanches 'joint' on 6Music earlier entitled The Divine Chord.

And very good it was, too.

Comment

https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...nce-i-left-you

Comment

Seeing the thread title, I thought Dolly Parton has died. Dolly must never die!

Comment

It did that to me first time around and now again!

Comment

Apologies guys. I was minded to change it before I posted the note to the new album. But then I changed my mind. I wondered if anyone would suffer the same confusion

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post

OTFer Frontier Psychiatrist isn't still around, is he? I can't @ that name, but wondering if the poster is still here under a different moniker.
                                        That was me, then I did the change your name for the tournament thing as per OTF tradition, can't remember what I used though, and then never went back to FP after.

Comment

Ahh great, thanks for clearing that up CS! I should've remembered.

Comment

Working...
                                          X