Good Public Deeds By Pop/Rock Musicians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Public Deeds By Pop/Rock Musicians

OMD are doing a benefit concert in March in which the proceeds will go to their road crew. They had been due to do it this month but Andy McCluskey has COVID.

Ailing on the Seven Seas?

Good on him - hope he's okay.

Comment

That's very decent.

Comment

If You Wheeze.

Yes, very decent. And completely won my missus over last year. They were firing on all cylinders while B-52s phoned it in from the hotel.

Comment

I'm sure Paul Heaton has put on or is planning to put on a free concert for nhs workers. Plus, when he heard that q magazine was going under he sent money to all of their journalists.

Also, after Prince died, weren't there a myriad of stories of all the good deeds he'd done anonymously?

Comment

The Grateful Dead have a charitable foundation called The Rex Foundation. There's no application process or anything. If they see something in the paper or whatever about a food bank needing a new truck or a neighbourhood needing a new playground, they just send them the money...no strings attached.

Comment

Strummer died straight after doing a benefit for striking firefighters

Comment

Bono saved the world - he should probably get a mention.

Comment

I remember Bruce Dickinson piloting a commercial airliner to pick up stranded tourists.

Comment

Tim Burgess has, er, done a lot of good work for (refugee) charidees.

Comment

Similar to Prince, stories of George Michael's generosity emerged after his passing.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...to-nurses-gigs

Comment

Harry Chapin, an American singer-songwriter in the 70’s was a major philanthropist. More than half the concerts he did were benefit concerts.

He was a key participant in the creation of the Presidential Commission on World Hunger in 1977 and co founded World Hunger Year.

He died in a car crash in 1981 and I n 1987, Chapin was posthumously awarded the Congressional Gold Medal for his humanitarian work.

Comment

I remember listening to an interview with Christy Moore and he said he was asked to do many benefit gigs, which he did, until it got so much that he went to do another and it had been cancelled. Nobody thought to tell him so he arrived at an empty venue and after that decided he was doing too many.

Comment

Working...
                          X