Too old to die young

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too old to die young

Following on from the Spencer Davis thread, I discovered that the original four members were all still alive up to last weekend. Davis was 81, Peter York 78, Muff Winwood 77 and Stve Winwood 72.

So I wondered, who is the oldest group that all the original members are still alive. I'll start with Slade, Noddy Holder, Dave Hill and Don Powell are all 74, with Jimmy Lea a youthful 71.

Aerosmith 'originals' are doing well with Tyler, Hamilton, Kramer, Perry and Whitford all between 68 and 72.

Comment

Despite their notorious debauched party lifestyle, The Seekers are all alive and well and aged between 77 and 80.

Comment

You could reform the original lineup of Manfred Mann (who are all between 78 and 82), and also invite Mike d'Abo (76), Tom McGuinness (79) and Klaus Voormann (82).

Comment

Crosby (79), Stills (75), Nash (78), & Young (74).

Comment

Herbie Hancock's Mwandishi band. Herbie, Billy Hart, Bennie Maupin and Eddie Henderson are all 80, Julian Priester 85 and Buster Williams a relatively youthful 78.

Comment

Mick (77), Keef (76), Charlie (79) and Ron (73)

Comment

Brian might have something to say about that "original" line up, WOM

Comment

All the original members, so Brian Jones death rules out the Stones in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                    Brian might have something to say about that "original" line up, WOM
                    And Bill (83), and Ian (d. 47).

Comment

Nuts to the lot of yiz....

Comment

Okay, so the band doesn't need to be together / performing, but the founding members need to be alive. Is that it?

Comment

Yep, that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                            Nuts to the lot of yiz....
                            Also Ron wasn't an original member.

Comment

For some Cancon, all the original members of The Guess Who (nee Chad Allan & The Expressions) are extent and in their mid-late 70s

Comment

Mahavishnu Orchestra. Rick Laird 79, John McLaughlin 78, Billy Cobham 76, Jan Hammer 72, Jerry Goodman 71.

Greenslade. Dave Greenslade & Tony Reeves both 77, Dave Lawson and Andrew McCulloch both 75.

Comment

gjw100 Weirdly you beat me to the Mahavishnu Orchestra by three minutes. I'd been just thinking, who were a clean-living band?

Comment

Ron (75) and Russell (72) Mael.

Comment

They aren't going to be older than some of the other groups, but I think the original Sex Pistols are still alive (remember that Sid wasn't an original member).

On the reverse front, and I know this isn't the question for this thread, the only Ramones that are still alive are not original. The originals are all Dead RAMONES:

Comment

The members if ABBA are still alive, all in their 70s now. Agnetha is 70 (gasp!), Benny is 74, Bj?rn is 75, and Anni-Frid is turning 75 next month.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                                          They aren't going to be older than some of the other groups, but I think the original Sex Pistols are still alive (remember that Sid wasn't an original member).

On the reverse front, and I know this isn't the question for this thread, the only Ramones that are still alive are not original. The originals are all Dead RAMONES:
                                          Similarly the original line up of The Damned are all 64 or 65 (edit or 66, it appears) so not troubling the leaderboard here but all still alive and indeed announced a reunion tour yesterday.

Comment

Saw them, with just Vanian and the Captain of the original line up ,a couple of years ago and they were brilliant, so I'd definitely be up for that.

Comment

I fancied it but 75 quid is a bit rich for me.

Comment

fuck that!

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                                  fuck that!
                                                  Seconded. I had put it down as a 'probable' but will now relegate it to 'check closer to the time for below face value on Twickets'. They were my first 'real gig' back in the day so I would have gone for old times' sake but didn't realise it was that much til benjm pointed it out (and it's not just London pricing, cos Glasgow is even more expensive).

Comment

Working...
                                                  X