Bands not really deserving of a box set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bands not really deserving of a box set

Ladies and gentlemen, Gene. Nine albums (count 'em).

Given that two of those are compilations and another is a live set, I can't imagine what was left to fill the the 'two bonus CDs'.

I'll give 'em Olympian though. Some good tunes there.

Comment

I'll grant them a Best Of. But a box set is simply hubris.

While we're at it, here's an eight CD set of Evelyn 'Chamapagne' King.

Comment

To be fair to the lads, it's aimed squarely at, and funded by, the type of people who'd actually want an EMF box set, but even so:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...versary-boxset

Comment

It Bites - Live In London Box Set.

Presumably, 5 cds of "Calling All the Heroes."

Comment

8 albums is possibly more Evelyn 'Champagne' King than I'd want to listen to but if you're interested in her work then that seems pretty good value for 30 odd quid. Soul and disco artists' catalogues have often been less well stewarded over the years than those of blue chip rock dinosaurs, so some of those albums may be hard to find or even new to CD. It is potentially a more essential release than, say, the recent 6 CD version of Hex Enduction Hour.

CD box sets are a cheap and cheerful format these days (although the Gene is comparatively pricey at ?50). Vinyl is where hubris and fan gouging both run wild.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
              It Bites - Live In London Box Set.

Presumably, 5 cds of "Calling All the Heroes."
              Jesus, that really is stretching the thinnest the furthest.

I mean, Evelyn 'Champagne' King was a prolific, if not monstrously commercially successful artist for a long ol' time - but It Bites?? (One of the tracks there is almost nineteen bleedin' minutes long - 'it chews' is probably more appropriate there.)

Comment

The Stone Roses' debut album spread thinly for ?120

Comment

Did we talk about the 19CD Shakin' Stevens box set on here?

https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/n...ve-collection/

Fear not - there's a 3CD best-of if you don't have 80 smackers lying around.

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Beryl View Post
                    Did we talk about the 19CD Shakin' Stevens box set on here?

https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/n...ve-collection/

Fear not - there's a 3CD best-of if you don't have 80 smackers lying around.
                    Yay, Oh Julie turns up four times.

To cut Shaky some slack, I know a surprising number of those.

Comment

Bit of a tangent, but someone on eBay Deutschland is selling deluxe CDs of Andrew Ridgeley's Son of Albert for €35. A terrific investment if ever I saw one: I bet they go for hundreds on Discogs.

Comment

Reissue supremos Cherry Red still have it in their online shop for a tenner so someone is having a laugh.

Some of Cherry Red's obscure '80s pop reissues seem to fly out the warehouse and quickly go out of stock. What makes a release a hot item with the snow wash denim clad cognoscenti is hard for the casual observer to fathom.

Comment

Prompted by today's Guardian, here's the Menswear 4-CD box set:

Comment

Hey you get pin badges...

I bought a 3 CD best of compilation of Ace of Base in Asda for a fIver last year. I've only listened to one of the CDs.

Comment

That Menswear set looks like some effort has gone into it and as a package is decent value for 22 quid. It is clearly much more Menswear than many people can possibly need however.

I've enjoyed reading a couple of longish articles about their adventures in the music industry, published around this release, but the story somehow makes listening to 4 CDs of their music seem even less essential than memory might have had it.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                I bought a 3 CD best of compilation of Ace of Base in Asda for a fIver last year. I've only listened to one of the CDs.
                                Careful, or you'll trigger Berbaslug.

Comment

All that he wants is one CD.

Comment

Working...
                                  X