Can't Get This Stuff No More - Eddie Van Halen Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post

That is absolutely joyous. Is the Hammersmith show that he is touting the one we went to after West Ham/Cardiff at Upton Park? The one where you snubbed him at the after show?
    It was indeed that show.

I feel "snubbed" is a very strong term.

Comment

The Minutemen were big Van Halen fans, covering "Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love" on the original version of Double Nickels on the Dime, which puts them up with Creedence Clearwater Revival and Blue Oyster Cult.

Comment

I feel a little bad that a thread about Eddie's loss is occasionally deviating in to a celebration of Dave but, in my defence, they are hard to separate for me.

Anyway, I wanted to share this (possibly not for the first time) as, despite it being a butchered edit of the interview, I've always loved it :

Comment

Weird, not having seen this thread, I dug out that video to post on Facebook today and with a similar sentiment about DLR detracting from EVH for me at the moment. Maybe we are looking for joyousness in a sad week. I was going to add that DLR probably gave better interviews than EVH (and, indeed, anyone in the world) but I can't say I have seen a lot of EVH interviews outside of guitar mags.

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

It was indeed that show.

I feel "snubbed" is a very strong term.
          I know, I kid because I love.

Originally posted by Gert from the Well View Post
          The Minutemen were big Van Halen fans, covering "Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love" on the original version of Double Nickels on the Dime, which puts them up with Creedence Clearwater Revival and Blue Oyster Cult.
          BOC and CCR have covered "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" or The Minutemen have covered BOC and CCR?

Comment

Minutemen have covered Van Halen, CCR and BOC - it showed how highly they rated VH.

Comment

I did think vice versa was odd and, if I had checked, chronologically impossible I expect.

Comment

Ezra Koenig's Time Crisis show shared this interview about Eddie V's recording of Beat It.

​​​​​​https://edition.cnn.com/2012/11/30/s...ler/index.html

Comment

I am not a fan but the last guitarist I can think of that can be said to reinvent the instrument was Tom Morello but, as can be seen seen by his tribute to EVH, he is heavily influenced by him. I don't think he has the songwriting ability, sense of humour (even in playing) and ability to structure solos that EVH did. However, he was trying to do something new which took on board other style not least sampling so I think he deserves some credit for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                    I am not a fan but the last guitarist I can think of that can be said to reinvent the instrument was Tom Morello but, as can be seen seen by his tribute to EVH, he is heavily influenced by him. I don't think he has the songwriting ability, sense of humour (even in playing) and ability to structure solos that EVH did. However, he was trying to do something new which took on board other style not least sampling so I think he deserves some credit for that.
                    The rap/rock thing never worked for me as a genre, but Rage was a band that I liked because of the combination of Morello's sound and Zach's voice. Zach came out of a hardcore background and you can hear that in his voice at times. He was in a band called Inside Out that only put out an EP and were apparently working on a full length that was going to be called Rage Against the Machine.

But to the point of BE's post, Morello's guitar playing was both funky and noisy and heavy all blended together so Rage seemed to stand apart from the other rap/rock bands. There are some Rage songs that I really dig because Morello's playing is really great. But with all of that said, Rage isn't a band I spend a lot of time thinking about at this point in my life and Morello isn't a guy I would chase down. I have no idea what he's doing now or what he's done since Audioslave split up (a band that I never paid attention to).

Comment

I omitted in page one post that I saw VH live at Hammersmith in '78 as well. What a year that was.

Comment

Working...
                      X