No announcement yet.

Covers: Better than the originals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob Dylan's "Make You Feel My Love" has been covered numerous times most notably and successfully by Adele.
    Virtually all of them will have surpassed Dylan's original, on which he sounds like a quavery old man, which is pretty much what he was - I'd mistakenly assumed the song was from his mid 60s to mid 70s heyday, but he wrote and released it in 1997.
    I saw him live at a couple of festivals around that time, and he was a long way past his best, but I guess he could still write a good one.

Comment

The Dylan ones are often good for this thread although I guess they’ve been covered already I’m a tad lazy this evening so haven’t checked.

Hendrix’s Watchtower is far superior, but U2’s cover of the cover is absolutely not.

But I may be in a minority in preferring Bob’s Mr. Tambourine Man to The Byrds’.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
        But I may be in a minority in preferring Bob’s Mr. Tambourine Man to The Byrds’.
        You can love them both. They're very different to one another.

Comment

I much prefer Grace Jones' version of Love Is the Drug to the Roxy Music one.

And I'm also more of a fan of Siouxsie's Dear Prudence than the Beatles' own recording.

I cannot, however, separate Dubstar's cover of I'm In Love With a German Film Star from The Passions' original recording. They're both wonderful.

Comment

Hendrix’s Watchtower is far superior, but U2’s cover of the cover is absolutely not.
            I am thankful that I did not know a U2 version existed.

Comment

I was in that same blissful ignorance until Sits brought it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post

You can love them both. They're very different to one another.
                Same with All Along the Watchtower. Dlylan's songs are, inevitably, written in a way that reflects his personal phrasing, and breathing. It's hard for another artist to ignore that without either having never heard him sing the song (eg: Joan Baez, Love is Just A Four Letter Word,) or moving it in quite a different emotional and/or musical direction (eg: Sophie B. Hawkins, I Want You.) Both are two of my personal favourites.
                Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 17-10-2020, 00:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Cal Alamein View Post

I am thankful that I did not know a U2 version existed.
                  Same album as their version of Helter Skelter.

Comment

Same album as their version of Helter Skelter.
                    You're killing me Sits! Glad I missed that whole album. Though I have to confess that I gave up on U2 after War.

Comment

I like the Power Station's version of Get It On more than the T Rex original. Joe Cocker belts out She Came In Through The Bathroom Window with more effort than Macca probably gave it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cal Alamein View Post

You're killing me Sits! Glad I missed that whole album. Though I have to confess that I gave up on U2 after War.
                        It was Rattle and Hum which I taped off a mate after buying and liking Joshua Tree. I stayed on board up to the excellent but overlong Achtung Baby. According to some on here (Sean? Various Artist?) I should have stuck around for the next one or two.

Comment

I had a copied version of Rattle and Hum as well. I liked that album. I never connected with Achtung Baby but have previously admitted to my love for Zooropa. Probably the one U2 album I'd save if I could only save one, mainly for the last track with Johnny Cash.

Comment

Recently a mate sent me this, Big Maybelle's version of ? & The Mysterons' "96 Tears". What a version!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlGf7y5S6IU

Comment

Speaking of Achtung Baby, Q magazine (I think) did a giveaway CD of other bands covering the songs on it. Nine Inch Nails' version of Zoo Station is brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

Same with All Along the Watchtower. Dlylan's songs are, inevitably, written in a way that reflects his personal phrasing, and breathing. It's hard for another artist to ignore that without either having never heard him sing the song (eg: Joan Baez, Love is Just A Four Letter Word,) or moving it in quite a different emotional and/or musical direction (eg: Sophie B. Hawkins, I Want You.) Both are two of my personal favourites.
                                I think the contrary is true. Dylan's songs, like those of The Beatles, are very coverable. I put together a series of five mixes of altogether 114 different songs covered by different artists. Not all covers are mindblowing, but some equal or even eclipse the original. Stripped of their Dylanesque idiosyncrasies, most of his songs are flexible enough for reinterpretation. "Mr Tambourine Man" and "Watchtower" (which Dylan has ceded to Hendrix) showed the way.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                  Bob Dylan's "Make You Feel My Love" has been covered numerous times most notably and successfully by Adele.
                                  Virtually all of them will have surpassed Dylan's original, on which he sounds like a quavery old man, which is pretty much what he was - I'd mistakenly assumed the song was from his mid 60s to mid 70s heyday, but he wrote and released it in 1997.
                                  I saw him live at a couple of festivals around that time, and he was a long way past his best, but I guess he could still write a good one.
                                  That's one of the songs where one may argue what's the original: the first recording, or the first release. If the former (which opens cans of worms when one brings later released demos into it), then Dylan's version is the original. If we go by first release, then it's Billy Joel's original.

Both versions are rubbish. I think the one that set the template was the Garth Brooks' version, which became the hit.

One cover you might nit have seen coming: Jeremy Irons, in 2006.
                                  Last edited by G-Man; 17-10-2020, 21:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                    Speaking of Achtung Baby, Q magazine (I think) did a giveaway CD of other bands covering the songs on it. Nine Inch Nails' version of Zoo Station is brilliant.
                                    This has come up already. Garbage did a track on it too. (That's not so brilliant)

EDIT - on the No Covers thread https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...44#post2354644
                                    Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 17-10-2020, 23:26.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post

I think the contrary is true. Dylan's songs, like those of The Beatles, are very coverable. I put together a series of five mixes of altogether 114 different songs covered by different artists. Not all covers are mindblowing, but some equal or even eclipse the original. Stripped of their Dylanesque idiosyncrasies, most of his songs are flexible enough for reinterpretation. "Mr Tambourine Man" and "Watchtower" (which Dylan has ceded to Hendrix) showed the way.
                                      I didn't say they weren't coverable, nor that they couldn't be re-interpreted. In fact the two examples I gave are exactly that.

Comment

I stayed on board up to the excellent but overlong Achtung Baby. According to some on here (Sean? Various Artist?) I should have stuck around for the next one or two.
                                        According to me too. The stretch from Achtung Baby via Zooropa to Pop is U2's most interesting music.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                          The ultimate showstopper on this thread must be Otis Redding's transformation of the crooners' standard "Try A Little Tenderness" into a soul anthem, to the point that the crooning version is the novelty.

Soon after, Aretha Franklin's version of "Respect" totally reworked Redding's original.
                                          ​​​​​​
                                          Wrong.

Like I said at the top.

By a woman

(And I hope you'd all know me well enough to know what it is.)

Comment

90s U2 tips noted.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post

Isn't the overplayed Buckley version pretty much a copy of John Cale's reworking of the way too overlong original?
                                              I don’t know. I was in a production of King Lear once though where it was used to soundtrack The Fool’s death, a sequence which isn’t in the script.
                                              Last edited by kokamoa; 19-10-2020, 07:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                I like the Power Station's version of Get It On more than the T Rex original.
                                                Ooh no, missus - give me Bolan’s slink and sneer ahead of that diluted eighties plod any day.

Comment

90s U2 tips noted.
                                                  Yeah, I'd give Zooropa a go if you like Achtung Baby. I have the advantage of having come to both of them late – having meant to get the latter for years without ever actually doing so, I finally got the 20th anniversary 2-disc edition, and then got around to acquiring Zooropa only about three years ago. So they both sound remarkably 'fresh' to my ears, much more so than some albums released more recently but which I've owned the whole time, if you see what I mean. And the latter contains Stay (Faraway, So Close), my favourite U2 song of all, which doesn't hurt.

Comment

Have we had Johnny Cash 'Hurt' mentioned yet?

The reworking of it to make it so different from the original was great.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X