• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Candy Staton - Stand By Your Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbyS...WalterRobinson

Comment

Earl Zinger - Song 2Wo

I just like dubby covers. My all time favourite cover being Yellow Submarine
      Last edited by Levin; 17-12-2020, 13:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
        Fairport Convention's version of Dylan's I'll Keep It With Mine, is the definitive version for me. Certainly preferable to Judy Collins's, which was the first available. Dylan's own bootleg rendering, is... well, on a different plateau.
        I like the Nico version myself on Chelsea Girl.

Although yes, Sandy Denny could probably make Kumbaya sound like a decent tune.

Comment

Orkestra Obsolete play Blue Monday using 1930s instruments - BBC Arts

Comment

Can't say that I like(d) Sublime at all, so almost any cover of their songs will be better, but Lana did a good job with this one:

Comment

For Christmas...

Maps, Stay Another Day. Better than the original.

Comment

For the first time in years recently I heard Barbra Streisand's cover of Laura Nyro's 'Stoney End' which I think even tops the wonderful original.

Comment

No no no no no no no no. Never in a million years!

Comment

Bruce Springsteen's version of The Ghost of Tom Joad with Tom Morello was much better than the original by, er, Bruce Springsteen.

Comment

Originally posted by Crusoe View Post
                      For Christmas...

Maps, Stay Another Day. Better than the original.
                      That is excellent, and the climactic bit with a minute to go is absolutely superb.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                        No no no no no no no no. Never in a million years!
                        Ha, thought you might disagree!

Comment

Slits Grapevine & FYC Ever Fallen In Love.

Even if not necessarily convinced they are actually better than originals. But take them in a different way which means am comfortable with them being reinterpretations. Unlike say Bauhaus Ziggy. Mad World would be one that is actually better than Tears For Fears original.

Comment

Italian chill/lounge collective Bossa Nostra's version of 'Roxanne' turns a rather dull plodder into a delightful Brazilian bossa that could have been written by Joao Gilberto.

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post
                              Mad World would be one that is actually better than Tears For Fears original.
                              No, no, no, no, no, NO!!!!!! For starting the whole idea of the slowed-down, twee, mimsycore cover version it deserves to die slowly and painfully.

Comment

I don't know if either is better than the other. The original is probably better but figured I'd stick with this thread if anyone wants to hear an interesting ska cover of a Billie Eilish song.

Original

Cover

Comment

Tonight Alive's cover of Little Lion Man vastly improves on Mumford, if you're willing to stomach pop punk

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                    No, no, no, no, no, NO!!!!!! For starting the whole idea of the slowed-down, twee, mimsycore cover version it deserves to die slowly and painfully.
                                    Yep, totally this.

Comment

Originally posted by jefe View Post
                                      Tonight Alive's cover of Little Lion Man vastly improves on Mumford, if you're willing to stomach pop punk
                                      The song seems like a good one to cover; it's too bad Tonight Alive (a band I don't know) aren't good. Definitely in the Paramore model (some mainstream emo/pop punk mesh) versus being a good indie/emo (American Football, Annabel) / good pop punk blend (Witches with Dicks).

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

We just talking about retrospect now. And law of unintended consequences. Michael Andrews would have had no idea what he was going to be responsible for at time of recording. Might as well blame Pistols for Exploited UK Decay Cockney Rejects etc.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                                          I don't know if either is better than the other. The original is probably better but figured I'd stick with this thread if anyone wants to hear an interesting ska cover of a Billie Eilish song.

Original

Cover
                                          Love the Interrupters. Saw them play a great set in 2019, and they were due back this year. Another (relatively trivial)reason to want rid of this virus.

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post

We just talking about retrospect now. And law of unintended consequences. Michael Andrews would have had no idea what he was going to be responsible for at time of recording. Might as well blame Pistols for Exploited UK Decay Cockney Rejects etc.
                                            Irrespective of all that it was a fucking terrible cover. The Tears for Fears version is a billion times better. The cover is just noodly piano and navel gazing mumbly bullshit.
                                            Last edited by hobbes; 27-12-2020, 19:09.

Comment

Hobbesian rightness.

As for your point, ale - yes, there was a lot of bad punk influenced by the Pistols, but also a lot of good so you have balance.

Whereas all twee mimsycore cover versions are shit. ALL OF THEM. Take a pair of scales and put a hundred sacks of manure on one end. That's the kind of balance they're bringing.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post

Original

Cover
                                                I love both versions of that song. Never heard of The Interrupters before, but I'll be looking them up now.

Comment

I prefer Etta James version of That's Why I Love Mankind to Randy Newman's original. Not just because Etta singing almost any song would improve it, but because I think the bigger sound and gospel type backing makes the lyrics even more biting.

Comment

Nirvana's Man Who Sold The World is infinitely better than Lulu's weedy version and is a nudge better than Bowies too

Comment

Working...
                                                    X