No announcement yet.

COVID-related twattery amongst pop stars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing that’s always puzzled me with that rant is how it was recorded so accurately.

dreary guitarist anyway

Comment

This report by Snopes mentions that the gig was reviewed by Sounds at the time, with some verbatim quotes which have been backed up by other witnesses. It also mentions that it was one of only several rants during the gig, he didn't just splurge it all out in one go.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/er...n-racist-rant/

Comment

From that link WFD has posted:

Originally posted by Eric Clapton
        It’s not a racial thing. You see, it could not have been a racial thing for me because how could it be when I’ve always identified so strongly with the Black community anyway.
        Originally posted by also Eric Clapton
        I mean, half of my friends were Black. I dated Black women, and listened to Black music and championed Black music.
        Every single time.

Comment

The mindset seems to be that Bob Marley was OK as long as he just played reggae and didn't try to move next door or bring his family over to live here. Or there's a category of exotic blackness that's admirable (musical creativity, football skills*) but totally separate from the vast majority of blackness that's dirty and criminal.

*Your racist Chelsea supporter who thought Drogba was OK as long as he was wearing a Chelsea shirt rather than playing for Ivory Coast against England.
          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 03-08-2021, 00:27.

Comment

The Offspring uncermoniously boot their drummer from the band for refusing the vaccine. Nicely done.

Comment

Was it common knowledge that their front man has a doctorate in molecular biology?

Comment

He's referred to as "Dr.Holland" quite often, so I'd say yes.

Comment

'Why don't you get a jab?' is a pretty good headline, tbf.

Comment

This is a possibility.

https://twitter.com/inkyswampboy/status/1422868778916974592

Comment

I always find people's ability to appreciate black artists (and, in Clapton's case, work with not a few of them) whilst harbouring racist sentiments of that strength distinctly weird. A compartmentalisation thing I suppose, like Philip Larkin's absolutely sincere adoration of Sidney Bechet's music didn't stop him whining about the "violent, thick blacks" who actually lived near him in his letters to Kingsley Amis.

Comment

Keith Richards also had a dodgy way of referring to the black artists he was ripping off, Rod fucking Stewart was as big an Enoch fan as Clapton.

Comment

Richards co-wrote "Brown Sugar" of course.

Comment

Shed Seven are splitting again, seemingly because their drummer refuses to play in front of a fully vaccinated audience.

Comment

You can count the number of drummers who aren't dickheads on the fingers of both hands (which is more than drummers can count, etc.).

Comment

Not quite sure being responsible for Shed Seven splitting is twattery or deserving of a medal.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                  Shed Seven are splitting again, seemingly because their drummer refuses to play in front of a fully vaccinated audience.
                                  Some detail here - although I'm not sure how seriously to take any article that opens with the phrase 'biggest chart-topping band' and then goes on to talk about Shed Seven:

https://yorkmix.com/shock-as-shed-se...eave-the-band/

Comment

It's OK!

The rest of the band are carrying on.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip Marlow View Post
                                      I always find people's ability to appreciate black artists (and, in Clapton's case, work with not a few of them) whilst harbouring racist sentiments of that strength distinctly weird. A compartmentalisation thing I suppose, like Philip Larkin's absolutely sincere adoration of Sidney Bechet's music didn't stop him whining about the "violent, thick blacks" who actually lived near him in his letters to Kingsley Amis.
                                      Aah, but the backs they idolise or work with are not like all the other blacks, you see. They don't think they are racist because they love black music and are friends with black musicians, and they do love themselves a bit of brown sugar. And that gives them license to be racist without being (in their minds) racists.

Comment

-

Comment

https://metro-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.o...-15126800/amp/

Richard Fairbrass in hospital with Covid-19.

Comment

Too stupid for his lungs

Comment

I don't really believe in karma, but...

Comment

Deeply dippy for the 'VID he's got.

Comment

For fucks like him, there should be no NHS hospital beds. Go to a private hospital, dipshit.

While we're on the subject of the criminally stupid... I see Right Said Fred are still performing. TO WHOM???

Comment

Before I read this subject/thread, I am surprised it's only 3 pages long.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X