Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• longeared
    replied
    Shed Seven are splitting again, seemingly because their drummer refuses to play in front of a fully vaccinated audience.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Richards co-wrote "Brown Sugar" of course.

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    Keith Richards also had a dodgy way of referring to the black artists he was ripping off, Rod fucking Stewart was as big an Enoch fan as Clapton.

Leave a comment:

• Philip Marlow
    replied
    I always find people's ability to appreciate black artists (and, in Clapton's case, work with not a few of them) whilst harbouring racist sentiments of that strength distinctly weird. A compartmentalisation thing I suppose, like Philip Larkin's absolutely sincere adoration of Sidney Bechet's music didn't stop him whining about the "violent, thick blacks" who actually lived near him in his letters to Kingsley Amis.

Leave a comment:

• delicatemoth
    replied
    This is a possibility.

https://twitter.com/inkyswampboy/status/1422868778916974592

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    'Why don't you get a jab?' is a pretty good headline, tbf.

Leave a comment:

• blameless
    replied
    He's referred to as "Dr.Holland" quite often, so I'd say yes.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Was it common knowledge that their front man has a doctorate in molecular biology?

Leave a comment:

• Sheep
    replied
    The Offspring uncermoniously boot their drummer from the band for refusing the vaccine. Nicely done.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    The mindset seems to be that Bob Marley was OK as long as he just played reggae and didn't try to move next door or bring his family over to live here. Or there's a category of exotic blackness that's admirable (musical creativity, football skills*) but totally separate from the vast majority of blackness that's dirty and criminal.

*Your racist Chelsea supporter who thought Drogba was OK as long as he was wearing a Chelsea shirt rather than playing for Ivory Coast against England.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 03-08-2021, 00:27.

Leave a comment:

• Sam
    replied
    From that link WFD has posted:

Originally posted by Eric Clapton
    It’s not a racial thing. You see, it could not have been a racial thing for me because how could it be when I’ve always identified so strongly with the Black community anyway.
    Originally posted by also Eric Clapton
    I mean, half of my friends were Black. I dated Black women, and listened to Black music and championed Black music.
    Every single time.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    This report by Snopes mentions that the gig was reviewed by Sounds at the time, with some verbatim quotes which have been backed up by other witnesses. It also mentions that it was one of only several rants during the gig, he didn't just splurge it all out in one go.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/er...n-racist-rant/

Leave a comment:

• diggedy derek
    replied
    One thing that’s always puzzled me with that rant is how it was recorded so accurately.

dreary guitarist anyway

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    After. I Shot the Sheriff was released by Clapton in 1974 - a year after Marley’s original.

The rant was (I believe) two years later.

Leave a comment:

• Sam
    replied
    Wonder whether that anti-Black (among other ethnicities) rant was before or after he performed the Bob Marley cover.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    https://twitter.com/toeknee_rawsee/status/1417940743126142976?s=19

Clapton has said he won't perform to discriminated crowds.

Leave a comment:

• Auntie Beryl
    replied
    Richard Fairbrass was voting UKIP as early as 2010, and was vocally pro-Brexit.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Certainly according to page one of this Fred, I mean 'thread'.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Does this Fred bloke have previous form?

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
    Crossed fingers it's a bot picking up on certain words in the original tweet.
    Has to be, surely? I hope that somebody has pointed this out to whoever monitors these things.

More importantly, what were BA doing allowing a passenger to fly without a mask anyway? Has he a medical reason?

As for 'lots of good for yous for speaking out on the lockdown' - who the f*** are they trying to kid?

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    How many clickbait pieces on this will have "Too Sexy For A Mask?" in the headline? All of them?

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Originally posted by Auntie Beryl View Post
    Those Simple Things was a minor hit single for RSF. I detect human input.
    Your knowledge of RSF worries me. But that's a good spot.

Leave a comment:

• Auntie Beryl
    replied
    Those Simple Things was a minor hit single for RSF. I detect human input.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
    The automatic thanks from Heathrow is worrying.
    Crossed fingers it's a bot picking up on certain words in the original tweet.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Posted on the Covid-19 thread too. The automatic thanks from Heathrow is worrying.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X