Live albums you actually listen to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live albums you actually listen to

(The demise of the live album is a topic in itself.)

Anyroad:

Live at Leeds—The Who
    Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!'—The Rolling Stones
    Live the the Apollo—James Brown
    Amazing Grace—Arethra Franklin

Exit Stage Left, back when I listened to Rush a lot, still do once in a while.
    Weld and Live Rust (Neil Young)

I'm struggling to come up with any others.

Comment

Oh yes, Hawkwind's Space Ritual and Live Seventy-Nine, even more so than the ones in my previous post.

Comment

I've always had this weird 'problem' with live albums - just cannot listen to them. If you weren't there yourself, what's the point?

(I appreciate that not many will agree with this standpoint.)

Comment

Live 1966 - Bob Dylan

Live/197585 — Bruce Springsteen

Stax/Volt Revue 1967 — Otis Redding, Sam & Dave et al.

Comment

Neil Young - Time Fades Away and Rust Never Sleeps

Comment

It's Alive - Ramones
              Minimum Maximum - Kraftwerk
              BBC Radio 1 Live In Concert - New Order
              (NO have released numerous iffy live albums. I have a soft spot for this one because I had taped the show from the radio when it was originally broadcast. Of the others, So It Goes from the 2017 Manchester International Festival is the most interesting, diverging from their usual greatest hits set in both track listing and arrangements.)
              Les Bains Douches - Joy Division

I've quite a few reissues and deluxe versions of studio albums that include often quite decent quality live recordings as bonus material. They seldom if ever go into the listen again soon pile.

Stumpy Pepys, I thought that you collected Velvet Underground live sets. Have I got that wrong?

Comment

Totale's Turns.

Comment

Re Jah's point, we were there for both of these (though for only one set from Jarrett, it being nearly impossible to get tickets for more than one)

Comment

I like Midnight Oil's live recordings. Scream in Blue was very big for me during that rough patch 28 years ago. (Jesus. TWENTY EIGHT YEARS AGO).

I thought the live album The Police did a few years ago was good. Or maybe it was just that it was a lot better than I would have expected.

Comment

Magnolia Electric Co - Trials & Errors (first release after abandoning the Songs: Ohia moniker)
                      Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps

Comment

I'm guessing that Johnny Cash Live at Folsom Prison & San Quentin must have escaped everyone's memory? Two of the all-time greats.

I'll second/third Live at Leeds, Space Ritual, Live Rust, and add James Gang - Live in Concert to the live noise shows.

Love the following, but have not listened to these in awhile (and know I'm missing a few):

Iron Maiden - Live After Death
                        AC-DC - If You Want Blood You've Got It
                        Motorhead - No Sleep Til Hammersmith
                        Cheap Trick - Live at Budokhan
                        MC5 - Kick Out The Jams
                        Peter & the Test Tube Babies - Pissed and Proud
                        Stranglers - Live Xcerts
                        Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous
                        Last edited by Cal Alamein; 14-09-2020, 17:45.

Comment

On a similar note Cal Alamein I have fond memories of Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                            If you weren't there yourself, what's the point?
                            Hearing the energy and joy of the crowd, which always enhances the experience for me.

Anyway, the most recent one is The Frights, Live at The Observatory.
                            Also, Minimum Maximum by Kraftwerk.
                            Rush, Time Machine 2011 Live In Cleveland.
                            Cheap Trick, Live at Budokan.

Comment

No Dead WOM? There's certainly enough to choose from.

A couple more:

Live at the Apollo 1963 — James Brown

Bless its Pointed Little Head — Jefferson Airplane

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                                (The demise of the live album is a topic in itself.)

Anyroad:

Live at Leeds—The Who
                                Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!'—The Rolling Stones
                                Live the the Apollo—James Brown
                                Amazing Grace—Arethra Franklin
                                The last two in this list might be the two greatest live albums ever made. Modern jazz is perhaps an outlier because no two performances are meant to be identical, and I'd argue that a lot of Miles Davis and John Coltrane live versions come close to being re-compositions (Dylan OTOH is somewhere between re-composition and self-sabotage).

How many live albums are an act's most famous work, e.g. Frampton Comes Alive?

Is 'Free Bird' from a live album?
                                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 14-09-2020, 18:23.

Comment

When I think of our family holiday to Wales in 1995 when I was 14, I think of David Bowie's Santa Monica '72.

My interest in Bowie had been piqued by a 10th anniversary documentary about Live Aid just before we went away. I thought he looked like the coolest bloke on the bill and though I already knew the song I loved his rendition of Heroes.

I wanted to get the singles collection before we went away but didn't have enough money from my paper round. So I asked my dad for advice and, having seen Bowie at around this time at both the Hardrock and the Free Trade Hall in Manchester, he suggested this. It was never off the car stereo that holiday and I've got as much of a fondness for it as I have for A Trick of the Tail by Genesis which was also on heavy car-based rotation at the same time, notably for a trip to Hereford watching Bury in February 1994 (lost 3-0, Ade Akinbiyi was on loan to them and scored a belter).

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                    Is 'Free Bird' from a live album?

Not originally.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                      No Dead WOM? There's certainly enough to choose from.
                                      Hah...between The Dead and Phish, I just listen to their respective channels on Sirius XM. I can't even keep track of what's what.

Comment

When I was a teenager, I used to play my brother's copy of Lizzy's Live and Dangerous all the time. For a while there was a brisk trade in live bootlegs, the quality of each depending on the length of the bootleggers arm and the quality of his tape equipment. I had a decent New Order tape, which came with the added bonus of some guy chatting up a girl between songs!

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                          I've always had this weird 'problem' with live albums - just cannot listen to them. If you weren't there yourself, what's the point?

(I appreciate that not many will agree with this standpoint.)
                                          Was at the UL Joy Division gig which has now been included as a bonus on Closer.

Have also witnessed tours which brought forth a live recording even if not at the venue attended-Ramones Simple Minds 10cc

Other great live albums-SAHB Banshees

Comment

The Maiden - Live After Death
                                            The Cure in Orange (ripped off the laser disk)
                                            The Cure - Concert
                                            The Cure - Bestival
                                            Bauhaus - Press the Eject and Give Me the Tape
                                            Suzanne Vega - Live at the Speakeasy
                                            Depeche Mode - 101

Although I've always preferred concert films to concert albums to be honest.
                                            Last edited by hobbes; 15-09-2020, 07:09.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                              Although I've always preferred concert films to convert asking to be honest.
                                              Que?

Comment

Most of the "stadium bands" of the 80/90s had live albums that were actually better, for the crowd reaction, than the studio effort. Wasn't that the point? Simple Minds Live in the City of Light. U2 on the Zooropa Tour then again on Vertigo. Bruce Springsteen. Pink Floyd.

Comment

Over the years I've enjoyed a few at different times.
                                                  Led Zeppelin The Song Remains the Same
                                                  Neil Young Rust Never Sleeps
                                                  The Woodstock LP
                                                  And a fair amount of jazz. I'm not sure if I listen to any much at all now - a couple of Antonio Carlos Jobim records are the only ones that spring to mind but I'm sure I'll think of more

Comment

Working...
                                                  X