Instruments: playing, and singing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instruments: playing, and singing.

Either both at the same time, or switching between them (hard to warble with a trumpet in your mouth, though I can't say I've ever tried).

Common: guitar, piano/keyboard. Less common but not that rare: drums. Tambourine: not even an instrument, you're not fooling anyone.

Are there many/any examples of more challenging combinations, like playing the cello and doing lead vocals?

Evidently playing bass guitar and singing lead vocals is meant to be hard. Not my kind of music, but I'm told Geddy Lee of Rush is a master of this skill.
    Last edited by Sporting; 14-09-2020, 04:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
      Evidently playing bass guitar and singing lead vocals is meant to be hard.
      I struggle with that.

I really don't understand how you can sing and play drums at the same time. But drumming has always been a mystery to me.

Comment

I know that Level 42 have their detractors but I've always liked them and remain impressed by Mark King's ability to hold down some pretty fierce bass lines whilst singing a completely different melody .over the top.

And just to add to the list, Roy Ayers - vocals and vibraphone.

Comment

Originally posted by gjw100 View Post
          I know that Level 42 have their detractors but I've always liked them and remain impressed by Mark King's ability to hold down some pretty fierce bass lines whilst singing a completely different melody .over the top.
          Careful now, or you'll be playing tribute to Sting next, which is verboten on OTF.

Joanna Newsome plays harp and sings.

Comment

Singer and bassist Sting, what's not to love?

*ducks and runs*

Comment

Am I allowed to like Paul McCartney?

Comment

Bass and vocals: Lemmy.

Keyboards and vocals: Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, both unsighted of course. Nina Simone singing while playing Bach-like counterpoint is pretty impressive.

Trumpet and vocal: Louis Armstrong, but more a question of having a lot of breath.

Comment

Playing the drums and singing at the same time is a pretty terrible experience. I dare say things have moved on, technologically speaking, from when I used to do it, but having a microphone boom stand over your shoulder isn't great for either drumming or singing, and you're not exactly in an ideal position to sing in the first place, being sat down and all. I did a handful of gigs where I had a little clip-on microphone, which was considerably easier to use but, as I had to wear a headband in order to use it, made me look like a tool.

Comment

Definitely not my thing, but Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson has the unique combined roles of guitarist/flautist/vocalist.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                      Bass and vocals: Lemmy.

Keyboards and vocals: Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, both unsighted of course. Nina Simone singing while playing Bach-like counterpoint is pretty impressive.

Trumpet and vocal: Louis Armstrong, but more a question of having a lot of breath.
                      I can't explain why, but I can play piano and sing, and I can play rhythm guitar or acoustic guitar and sing, even with some fiddly fingerpicking.

What I can't do is play lead guitar or bass, and sing at the same time. I'd love to know the reason.

Comment

Working...
                      X