Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UnKool- (RIP Kool & The Gang Co-Founder Ronald ‘Khalis’ Bell)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UnKool- (RIP Kool & The Gang Co-Founder Ronald ‘Khalis’ Bell)

https://twitter.com/marcusryder/status/1303877251344154624?s=20

Celebration is a banger though. Indelible memories of it being played after every Oakland A’s win.

Comment

RIP - good band who straddled a few styles.

Jungle Boogie was great before the students got hold of it.

Comment

This is very sad news. Kool & The Gang are fantastic. The BBC showed their set from Glastonbury a few years ago and it blew the socks off everything else.

I second the love for Celebration. If it wasn't for that I'd go to major sporting events hoping to lose, knowing that a po-faced sway-along to We Are The Champions was all that victory held in store.

Comment

K&TG were no slouches in the badge department either.

Comment

One of the handful of black people on the Band Aid record?

Comment

Indeed. (The only other of whom I can think is Jody Watley, and I might even be misremembering that.)

Comment

Kool and the gang were there, as well as Jody Watley and Mikey Craig. How much any of them contributed is another thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                  Jungle Boogie was great before the students got hold of it.
                  I don't care what students do with it, Jungle Boogie is one of the funkiest tunes ever written. Get Down On It is also an awesome tune.

Comment

Yeah, Kool & The Gang were on tour and somehow got roped into it. They weren't on the list Bob and Midge drew up, I'm sure. And Jody Watley was there basically because the record company that released the Band Aid single really wanted to sign her.

As for Kool & the Gang, they had some serious funk, some great party records and a few good ballads which redeem all that other shut they put out. I mean, "Joanna" is just embarrassing, and I've always hated "Let's Go Dancing".

But I love "Big Fun", "Ladies Night", "Hi De Hi, Hi De Ho", "Get Down On It", and, a for the tired legs, the great divorce dramas "Too Hot" and "Jones vs Jones" (which were cancelled out by the soppy but sweet wedding number "As One"). And from the funk era, of course, the much-sampled "Summer Madness". Listening to that on headphones when you're high blows your mind (er, I've been told).

Comment

Always loved this scene from the first Rocky film.

Comment

Working...
                      X