Youtube - the real global jukebox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youtube - the real global jukebox

(Wingco could have guessed this was coming, but...)

As a bit of an adjunct to the 'forgotten 80s classics' thread, I thought I'd start this one.

You see, I can't claim that the video I've just found is for a track that is a 'classic' by any stretch of the imagination, so it didn't belong on that thread! However, it *is* a song/video I've been searching for for years so I just had to share it here (as well as on my Facebook page) in celebration more than anything, upon finally finding it. I didn't even know the title of any of their tracks - I just remembered the name and appearance of the band, plus the fact that the songs they performed were broadcast on 'Oxford Road Show' on BBC2 or some Channel 4 equivalent. Anyway, here it is...

Urban Shakedown - 'Living On The Edge'

Amazing, mind-blowing stuff for the teenage me!

Now, I could get all righteous and say "Is there stuff like this going on now?I?". Well, there may be - I wouldn't want to say there isn't, but it certainly isn't getting piped into our homes at 6pm on a weekday evening these days, if there is! This is what I loved about the 80s - you could get stuff like this cropping up on evening music shows almost out of the blue and opning up whole new worlds of possibility for you.

However... the other point I wanted to make with this thread is the perhaps obvious one that, with the proliferation of social media, the sharing of music via the gift of Youtube (and similar sites) has both liberated and unearthed music (and perhaps even whole genres) that had gone unseen for decades. This track/performance is a good example, for me.

For some it's a curse, but for me it's wonderful! The only problem is that 'there isn't enough time in the day', of course.
Working...
X