R.I.P. Jim Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R.I.P. Jim Marshall

Aged 88. I am prepared to draw a discreet veil over the sponsorship of Franchise and raise a glass to him. Loads of bands linked with him, of course but here are a few of the best.

and my own beauty, blasphemously and immodestly customised, erm, beauty

R.I.P. Jim Marshall

Always assumed this was a Marshall:

Comment

R.I.P. Jim Marshall

Indeed.

The last Marshall I got was this digital radio

which you will notice goes up to 11

Comment

R.I.P. Jim Marshall

Proper rock'n'roll.

Great photo of AC/DC, Bored.
        Not convinced by the Who, though, they were more Hi-Watt.

Comment

R.I.P. Jim Marshall

Bizarrely, my wife really wants to get one of those fridges.

I have always associated Pete Townshend with Marshall to an extent, Calvert, and found this bit of obsessive fandom to back it up

Here's more on the AC/DC Marshalls

Comment

R.I.P. Jim Marshall

Yeah, can't really see the fridges anywhere else but studio green rooms, student accomodation and home recording enthusiasts' music rooms even though there's clearly a freezer compartment.
            Punkrock points to whomever uses them as the family fridge, though.

Some good nerdy reading there, Bored. Will keep those articles for later.
            Townshend definitely went all Orange and Hi-Watt in the latter stages of the Who.
            Orange I can understand but never really fancied Hi-Watt. See also Blackstar.

Comment

R.I.P. Jim Marshall

Funnily enough, I always thought that, apart from Marshall, he was a Vox AC30 man but not that much according to the same website

I find it hard to believe that bands would chop and change wholesale between Marshall and Vox etc. It mush have changed their sound so much especially with the primitive PAs or none at all.

I always remember seeing Aerosmith and Brad Whitford had a wall of Marshalls but now has some sort of digital looking America jobs

but Joe Perry had a rag bag of knackered looking AC30s, Fender Twins and Marshall combos that seemed like a great combination to have for flexibility. It appears he still uses a combination of Vox and Marshall

Man, I have got to get my guitar and Marshall out soon

Comment

R.I.P. Jim Marshall

Keep it down a bit, will you?

Comment

R.I.P. Jim Marshall

Phwooar!

Bored, the digital 'looking' ones are good old Gallien Krueger bass heads powering a bunch of Hartke 4x10 bass cabs.
                  Some combos may have built-in digital effects where you can store settings but they're a bit cheap and gimmicky.
                  There's no advantage having AD/DA converters when variable voltage analogue tube/valves will provide you with the clean and crisp overdrive and distortion you need when using speakers. Digital amplification alone can't give you that.Yet.
                  Work is ongoing with digital P.A. power amps, the advantages being no heat so no heavy power sinks to dissipate the heat and in theory a precise digital copy of the original analogue signal. Obviously again though, PA power amps unlike guitar amps are never meant to be overdriven under any circumstances.

Comment

R.I.P. Jim Marshall

Calvert W. McCutcheon wrote:
                    Phwooar!

Bored, the digital 'looking' ones are good old Gallien Krueger bass heads powering a bunch of Hartke 4x10 bass cabs.
                    Some combos may have built-in digital effects where you can store settings but they're a bit cheap and gimmicky.
                    There's no advantage having AD/DA converters when variable voltage analogue tube/valves will provide you with the clean and crisp overdrive and distortion you need when using speakers. Digital amplification alone can't give you that.Yet.
                    Work is ongoing with digital P.A. power amps, the advantages being no heat so no heavy power sinks to dissipate the heat and in theory a precise digital copy of the original analogue signal. Obviously again though, PA power amps unlike guitar amps are never meant to be overdriven under any circumstances.
                    I was just about to say exactly that.

Comment

R.I.P. Jim Marshall

I turn mine on, plug the guitar in and it's loud.

It did keep playing once while falling off a six foot stage

Comment

R.I.P. Jim Marshall

If those on the right are bass amps and therefore Tom Hamilton's, what are the Brad Whitford's?

Comment

R.I.P. Jim Marshall

Of course, the internet. They are his own company called 3 Monkeys and the cabs are Bognor, whoever they are.

Comment

R.I.P. Jim Marshall

It did keep playing once while falling off a six foot stage
                            The amp or you?

One of our crew guys years ago fell off the stage ramp while holding two of Phil Collen's customs breaking his ankle in the process of trying to save the guitars.
                            The guitar tech said 'silly cunt, you should've just let go of the guitars, Phil's got hundreds of 'em'.

There's gratitude for you.

Comment

R.I.P. Jim Marshall

The amp. I was soundchecking and a dopey cunt of a monitor engineer tripped over the power cable when stepping off the stage taking the amp with him. It carried on playing as it descended and hit the floor and afterwards.

Actually, it was a 3 foot stage and 3 foot of beercrates that it was sitting on.

Wasn't Phil Collen the one that threw his guitar at the roadie while he picked up a spare, missed completely and snapped the neck in two? Actually, I remember a story that one of the Def Leppard roadies got a splinter from one of those aluminium stage ramps that got into his bloodstream and killed him. Personally I suspected it was drugs and drink but I wore gloves while loading and unloaded always after

Comment

R.I.P. Jim Marshall

Well now clearly proper H&S procedures were not being followed.
                                If you're going to leave your power cable lying around willy-nilly...
                                That's why God invented gaffer tape.

Gloves are essential when handling those aluminium ramps.
                                Proper sore those splinters are.
                                Check out Joe Perry's ice-bucket and his custom cab in that photo.

Comment

R.I.P. Jim Marshall

stonelephant wrote:
                                  Always assumed this was a Marshall:

"This one goes up to heaven"

Comment

R.I.P. Jim Marshall

Well now clearly proper H&S procedures were not being followed.
                                    If you're going to leave your power cable lying around willy-nilly...
                                    That's why God invented gaffer tape.
                                    As I remember, due to the ineptitude of the PA guy we had to tape my guitar lead (not the power lead, in thinking about it) going to the amp to the front of the stage and he was just going to get some gaffa tape when he tripped over it.

Gloves are essential when handling those aluminium ramps.
                                    Proper sore those splinters are.
                                    Yeah, but lethal?

Comment

R.I.P. Jim Marshall

Never your fault, is it? Eh? Eh?
                                      If I'd tripped over your motherfuggin' lead you'd be following your amp.

I suppose anythings possible with regards to metal poisoning.
                                      I'll ask the rock'n'roll doctor.

Oh, he says he's not that kind of doctor.

Comment

R.I.P. Jim Marshall

From the Townshend/Marshall link, Bored...

April 1980 issue of Sound International article, courtesy Joe G’s site.

You obviously like them [Hiwatts] more than Marshalls.
                                        PT: I’ve never used Marshalls really. I tried Marshalls for a while because we always had a very friendly relationship with that firm but I never really used them. Everybody else did — Eric, Jimmy Page and Jeff, and Jimi Hendrix when he came over used Marshalls. I never got on with them, I don’t know why.

Comment

R.I.P. Jim Marshall

Good hunting. Actually, Hendrix was another I was going to post.

Comment

R.I.P. Jim Marshall

Pete Townshend references Hi-Watt amps in Long Live Rock - "The place is really jumping to the Hi-Watt amps".

Comment

Working...
                                            X