Simon & Garfunkel are on the telly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A hour long special with them and about them.
    Talk about going from the calculating pop shite which is Madonna, to hits which will last.

Have I imagined it, or where the two almost bitter enemies at some point?

BBC4 showed a brilliant rockumentary (if you will) a while back, something like American Songbook.
    I was surprised to learn that their albums were sponsored by not only the record company but major corporations.
    Paul Simon said that the head of AT&T was angry about one of their videos showing footage of JFK, RFK, Martin Luther King etc claiming at a meeting that it was 'unbalanced and they were all Democrats'.
    Paul Simon replied 'well, we see them as assassinated people.'

When he sent Bridge Over Troubled Water off to be scored, the arranger misheard the title and sent it back named Pitcher Of Water

Comment

Check this shit out:

Comment

Katherine Hepburn and Harpo Marx?

Comment

No need for a paternity test with that one.

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
            Katherine Hepburn and Harpo Marx?
            The sad truth is, it could almost be me five years ago, and me today.

Comment

I'm not going to ask which would be which.

BTW you never answered the quiz question I posed you on the two Jo(a)ni(e)'s thread. WOE has been jumping up and down with anticipation for several days.

Comment

Oh! Disappointingly, Terry Riley was playing a gig (I've got a download of 'Poppy Nogood' with that date on it.)

Comment

I'm sure it wasn't disappointing to be there. The Joni answer — as I'm sure you're finding it hard to contain your disinterest — was that she wasn't at Woodstock. Despite going on to write the song everyone associates it with.

Comment

George wrote:

No need for a paternity test with that one.
                    Oh yeah?
                    Tell that to Martin McGuinness.

Fuck me, how thin is the Thin White Duke in Lucia's photo?

Comment

To be honest the first thing I thought of when I saw that picture was Ray Alan and Lord Charles.

Comment

Calvert W. McCutcheon wrote:
                        BBC4 showed a brilliant rockumentary (if you will) a while back, something like American Songbook.
                        I was surprised to learn that their albums were sponsored by not only the record company but major corporations.
                        Paul Simon said that the head of AT&T was angry about one of their videos showing footage of JFK, RFK, Martin Luther King etc claiming at a meeting that it was 'unbalanced and they were all Democrats'.
                        Paul Simon replied 'well, we see them as assassinated people.'

When he sent Bridge Over Troubled Water off to be scored, the arranger misheard the title and sent it back named Pitcher Of Water
                        Might have been the same thing we saw.

Comment

It was all very good.

Mr. AT&T wanted to edit Coretta Scott King's child poverty is violence voiceover and when asked how much of it he wanted to cut he said 'all of it'.
                          He reckoned a lot of white folks in the southern states wouldn't be too happy with it.

Comment

Art Garfunkel has been keeping track of all the books he's read since 1968, and he's posted the massive list online.

Comment

Wow.

How d'ya like them apples, Nick Hornby.

Comment

Stunning. For ages now I've been meaning to go through my bookshelves and arrange all the books in order of reading.

Comment

Although he's got the publishing date of Joan Didion's 'The Year of Magical Thinking' down as 5006. Magical indeed.

Comment

There are about 20 books on my shelves that I've never read.

If only I could remember which ones they were.

Comment

Nic Roeg's Bad Timing is superb, despite Garfunkel playing some kind of charismatic sex man.

Comment

For the past few years I've been alternating between "newly acquired book" and "book on my shelves that I've never read".

The former category includes purchases, library books and presents received, the latter category includes Sunday School prizes from the 1960s that I've never had the heart to throw out and Tristram Shandy.

I'm working my way through the shelves in strict left to right, top to bottom order but - and this is crucial - I am not making a list so I am not an obsessive geek like Art Garfunkel.

Comment

Garfunkel reads an admirable variety of books—classics and contemporary, fiction and nonfiction—but I'm surprised by how random it all seems. I tend to go on binges with a particular subject or author, but it looks like Art just picks the next one from the stack.

Comment

I suddenly had a yen for some Paul & Art this evening so put on their original 1972 Greatest Hits. It's a pity Simon turned out to be the way he appears to be because the songs are fantastic. Looked for a thread and this was the only one which came up.

Art's reading list is still going; he read a biography of Simon a couple of years ago.
                                            Last edited by Sits; 05-09-2020, 09:33.

Comment

Anyway here’s a Top Five:

The Only Living Boy In New York
                                              For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her
                                              The Boxer
                                              April Come She Will
                                              America

Comment

No, 'I Am A Rock'?!

The thread title made me think of these two ;

Comment

Simon's inability to comprehend why people were upset at him breaking the boycott of South Africa remains an amazing piece of narcissism. He seems also to be a case study of cultural appropriation.

But this duo's harmonies were often stunning and sublime so again, you have to separate artist and art as much as is feasible.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X