Dele Fadele

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dele Fadele

John Robb wrote today that Dele Fadele is dead. Apparently he died two years ago but no-one picked up on it. As someone who bought both papers during the 90s, Fadele seemed an odd fit at the NME and probably would have been more at home at the Melody Maker, but I always enjoyed his stuff. Sad, especially that it can happen so long ago without it being reported.

Former occasional otf-?r Neil Kulkarni wrote a beautiful thread on twitter about him

Comment

Here it is https://twitter.com/KaptainKulk/status/1296693762257756160?s=19

Comment

Thanks, ah, that is a nice tribute. I remember DF's style as being quite oblique, in the manner of Biba Kopf/Chris Bohn, when he started at the NME but becoming more direct without losing anything in intelligence or perception. Any piece with his name on was worth reading.

Comment

I'll agree with that. Nice tributes on Facebook from wingco and Spearmint Rhino too.

Comment

It's hard to know what to say here except that he was a writer that I enjoyed reading in the inkie days, despite him occasionally being too oblique for me to get in my youth, and there was a real burning intelligence in his writing, you could tell he wanted the NME and its readers to do better.

Comment

Which made him fit in well with those of us who started reading the NME in the mid-seventies.

Comment

This is tragically sad news. I know him only through friends of friends but he was loved. When I worked at Music & Video Exchange has was a regular selling all kinds of bits and bobs and tat and particularly promos which he'd hawk around for a few quid. That seemed kind of sad, maybe it is, but I prefer to look at it as resourcefulness which kept him doing what he loved for a long time. I know at some point he was considering living for a while in Nigeria, but I don't know if that came to pass. It's sad we only hear this new now.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...remembered-nme

Comment

Working...
                  X