Madonna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Madonna

I've just heard a song from her new album on the radio called Love Spent . Even by Madonna's dwindling poor standards, this song is laughably S-H-I-T.

There are no positives to be found in the song at all, Rebecca Black has more soul in her vocals than Madonna in "Love Spent". And the lyrics are just really S-H-I-T.

i want you to hold me
    like you hold your money
    hold on to it, till there's nothing left
    love spent, feeling love spent
    yeah i'm love spent, wondering where the love went
    love spent, yeah i'm love spent
    really love spend, wondering there it all went
    It doesn't make sense, it's a non sequitur, isn't it? Hold Madonna like you hold money (i.e. tightly) but you hold tightly until there's no money or Madonna left, so surely you're not holding either Madonna nor your money tightly enough, so how can you be fulfilling Madonna's desire to hold her tightly?

F*cking nonsense from a chancer who should've retired a decade ago. True Blue was superb, Ray of Light was a decent comeback, but she's really hit some kind of pop-music Vietnam in which she refuses to accept she's over 50 and continues to make music a pre-teen would be embarrassed by. Why anybody cares about this turgid crap is beyond me, but they do, she's already sold out a stadium in Portugal this summer.

Madonna

The music has long since become immaterial and people go to the stadium tours just for the greatest hits package.

She has become the pop equivalent of the Rolling Stones; but she's made her money, I doubt she gives a shit.

Comment

Madonna

I used to love Madonna and, as you say, there have been signs of a return to form in Ray of Light and even Music but, good grief, that was 12 years ago.

Comment

Madonna

I thought Hung Up was a pretty good track.

Comment

Madonna

She's been crap for fucking years. Churning out turgid tripe that neither inspires nor entertains. All that shit spouted about her re-inventing herself each time she produces a new album is bollocks as well. She just mimics styles that have been around for ages and makes them blander and more mainstream, it's no more than Cliff Richard used to do in the 70s and 80s. She's never invented shit. She's just a musical Lyre bird.

Comment

Madonna

steveeeeeeeee, George, Bored of Education, Sean of the Shed; seconded.

Comment

Madonna

Interesting though, isn't it? Bowie or the Stones release rubbish single after rubbish single and nobody blinks. I wonder why we are bothered about Madonna

Comment

Madonna

I was wondering that too, especially as unlike for Bowie and the Stones the people on this thread are not exactly Madonna's target demographic.

Her recent output is also not noticeably shitter than that of most other chart pop artists so I'm not sure why she gets that much flak on here.

Comment

Madonna

Probably because she is (was?) still a commercial proposition from a charts prospective.

The last few stragglers who were still interested in a new Rolling Stones album finally stopped caring some time around 1983. Bowie limped on until Absolute Beginners in 1986 before his days as a regular Top 10 artist* ceased. Some of his late-era albums were well received of course.

*He scraped into the top 10 singles chart in the early nineties with a track most people probably wouldn't know existed.

Comment

Madonna

George wrote:
                    Probably because she is (was?) still a commercial proposition from a charts prospective.
                    But her tracks are no worse than most of what's in the charts so I don't get why people especially moan about her.

Comment

Madonna

Ah, but you can put a face to Madonna's music. Fuck knows who most of these other chancers are who I hear on the radio .

Comment

Madonna

even Music
                        Music is perhaps the most embarrassingly bad pop song of all time, with lyrics to match.

I no longer trust you on anything music(or Music)-related, Bored. This is a crushing disappointment.

Comment

Madonna

Fussbudget wrote:
                          George wrote:
                          But her tracks are no worse than most of what's in the charts so I don't get why people especially moan about her.
                          No, her stuff is far worse, because it aims to be cutting-edge pop but is just a poorly made and permanently out of date facsimile of the real thing.

You can't compare her to the Stones or Bowie, Michael Jackson or Prince would be the natural comparisons. Jackson went decades releasing crap, but at least it was *his* crap, singularly his the more time went on. Prince stopped trying to be a pop star a long time ago and does things very much his way. Madonna still believes she's hot stuff when she clearly isn't and nothing about the music she produces can be called original 30 years into her career, she's still searching for her own voice and sound.

Comment

Madonna

steveeeeeeeee wrote:
                            Madonna still believes she's hot stuff when she clearly isn't
                            Globally successful popstar in "high self esteem" shock.

Comment

Madonna

Heh, indeed.

steveeeeeeeee wrote:
                              No, her stuff is far worse, because it aims to be cutting-edge pop
                              Does it really? I don't think she's said anything of the sort for years. All she seems to be aiming for these days is to stay relevant enough to sell records, and she's managing that just fine.

As for the "finding her voice" business, I don't see that it matters very much. The fact that Jackson's crap was his crap didn't make it any less crap.

Comment

Madonna

George wrote:

The last few stragglers who were still interested in a new Rolling Stones album finally stopped caring some time around 1983. Bowie limped on until Absolute Beginners in 1986 before his days as a regular Top 10 artist* ceased. Some of his late-era albums were well received of course.

*He scraped into the top 10 singles chart in the early nineties with a track most people probably wouldn't know existed.
                                Little Wonder?

Comment

Madonna

MsD wrote:
                                  steveeeeeeeee wrote:
                                  Madonna still believes she's hot stuff when she clearly isn't
                                  Globally successful popstar in "high self esteem" shock.
                                  Doesn't mean we have to share her high opinion of herself, much as we don't have to share, say, David Cameron's high opinion of himself.

Comment

Madonna

Where's the rolling eyes smiley when you need it.

Comment

Madonna

OK, get over yourselves.

She was there when you needed it, whether you needed it or not, so stop it.

MDNA is possibly not her best, and I have to say (sorry MsD), she is a lovely woman, but possibly wont get any more fans for her looks... she is becoming more and more 'taut' by the second.

However, aside from Prince, there is no other American who can write/make hits like she can.

So, you know, all of YOUR favourites will get older too. So fuck off.

or most others.

I will fight for the right for Madonna to be shite. She has fucking earned it.

Comment

Madonna

*Although I do see where 'Jessica Sarah Horse' got her look from!

Comment

Madonna

Or, making this famous, was one of the most gratuitously brilliant things she ever did:

Vogue

So, much as she hasnt hit the mark, recently (although one of the songs from MDMA is a fucking belter), she has history, so, leave it alone. There will be one more song, which will 'get' you, and you will all hate yourself for that.

Madonna is king. Long live the ... well ok, I almost went into overdrive there, but she is ok.

Comment

Madonna

And of course, although purely personal, being driven over the Fulham Road bridge, with 4 queens in the car (me included) listening to 'Hanky Panky', at 120 mph was rather exhilirating... hopefully, Clive will never do that again (Will you, C?)

Comment

Madonna

I am not a huge fan, I just forget to finish off paragraphs, when I am typing, so they tend to latch onto 7 or 8 posts.

Comment

Madonna

See, I was never a fan, per se. I always thought she was a bit 'hardass', and that was good.

Then I saw 'Evita', and with her, the whole thing changed (Elaine Paige was never needy, and the best, Julie Covington, was part of a TV programme, although brilliant).

This was the best thing Madonna ever did.

Comment

Madonna

She was born 20 years too late to play THE best part for her: Mary Magdelene in 'Jesus Christ Superstar', ... but then she would have had serious competition from Yvonne Elliman...

... and then I looked THAT up. Did any of you know that Agnetha from ABBA played Yvonne Elliman's part, first, just to warm up for the UK stage? Then they made the film, and by this time ABBA were about to be... ABBA.

All, almost true, my friendly mentalists. DONT WIKI it... its true in life.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X