Songs Describing Places in Absurdly Idealized Terms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
    Went to Mull of Kintyre once and whilst it wasn't terrible my desire wasn't always to be there. Macca never mentioned the mosquitos.
    Potential sub-thread here of places that are mistaken for somewhere else due to a song or other reference. Tell anyone of a certain age you're going to, or have been to (the island of) Mull and they'll inevitably ask "Mull of Kintyre?" or if you are really unlucky, start singing it.

Comment

Someone younger might ask whether it genuinely has a historical society.

(I'm only saying 'might' though.)

Comment

Germans might ask if you took out the rubbish (allowing for British disregard for umlauts).

Comment

Umlauts are not possible here any more.

Comment

In San Jose, they’ve got a lot of space haven’t they?

Comment

And when Tom Jones sings of that green green grass of home, is there much in “Portalbot”?

Comment

Well, it was written by Curly Putman. Looking up on Wiki where he was born, I found that it was in Princeton, Alalabama. And opening the link to that place, there was a photo that included a patch of lawn which is indeed quite green. Not much of an oak tree though.

Comment

Top work G-Man

Comment

Now I’m thinking Day Trip to Bangor may be on a par with Ode to Billy Joe for a poignant non-telling of a secret tale of suffering. What was really going on with Elsie? Was she pregnant?

Comment

Maybe so, although the narrator’s very quick to tell us all that it was the motion of the wheels turning - nothing more. Perhaps Elsie wasn’t yet ready to go public.

Comment

Working...
                      X