Orbital tracks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orbital tracks

Orbital release 'Wonky', their first studio album in seven years, on Monday. So with excitement reaching feverish levels, I've been trawling through the band's lesser known tracks and have collected a few from the later (or what might charitably be termed the more esoteric) phase of their career. I know the critical consensus is that the quality dropped right off with the last few albums, but there's still plenty worth listening to, and some of the tracks that didn't make the cut had the edge over those that did - so here are a few gems you might have missed.

Orbital tracks

Beelzebeat
    (2001, Bonus track on the Funny Break single)
    A remix of the somewhat insipid Funny Break that took on a life of its own and mutated into a convoluted beast of a track. By turns boisterous and playful, demented and demure.

Initiation (remix)
    (2005, Blue Album limited edition bonus track)
    Cafe del Mar langour with a spooky twist – released in its original incarnation as a section of Orbital's 2003 soundtrack to the British horror flick Octane.

What Happens Next?
    (2005, One Perfect Sunrise single bonus track)
    Dirty industrial piledriver in the mould of classic Orbital banger Satan.

Technologicque Park
    (2002, xXx Soundtrack)
    It would've been criminal had Orbital never appeared as themselves in a nightclub scene from a movie - and in 2002 that's exactly what they got a chance to do, playing this careering number that's not unlike The Prodigy's Speedway.

Old Style
    (1999, Style single bonus track)
    The best of the Style remixes (the Big Pipe mix deploys a devastating sample from Devil Gate Drive but loses marks for its two-minute bagpipe intro), this brings a Krautrock twist to one of the coolest melodies Orbital ever wrote.

Mock Tudor
    (1999, Style single bonus track)
    A slice of almost hauntological whimsy, predating the style of Ghost Box's Belbury Poly.

Monorail
    (2001, The Altogether DVD edition bonus track)
    Electronic music and rail-based mass transport – a marriage made in heaven. The reason this glorious contribution didn't make the regular version of the album when the career-low Illuminate, featuring the dreary vocal contribution of David Gray, is there for all to suffer, surely only becomes clear when one recalls that Gray is Paul and Phil Hartnoll's brother-in-law.

The Box (Box EP version 2)
    The Box (Box EP version 3)

(1996, Box EP)
    Oh, this is it. Not strictly speaking later era Orbital, coming from the In Sides sessions, but these were too good to leave out. Turn off the lights, close the curtains, relax and enjoy these sumptuous re-imaginings in your own dark little space. Creaking doors, harpsichords, ticking clocks, jazz flute... don't have nightmares!

Doctor Look Out!
    (2000, Beached single bonus track)
    OK, so they did a crap version of the Doctor Who theme. But they made up for it with this, featuring a sample from... does anyone know which story? (Clue: that 'zap' isn't a ray gun, it's part of the incidental music)

Frenetic
    (2002 single, Rest EP)
    A moment of all-out pop form Orbital, released as the only new track on Work, their singles compilation. Frothy.

Beached (long version)
    (2000 single)
    From Danny Boyle's 2000 film adaptation of The Beach. Yeah, this extended version has Leonardo DiCaprio samples all over it, but the eight minutes are so exhilarating you don't really notice.

Orbital tracks

I liked One Perfect Sunrise (2004).

Comment

Orbital tracks

Yeah, strange one that - the last track from what was at the time their final LP, and a lot of people were saying how cool it was for them to go back to their 'tribal' roots, without realising that they never really did tribal dance music in the first place. I suppose by then, the Glastonbury sets had had their effect. Good track, though.

Comment

Orbital tracks

Awesome! Downloading it now.

FWIW, my favourite track is (and will probably always be) their best Kraftwerk tribute, 'Kein Trink Wasser', from what is also my favourite album of theirs, 'Snivilisation'

(I recently tried to include that track on a compilation of tracks influenced by early-ish Kraftwerk, but the upload of Orbital tracks seems to be automatically blocked by Soundcloud! OMD's 'ABC Auto Industry' and Komputer's 'Looking Down On London (Metroland)' had the same fate.)

Comment

Orbital tracks

No Stan?

Comment

Orbital tracks

Never reallygot Orbital's sound.I quite liked the melodic Belfast but apart from that I just find their sound a bit 'flat'-tinny even

Comment

Orbital tracks

Belfast is wonderful. I heard Judge Jules open his set with it at the Cafe Del Mar at sunset.

Give me a job at Mixmag! It was really good though, honestly.

The Girl With The Sun In Her Head

Comment

Orbital tracks

Cheers mumpo. In true trainspotter fashion, my favourite Orbital track is Highrise off the first album.

The Doctor Who theme tune track is very good live .

Comment

Orbital tracks

Yes, it is. I remember not liking it much on the album.

Comment

Orbital tracks

The new album is breathtakingly good. What a return to form.

Comment

Orbital tracks

Listened to this first time last night on a long car journey through Wales. Really enjoyed it and some of the tracks fitted the surroundings perfectly. My initial favourite track is Squidgy Acid I think.

Loved the live cd too, especially Chime Crime at the end. Reminded me to dig out the remixes it came from when I get home (inversions?)

Comment

Orbital tracks

The only disappointing thing about the album is that the 'deluxe' edition has only those five very old (yes, 'classic', but very old) tracks (Lush, Impact, Satan, Belfast and Chime) tacked onto the end. The new material is so good, I don't really want to be reminded of past glories.

Still waiting for the Quietus review. I see Lord Carcass of Quietushire did a sterling job with his write-up in the NME.

Comment

Working...
                        X