The New Vaudeville Band

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The New Vaudeville Band

So, this is a terrific candidate for a nil thread, though there is at least one OTFer who I'm looking to for a contribution.

I was looking through my parents' record collection a few days ago (see the Max Bygraves Discolongamax post) and came across an old favourite of mine when I was a kid, some sort of EP from the slightly mysterious The New Vaudeville Band. The music was quirky (a bit Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band-ish) and I thought that the potted biographies on the back cover were funny.

Anyway, much to my surprise TNVB had a bit of chart success and, like the back cover, their Wiki entry is quite amusing too:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Vaudeville_Band

Just listening to it on YT I'm further surprised to realise that I have heard Winchester Cathedral before:

Though Finchley Central isn't ringing any bells:

Anyway, I'd recommend their version of Thoroughly Modern Millie at 22:03:

Anyone else heard of them?
    Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 26-07-2020, 14:29.

The back cover:

Comment

Saw the thread title and thought immediately Winchester Cathedral and Finchley Central. The latter fascinated me when I later developed an interest in the London underground. Firstly, was it factually correct? Was it actually 2/6 to travel from Golders Green to Finchley Central? More importantly, why would anyone make such a journey on the Northern Line? It would mean travelling all the way to Camden Town and then back out again. Surely there was a 'bus? You could even walk it. Perhaps that's the joke I've missed. And to be honest those are the only words I know from the song, so perhaps the issue is addressed later in the lyrics.
      Last edited by Capybara; 26-07-2020, 13:35.

Comment

I mentioned them in one of the chart threads recently - on the list of UK acts who got to number 1 in America, which they achieved with Winchester Cathedral - but can't claim to know anything about them. In fact I put them on that list mainly for that reason, as it seemed such an incongruous US No. 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
          Saw the thread title and thought immediately Winchester Cathedral and Finchley Central. The latter fascinated me when I later developed an interest in the London underground. Firstly, was it factually correct? Was it actually 2/6 to travel from Golders Green to Finchley Central? More importantly, why would anyone make such a journey on the Northern Line? It would mean travelling all the way to Camden Town and then back out again. Surely there was a 'bus? You could even walk it. Perhaps that's the joke I've missed. And to be honest those are the only words I know from the song, so perhaps the issue is addressed later in the lyrics.

Trust me, I've made some pretty short trips on the Northern Line, admittedly usually Morden to South Wimbledon when I fell asleep on the way home and woke up at the end of the line!

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
            I mentioned them in one of the chart threads recently - on the list of UK acts who got to number 1 in America, which they achieved with Winchester Cathedral - but can't claim to know anything about them. In fact I put them on that list mainly for that reason, as it seemed such an incongruous US No. 1.

Absolutely. Maybe Anglophilia was rife in the US (and Canada and South Africa) in 1966, because the vocals couldn't get any more English.

They were managed by Peter Grant too. That's even more incongruous!
            Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 26-07-2020, 21:48.

Comment

Working...
            X