Music that makes you think of OTFers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music that makes you think of OTFers

Just heard Why does it Always Rain On Me on the radio and thought of Balderdasha because she used to live in their house.

You can guess this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHF6ZOeI8Xc

Comment

Funnily enough, I'd never watched the video for "Why Does It Always Rain On Me?" (I never lived in a house with sky TV so never watched any channels like MTV. I've seen very few music videos. Watching some music videos with the kids on YouTube has been quite eye opening). I just watched it today. Pleasantly Scottish with a hint of surrealism.

Comment

I always thought Travis were deadly dull, but would be great value on a night out. No idea why.

Comment

Vive Le Rock was played over here on radio shows commemorating the anniversary of Live Aid and I was wondering about MsD's memories of that performance.

Comment

Haha. Well ... do you really want to know? I think Adam was shafted by Geldof. The funniest thing for me is that Marco sold it to Chris (bassist) as “some charity gig Adam wants to do on Saturday, no dosh but might be a laugh”, so Chris still has the diary with “charity gig?” scrawled on the Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
              Yes. For so many reasons.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                  Haha. Well ... do you really want to know? I think Adam was shafted by Geldof. The funniest thing for me is that Marco sold it to Chris (bassist) as “some charity gig Adam wants to do on Saturday, no dosh but might be a laugh”, so Chris still has the diary with “charity gig?” scrawled on the Saturday.
                  What a great bit of background. But how was he shafted?

Talking of Mr Goddard, he used to come to a restaurant in Chelsea where I worked in 1985/86. I think he used to come with his dad. I wasn't particularly impressed by celebrity, because we used to get many of them. I was always surprised by how shy some of the most flamboyant performers were. And when in conversation I recall hat observation, Adam Ant is my go-to example. Not much of a dandy highwayman, he didn't look flash, nor did he grab my attention. He was shy and polite and utterly unremarkable. It's how we liked our celebs, tbh.

Comment

Adam expected to be able to do three songs, I believe, if he’d known it would be one they might have done something other than VLR. All bands have their ideas for the arc of a set, even short sets, so are wrong-footed by having to cut it short.

Comment

Yes, he's often pulled up for performing Vive le Rock at Live Aid. (Rather unfairly, it must be said.)

Guess the punters just wanted a whistlestop 'Adam-on-45'-kinda thang.

Comment

Also Chris is still beating himself up for wearing double denim to the “charity gig”; if he’d known he’d have dressed up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                          Yes, he's often pulled up for performing Vive le Rock at Live Aid. (Rather unfairly, it must be said.)

Live Aid has been covered on a couple of podcasts recently, with it being the anniversary, so I'm not sure who said it but it was pointed out that he certainly wasn't the only artist to do new material (also some did album tracks, some even unreleased album tracks) but is always the one pulled up for it (mainly because it was his only track of course).

Comment

I've learned something today – I've always heard how he got a kicking for it, but never knew until right now that it was the only song he got to do. Certainly paints things in a different light if he was expecting to, er, stand and deliver the hits afterwards.

Though I'm not sure whether "Your money or your life" would've been a highly appropriate or highly inappropriate refrain that day, had he got to that one.

Comment

Not as bad as the kicking Duran Duran got for their mangling of "View to a Kill".

Comment

Ah yes, the Bum Note Heard Round The World. Poor old Simon.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

If I remember correctly, Elvis Costello only got one song as well. He picked a rather more appropriate one (All You Need is Love).

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                    Ah yes, the Bum Note Heard Round The World. Poor old Simon.
                                    I think was when he had his breakdown and tried to sail his yacht to Rio and got about as far as Falmouth before it sank. I might be misrembering this.
                                    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 14-07-2020, 18:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post

If I remember correctly, Elvis Costello only got one song as well. He picked a rather more appropriate one (All You Need is Love).
                                      Performed on acoustic guitar.

Comment

One of the highlights of the day.

Comment

I've just realised that I've got a complete false memory of watching Live Aid. I was playing cricket, got out to a slower ball for 49, and came back into the pavilion where the rest of the team were watching the concert. Except that that was a team I joined in 1987, so it couldn't be true. Now I'm going to have to rack my brains to figure out a) where did I actually watch Live Aid, and b) was there another charity Wembley gig in the late 80s that I'm confusing it with?

Comment

Could a.) be related to the 10th anniversary reshowing they did on the BBC? I'm too young to remember the original Live Aid broadcast, but I distinctly recall what it was like seeing the all-day rebroadcast of it in 1995.

And b.) probably, yes. Live Aid helped spark a whole rash of these things, didn't it?

Comment

There was a big event at Wembley around Easter 1992 for AIDS after Freddie Mercury died but I can't remember if it was an all day thing or just in the evening.

Comment

The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert, which raised money for the Mercury Phoenix Trust for AIDS research. It was an evening thing, as far as I recall, as it was 'only' a few hours long – I have clear memories of watching it on a black-and-white TV, of all things. Which makes it seem like it must've been about 1976, but I was 12, my parents were watching other stuff in the living room and even in 1992 that was the only alternative we had in the spare bedroom.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                                  I think was when he had his breakdown and tried to sail his yacht to Rio and got about as far as Falmouth before it sank. I might be misrembering this.
                                                  He certainly talked about something similar once in an embarrassing, sweary, coked-up interview on Saturday Superstore (ie, kids' TV) with Mike Read.

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                                  There was a big event at Wembley around Easter 1992 for AIDS after Freddie Mercury died but I can't remember if it was an all day thing or just in the evening.
                                                  Depends which invitation you got?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X