Songs that take forever to get to The Good Bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Mother Protect" by Niki & The Dove takes 2 mins and 13 seconds to get to The Good Bit. That's a long time (for an essentially good song), isn't it?

(I mean, let's take facetious jokes about songs that NEVER get to The Good Bit as read, or, you know, The Good Bit being when it ends.)

Layla - the piano outro.

Comment

The Quo were always one for the long intros.

There are times you think the song's going to kick in proper and it simply doesn't.

Comment

The guitar riff in Bohemian Rhapsody.

When I was a teenager my friends and I would wait and wait and wait for that bit and then headbang like crazy.

Comment

Jongudmund wrote:
          The guitar riff in Bohemian Rhapsody.

When I was a teenager my friends and I would wait and wait and wait for that bit and then headbang like crazy.
          Party on Wayne!

Comment

Higher State of Consciousness by Josh Wink, the crazy 303 bit.

Comment

Cocteau Twins - 'The Spangle Maker'

...although, to be fair, the journey is half the fun in this case.

Comment

The first one that sprang to mind for me, though, was the 17'55'' version of the Irdial remix of 'In Unity' by Voyager.

That link is to the 7'35'' edit and the little breakdown that releases the tension at 4'15'' in that one takes a mesmerising 9'00'' to arrive in the full version ...and then it's back to the claustrophobic little keyboard loop for the remainder of the track. It's ridiculous, yet compelling.

Comment

City Sickness by the Tindersticks takes an introduction and two verses to get to the chorus. Two minutes out of a four-and-a-half minute song. It's worth it, but always makes me impatient.

Comment

LCD Soundsystem, "Dance Yrself Clean." (3:08 in)

But the good part wouldn't be as good if the beginning wasn't so quiet.

Comment

Stairway to Heaven, of course.

Comment

The version of 'Welcome To The Pleasuredome' on the FGTH album takes about ten minutes of intro before the song even starts. I quite like it if i'm in the mood. You can kind of hear what they're trying to do. Create a Powell and Pressburger epic golden staircase feel, elysian fields, Aneas in the underworld, like that gaff they're all sitting in on the inside cover with the vine leaves and shit. It doesn't really work, but at least it shows massive ambition.

Getting the good bit over too quickly though is another problem. Duran Duran tunes always ran into that. Do the killer chorus too quickly and what else are you gonna do? where are you gonna go? all you can do is um do the chorus again, bit of slap bass, do the chorus again, bit more slap bass, chorus again and so on. 'The Chauffeur' is their only tune, off the top of my head that doesn't fit that pattern.

Everything Chinn and Chapman ever did too.

Comment

'I'll Stick Around' by The Foo Fighters - when they were still good, obviously.

Comment

steveeeeeeeee wrote:
                            In a similar vein, Insomnia by Faithless.

Comment

I Am the Resurrection by The Stone Roses. It's all good but the buildup to when Ian finally sings the title/chorus is well done.

Comment

I actually like the big wig-out at the end of that too.

Comment

Metallica - One

Comment

The one that I've just been thinking of is more a case of not exploiting the 'good bit' sufficiently: the sample from Tom Petty is only used briefly, and once, in Fun Lovin' Criminals' Super Models on My D, despite the fact it works really well.

edit: OK, twice. On the youtube version anyway. Maybe my album is a different one.

Oh and it's really called Big Night Out

Comment

Independence Day by the Comsat Angels, there's no precise moment, it just builds and builds, and gets better and better. The original version of course.

Comment

Another nineties dance one: Cafe Del Mar by Energy 52.

Comment

Brushed With Oil, Dusted With Powder by Scritti Politti is a nice song but the outro is truly gorgeous. Kicks in at about 4.08.

Comment

'MacArthur Park' by Donna Summer. Moroder was always the one for the endless foreplay.

BTW am I the only one who thinks LaDonna occasionally sounds like Cruella DeVille in that song?

Comment

Elbow's Station Approach.

Comment

Good thread, I'm sorry I took so long to post..(groan)

Anyway,

Adem - These Are Your Friends

David Karsten Daniels - We Go Right On

And the best of all:

Cortney Tidwell - Eyes At the Billions

Comment

grippersi wrote:
                                                  steveeeeeeeee wrote:
                                                  In a similar vein, Insomnia by Faithless.
                                                  But that's the point, isn't it, especially with Higher States? It's a classic E tune, danceable from the off, but builds and builds to a climax. Even more so live.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X