Bizarre product placement in songs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andrew7610 View Post
    Scritti Politti are my go-to for threads like this, Green managing to pair 'Moto Guzzi, and Gaultier pants' in Boom! There She Was
    These managed to remind me, obliquely, of what must surely still be one of the best uses of a brand name in a song – Radiohead deploying 'Gucci' in Paranoid Android as 1.) an adjective and 2.) an insult:
    Ambition makes you look pretty ugly
    Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy

Comment

Lazy Line Painter Jane by Belle & Sebastian has a reference to a guide to thrush treatment produced by Boots.

Comment

Trojans, some of them used [a brand of condom, I believe] - Prince, Little Red Corvette

Comment

There's probably already a thread about cars in songs. Bowling for Soup mention a Trans Am in Girl All the Bad Guys Want.

Comment

I think that would wind up one of the longest threads in OTF history.

McDonald’s and its wares obviously receive many-a run out in popular music: off the top of the ol’ noodle, the fast-food giant features in songs by Pop Will Eat Itself, Run DMC and The Streets...and doubtless hundreds more.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

McDonald’s and its wares obviously receive many-a run out in popular music: off the top of the ol’ noodle, the fast-food giant features in songs by Pop Will Eat Itself, Run DMC and The Streets...and doubtless hundreds more.
              Gang of Four, 2nd album

Comment

Meanwhile, the aforementioned X-Ray Spex stayed (deliberately) downmarket with their mention of the Wimpey Bar in the excellent Day the World Turned Dayglo.

To be honest, there weren’t many McDonald’s restaurants open in the UK at the time that single was released.

Comment

It's funny to remember a time when Big Macs were cool.

Comment

Jah Womble Were they talking about a pub for house builders?

Comment

I thought the Wimpy Bar was dead glam when my Dad first took me. Lynchian red velvet curtains in the booths at the back.

Comment

I was going to mention The Day ... (solipsistic, moi?) but I don't think it's bizarre to mention all those products, it's all in context.

Comment

Even in 1988 my mate thought the PWEI song said "Big Mac, Fries and Coke" because "to go" did not compute with him. I know it wasn't commonly used in the UK then (and isn't really commonly used now I suppose) but it wasn't like he'd never seen an American film or TV show.

Comment

This kind of knowledge can cause a depression
                            So I bide my time with philosophical questions
                            Not for nothing, but what came first'
                            The chicken nugget or the Egg McMuffin'

The World Should Revolve Around Me - Little Jackie

Comment

Rumour has it that Cobain had never heard of the deodorant brand until the record was a hit, which seems a tad fanciful. (What he must've thought Kathleen Hanna meant when she scrawled it on his wall must then be anyone's guess.)
                              According to this, 'Cobain took it as a compliment, thinking Hanna meant to say that he still carried the spirit of teenage rebellion.'

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                Jah Womble Were they talking about a pub for house builders?
                                Don't try to pretend that you don’t remember!

(Edit: Ah, okay, I get it now - I misspelt ‘Wimpy’.)

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                I was going to mention The Day ... (solipsistic, moi?) but I don't think it's bizarre to mention all those products, it's all in context.
                                Oh, not many of these are genuinely ‘bizarre’ at all - and not many really represent ‘product placement’, come to that. (Certainly not X-Ray Spex, who were always highlighting the crassness of consumerism within their lyrics.)
                                Last edited by Jah Womble; 07-07-2020, 21:47.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                  Mars Bar by the Undertones mentions the above snack , as well as Twix, Bounty and Buttons.
                                  The Undertones also mention Subbuteo in 'My Perfect Cousin'.

He always beat me at Subbuteo
                                  'cause he flicked the kick
                                  And I didn't know

Comment

Don't try to pretend that you don’t remember!

(Edit: Ah, okay, I get it now - I misspelt ‘Wimpy’.)

Oh, not many of these are genuinely ‘bizarre’ at all - and not many really represent ‘product placement’, come to that. (Certainly not X-Ray Spex, who were always highlighting the crassness of consumerism within their lyrics.)
                                    I think most of the above are a case of trying to find something that rhymed. Blinded By The Light has no many stupid rhymes that it looks like it was written by a 12 year old:

https://genius.com/Manfred-manns-ear...e-light-lyrics

Comment

A 12 year old with a rhyming dictionary

The song came about when Columbia president Clive Davis, upon listening to an early version of Greetings from Asbury Park N.J., felt the album lacked a potential single. Springsteen wrote this and "Spirit in the Night" in response.

According to Springsteen, he wrote the song by going through a rhyming dictionary in search of appropriate words. The first line of the song, "Madman drummers, bummers, and Indians in the summers with a teenage diplomat" is autobiographical—"Madman drummers" is a reference to drummer Vini Lopez, known as "Mad Man" (later changed to "Mad Dog"); "Indians in the summer" refers to the name of Springsteen's old Little League team; "teenage diplomat" refers to himself. The remainder of the song tells of many unrelated events, with the refrain of "Blinded by the light, cut loose like a deuce, another runner in the night".

Comment

JFA - Cokes and Snickers

Cokes and Snickers is all I eat
                                        Cokes and Snickers is all I need
                                        Health sucks, health sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Qmz2qJvDs

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                          I thought the Wimpy Bar was dead glam when my Dad first took me. Lynchian red velvet curtains in the booths at the back.
                                          And the zenith was the Wimpy Mixed Grill. I felt really grown up having one of those.

Comment

Billy Bragg's Sexuality mentions a Mitsubishi Zero, but for some reason he chooses to drive it, rather than fly it like everybody else would.

Comment

The Kinks' Lola-gate was obviously a high-profile example of the BBC getting its knickers in a twist over surreptitious advertising. A few years on, Kodachrome by Paul Simon became another - to the extent that this (appropriately) gold-selling US hit was pulled from release and hidden away as a b-side to Take Me to the Mardi Gras.

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                              And the zenith was the Wimpy Mixed Grill. I felt really grown up having one of those.
                                              I'm fascinated by how well these places are remembered: the branch we had in Canterbury was fairly, well, 'basic' - certainly nothing like MsD's Lynchian dream - and the food pretty much matched it. I can recall having a mushroom soup starter there that was more water than actual soup: this was followed by a burger that would've served more than adequately as a drinks coaster, both in terms of size and texture.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                A 12 year old with a rhyming dictionary

[/SUP]
                                                A case of having one of your biggest hits as a songwriter with your worst song, which is another thread.

Comment

Reebok - Black Grape's Submarine

Comment

Originally posted by Nurse Duckett View Post
                                                    Reebok - Black Grape's Submarine
                                                    ....and same in their Reverend Black Grape

Comment

Working...
                                                    X