Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Film Actors Who Had Just One Top 40 Chart Hit (in UK or US)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
    It would also have benefited from Emery, as you say, being a long-term BBC stalwart - hence all manner of the channel's light-ent figures cropping up on TOTP with their terrible records. (If the Two Ronnies had covered Gary Gilmore's Eyes, they'd have found some way of crowbarring it in for sure.)
    In one of those things I have no need or desire to remember but still do, I recall Ronnie Barker "doing" Buster Bloodvessel with a song that went "I got bad habits / I don't feed me mother's rabbits". In the way these things went the parody was probably years after Bad Manners' heyday so too late for a cash-in single.

Comment

Has anybody mentioned Sheb Wooley yet, and his number one single The Purple People Eater?

Comment

I know it's not UK or US, but:

Oliver Kahn was not only in the running for an Oscar as Best Supporting Actor for his role in Deutschland: Ein Sommermaerchen, but also sang his stocking-tops off on Far Away In America, which, I think, scraped into the German Top 40 in 1994.
        Last edited by treibeis; 03-07-2020, 10:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
          In one of those things I have no need or desire to remember but still do, I recall Ronnie Barker "doing" Buster Bloodvessel with a song that went "I got bad habits / I don't feed me mother's rabbits". In the way these things went the parody was probably years after Bad Manners' heyday so too late for a cash-in single.
          Jeez, I remember that well - to be fair, it was at the time (1981), and in the same sketch, Ronnie Corbett parodied Adam Ant as 'Adam Gnat'. My issues with it were two-fold: a) Buster Bloodvessel (or 'Buster Gut', as Ronnie Barker had it) was pretty much a comic turn anyway, so sending him up would be no more than aping what he did in the first place (ie, pointless); and b) TOTP at that time simply wasn't the Ronnies' demographic. I'd doubt that Barker had even heard of Bad Manners before that sketch was cooked up. (They'd tried rock 'n' roll pastiches some years earlier - Corbett as Elton John and Barker as Bill Haley, which at least felt more in the ballpark of something their audience might recognise.)

Comment

Really pushing the envelope here, but John " Nasty Nick " Altman, who appeared in Quadrophenia, and played George Harrison in Birth of the Beatles, had a number one in the UK as part of the "Ferry Aid " charity single.

Also Tim Roth, Amanda Plummer and Harvey Keitel were all sampled on Scooby Snacks by The Fun Loving Crimimals.

Comment

One hit wonders almost everywhere except for Germany with the mighty Da Da Da, Trio made their own feature film, Drei Gegen Drei.

Comment

Completing the alphabet:

Kiri Te Kanawa (played herself in Don't Let it Get to You, 1966), World in Union, No.4, 1991
                Topol, If I Were A Rich Man, No.9, 1967
                Norman Vaughan, Swinging in the Rain, No.34, 1962
                Denise Welch, You Don't Have to Say You Love Me, No.23, 1995
                Jane Wiedlin, Rush Hour, No.12, 1988 (though later had a top 40 hit with the reunited Go-Gos, 1995)
                Dooley Wilson, As Time Goes By, No.15, 1977 (also featuring credited voices of Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman)
                "Weird Al" Yankovic, Eat It, No.36, 1984

Citation needed:
                All of the members of Toto Coelo, I Eat Cannibals Part 1, No.8, 1982
                The band was briefly featured in the unreleased horror film Grizzly II: The Predator , performing "Milk from the Coconut" in a few scenes of the rock concert

Comment

And one I forgot to include:

Mel Smith, Rockin' Around the Christams Tree (with Kim Wilde), No.3, 1987

Comment

I can't believe that Tony Hawks has never appeared in a film, but apparently not, so I can't force Stutter Rap into this thread.

I've also googled the careers of both Hale and Pace, and neither of them have bothered Hollywood either.

Comment

Musicians in films are outside the remit if they are performing music or appearing in documentaries rather than being actors.

Eamonn Andrews squeezes in with a #18 hit and a TV movie of "Babes In The Wood"

Jane Wyman and Grace Kelly both had one-off hits in duets with Bing Crosby.
                      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 03-07-2020, 23:53.

Comment

Did Terry Wogan ever make a cameo film appearance?

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                        I can't believe that Tony Hawks has never appeared in a film, but apparently not, so I can't force Stutter Rap into this thread.
                        There were apparently feature-length movies of his Round Ireland with a Fridge and Playing the Moldovans at Tennis comedy projects, but while he was ‘in’ them, he wasn’t exactly acting.

But you surely nobody wants to be recalling the awful pile of old poop that was Stutter Rap?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                          Musicians in films are outside the remit if they are performing music or appearing in documentaries rather than being actors.

Eamonn Andrews squeezes in with a #18 hit and a TV movie of "Babes In The Wood"

Jane Wyman and Grace Kelly both had one-off hits in duets with Bing Crosby.
                          Oh come on, you can't rob the members of Toto Coelo of their places in this pantheon of greats and then crowbar in Eamonn Andrews on account of a TV movie. If TV movies are allowed I've got a lot of cold cases to go back to.

Grace Kelly of course a cornerstone for a spinoff "top 40 hits named after actors". With Robert De Niro. No, stop it.....

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                            Did Terry Wogan ever make a cameo film appearance?
                            I tried to find one yesterday, but to no avail.

One that got away (linked to Wogan), Lorraine Chase was famously not on the cash-in single for her "Luton Airport" Campari advert which did make the top 40, and then on the back of that she released her own single "It's Nice ere Innit" which failed to chart.

And in another link to Wogan, I thought I was onto something with brass bands and their connection to the film Brassed Off but again, nothing. The Brighouse and Rastrick Brass Band of course took The Floral Dance higher than he did, but weren't in the film. The Grimethorpe Colliery Band were in the film, but they valued cred over chart potential with their appearances, including When an Old Cricketer Leaves The Crease by Roy Harper and, er, an NCB advert with Max Bygraves. (Make note to crowbar into future thread somehow, Andy Cato of Groove Armada used to play trombone in the band).

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

Grace Kelly of course a cornerstone for a spinoff "top 40 hits named after actors". With Robert De Niro. No, stop it.....
                              Bette Davis.And I've only just found out that Kim Carnes' version wasn't the original.
                              Last edited by Sporting; 04-07-2020, 15:08.

Comment

Steve Martin had one US Top 40 hit - King Tut, #17, 1978

Comment

Anthony Perkins - Moon-Light Swim, #24 in the US, 1958
                                  Anna Kendrick - Cups, #6, 2013
                                  (James Newton Howard featuring) Jennifer Lawrence - The Hanging Tree (The Hunger Games Song), #12, 2014

Comment

Lief Garret, I was made for dancing, UK #4 1978

Comment

Originally posted by MarkF View Post
                                      Lief Garret, I was made for dancing, UK #4 1978
                                      Disqualified on account of minor follow-up hit Feel the Need, No.38 1979 (cover of the song usually called Feel the Need in Me).

Comment

Yep, my bad, for some reason I had top 30 in my head as the cut off...

Comment

Cheryl Ladd, Think it Over, US #34, 1978

(her earlier work singing on Josie and The Pussycats records failing to produce a Top 40 hit)

Comment

Working...
                                          X