Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Film Actors Who Had Just One Top 40 Chart Hit (in UK or US)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head has recorded songs in French (he went to the Lycee Francais in South Kensington), though I don't know if any of them charted in France.

Comment

Frank Kelly - Christmas Countdown

Comment

In case nobody mentioned it, Eddie Murphy’s “Party All The Time” got to #2 in the US but only #87 in the UK. It was produced by Rick James.

I guess he just wasn’t as big of a star in the UK and/or that kind of mediocre pop just wasn’t as popular.

Comment

Steve Coogan almost made it with a #42 hit as Tony Ferrino

Rik Mayall had just the one hit as part of The Young Ones

Minnie Driver had one UK Top 40 hit at #34 (2004)

Jim Carrey had one Top 40 hit with a song from The Mask ('Cuban Pete', 1995)

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
            Frank Kelly - Christmas Countdown
            As far as I'm concerned nowadays, Christmas hasn't officially started until I've heard this. This means that officially I'm still waiting for last Christmas to start.

Comment

There's a general theme appearing of comedy actors standing a fair chance of having a hit of some size at some point, doesn't there? Certainly a higher ratio than purely 'straight' actors.

Comment

Because the charts only started after the actors had passed their commercial peaks, George Formby and Judy Garland only had one Top 40 hit each, but would have had numerous hits if the charts had been around in the 30s and 40s (this fact can be inferred from sheet music sales). Formby just scrapes in with a chart run of 47-42-40-OUT. There are probably some other stars of the 40s who would fulfill this criterion.

Comment

Sadly Leonard Nimoy only reached 121 in the Billboard Chart with A Visit to a Sad Planet.

But bear in mind that Nimoy released FIVE albums in his musical 'career'. (None of them troubled the Top 40 mind.)

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                    There's a general theme appearing of comedy actors standing a fair chance of having a hit of some size at some point, doesn't there? Certainly a higher ratio than purely 'straight' actors.
                    Yes, and partly that's because they can record in character, and the UK has a history of films cashing in on sitcoms, which enables sitcom actors to qualify as film actors (OTOH there sitcom actors in this thread who were truly top class actors (Harry H. Corbett in particular).

The signature tune of the Army Game (1958) gave a #5 hit to Michael Medwin, Bernard Bresslaw and Alfie Bass.

Comment

And who can forget My Boomerang Won't Come Back (UK #8, US #14) by Charlie Drake. The legacy of Music Hall and Variety made novelty songs an expectation for British comedians I suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                        And who can forget My Boomerang Won't Come Back (UK #8, US #14) by Charlie Drake.
                        I had until you mentioned it. There was something really creepy about Charlie Drake.

Comment

La Signora has the same feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                            Minnie Driver had one UK Top 40 hit at #34 (2004)
                            Juliette Lewis (& The Licks) also had a musical career which started around the same time (and endured) but without any chart action to speak of.

Comment

And who can forget My Boomerang Won't Come Back (UK #8, US #14) by Charlie Drake. The legacy of Music Hall and Variety made novelty songs an expectation for British comedians I suspect.
                              What about "Splish Splash"?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

Yes, and partly that's because they can record in character, and the UK has a history of films cashing in on sitcoms, which enables sitcom actors to qualify as film actors (OTOH there sitcom actors in this thread who were truly top class actors (Harry H. Corbett in particular).

The signature tune of the Army Game (1958) gave a #5 hit to Michael Medwin, Bernard Bresslaw and Alfie Bass.
                                As mentioned upthread, there are also the Comic Relief abominations to take into account, but they aren't always credited. Hugh Laurie has had two charting albums, and a Billboard Hot 100 single (see one of the other Charts threads), but his sole appearance in the UK singles chart appears to be "Stick it Out" by Right Said Fred and Friends, of which he was one of the friends along with:

Peter Cook, Alan Freeman, Jools Holland, Steve Coogan, Clive Anderson, Pauline Quirke, Linda Robson, Basil Brush and Bernard Cribbins.

The last of which ruled himself out of this thread by having not one but three Top 40 hits.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                  What about "Splish Splash"?
                                  Oh yeah! He covered that didn't he. Totally erased from my memory.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                    I had until you mentioned it.
                                    You mean it's come back to you now?

Comment

Paris Hilton with Stars are Blind (#18 US, #5 UK).

Comment

Does Michael Caine's appearance on the Madness single bearing his name count? He did record the "My name is..." bit specifically for it.

Comment

Although obviously better known as a soap star, Stefan Dennis had parts in a couple of movies. He managed just one UK Top 40 hit with the hilariously-naff Don't It Make You Feel Good?

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                          Wow, Bruce Willis had 2 top 40 UK singles.
                                          Both Top 10, no less.

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                          Occasional film actor Anita Dobson had a No.4 with 'Anyone Can Fall in Love' and follow up 'Talking of Love' stalled at No.43, so she's in.
                                          The former has to be one of the worst records ever made. (Thankfully never heard the follow-up.)

Comment

Does Michael Caine's appearance on the Madness single bearing his name count? He did record the "My name is..." bit specifically for it.
                                            If Michael Caine has never sung in a successful version of "Alfie", then I'm a Dutchman (which I am, sort of; paternal grandmother).

Comment

I would think so. It's a recording of him on a record, it's in.

Mark Wahlberg, before his (Oscar nominated) acting was of course Marky Mark, which he hates being reminded of, but who cares, he's a bit of a prick.

They (Marky Mark and The Funky Bunch) were big in the states, but only had one Top 40 in the UK, with a song called Good Vibrations in 1991. I don't remember it, but as I understand it is not a Beach Boys cover. The follow up reached #42.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                                They (Marky Mark and The Funky Bunch) were big in the states, but only had one Top 40 in the UK, with a song called Good Vibrations in 1991. I don't remember it, but as I understand it is not a Beach Boys cover. The follow up reached #42.
                                                It featured Loleatta Holloway, so you can probably imagine what her contribution sounded like.

Comment

Or Stanley Unwin's participation on Ogden's Nut Gone Flake. Though I'm not sure there were any top 40 songs on that album.

Comment

I thought maybe Scarlet Johannson. She did an album of Tom Waits covers which someone gave me, knowing me to be a big Waits fan. Pretty forgettable. Wiki suggests one of them charted at 23 US Billboard but on closer inspection that was something called the "bubbling under" chart. Still; it's a chart! In the US!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X