Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Film Actors Who Had Just One Top 40 Chart Hit (in UK or US)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Film Actors Who Had Just One Top 40 Chart Hit (in UK or US)

Keith Carradine - I'm Easy (originally recorded for 'Nashville' soundtrack then reworked) - US #17

Lee Marvin - Wanderin' Star (UK #1, Clint Eastwood "I Talk To The Trees" on the b-side)

Murray Head - One Night In Bangkok (UK #12, US #3)

Gotta get Richard Harris - MacArthur Park in there.

I'm guessing he never had another top 40 song or a followup to MP.

Comment

Stretching the definition of "film stars" but Windsor Davies & Don Estelle - their follow up to Whispering Grass only made number 41.

Comment

I thought of Murray Head, looking at Wikipedia he had two hits in the USA, one called Superstar charted in 1972 ( I think).

Anyway, Windsor Davies and Don Estelle " Whispering Grass" .

Comment

Oops, sorry Walt.

Comment

Don Johnson had a top 20 hit with Barbara Streisand - Till I Loved You, which fared better than his solo attempt Heartbeat, which only made it to 46.

Comment

Toni Basil - Mickey (US #1, UK #2). Other releases failed to trouble the top 50 in either country.

Comment

Do we count Telly Savalas as a film actor?

No, okay then - Kim Basinger, who sang the female vocal part on Was (Not Was)‘s Shake Your Head (UK #4, 1992).

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                  I thought of Murray Head, looking at Wikipedia he had two hits in the USA, one called Superstar charted in 1972 ( I think).

Anyway, Windsor Davies and Don Estelle " Whispering Grass" .
                  “I will not have gossip in this jungle!”

Comment

Savalas was a Bond villain and received an Oscar nomination for Birdman of Alcatraz.

He was a film actor.

Comment

Of Corse Telly was a film actor, Birdman of Alcatraz ( Oscar nominated) ,Dirty Dozen, Pontius Pilate in The Greatest Story Ever Told etc.

Comment

And of course Laurel and Hardy - Trail of the Lonesome Pine (UK No 2)

Comment

Jane Birkin and Serge Gainsbourg - Je t'aime... moi non plus (UK#1 US... as if)

Comment

Hey, it made it to 58 on the Hot 100, which isn't bad considering that it was banned all over the place

Comment

Tom Courtenay Mrs Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter (original version)

Comment

Peter Sellars had a couple at least, the politically incorrect Goodness Gracious Me! with Sophia Loren might have been the biggest.

Comment

Patrick Swayze - She's Like The Wind (UK #13 1988), from Dirty Dancing.

Wilfrid Brambell and Harry H Corbett - At The Palace (UK #25, early 1964, just before Brambell was in A Hard Day's Night and two years before Corbett did Carry On Screaming! (probably their biggest cinema roles apart from their own cash-in Steptoe film). They also had a two charting albums in their TV characters.

https://www.officialcharts.com/artis...rry-h-corbett/

Comment

The Monty Python cast have only had the one Top 40 single.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                      That's the 'title track' from Jesus Christ Superstar, I believe. I used to hear it frequently on the Andrew Lloyd Webber tape The Premiere Collection, which was one of the cassettes that seemed to get played on long car journeys pretty much throughout my childhood. I was rather thrown, when I discovered the Guinness books of hit singles, that it had done bugger-all in the charts but he had had a famous hit with One Night In Bangkok – which at the time was completely unknown to me.

Comment

It was.

Head played Judas on the original concept album (which pre-dated any stage production).

Comment

Yes. And wasn't One Night in Bangkok also from a musical? Chess, possibly?

I have just checked and, sadly, none of Ian McShane's singles charted from his Both Sides Now album, a long-time favourite of mine. But he did do the spoken introduction to Slave to Rhythm so that can count.

Comment

Yes, it is from Chess, in which Head played the lead on both the concept album and in the original West End production (but not the famously awful Broadway production).

Comment

Murray Head was a film actor? I've only ever known him as a singer. I had an album years ago called "Say it ain't so" on which both the title track and one called "Boy on the bridge" were absolutely brilliant (it was about the most early seventies album I ever heard or owned). I had no idea he was an actor

Comment

Stage actor specializing in musical theatre more than a film actor, though he was in Sunday Bloody Sunday

Comment

There were many teen idols in the early 60s who moved between film/TV and pop. For example James Darren, (#3 US) with Goodbye Cruel World. and Shelly Fabares Johnny Angel (#1 US). In the UK John Leyton[/i] best remembered for Johnny Remember Me (#1 UK) and a string of others, but prior to that he was in Biggles on TV. Noel Harrison also charted with Windmills of Your Mind (#8 UK)

Comment

Working...
                                                  X