Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Film Actors Who Had Just One Top 40 Chart Hit (in UK or US)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone mentioned Bradley Cooper with Shallow?

It's him with Lady Gaga, but still.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post

I would think so. It's a recording of him on a record, it's in.

Mark Wahlberg, before his (Oscar nominated) acting was of course Marky Mark, which he hates being reminded of, but who cares, he's a bit of a prick.

They (Marky Mark and The Funky Bunch) were big in the states, but only had one Top 40 in the UK, with a song called Good Vibrations in 1991. I don't remember it, but as I understand it is not a Beach Boys cover. The follow up reached #42.
      That was a big hit. It’s a real 90s banger.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
        Juliette Lewis (& The Licks) also had a musical career which started around the same time (and endured) but without any chart action to speak of.
        She did vocals on two Prodigy tracks, Spitfire (#1 on the UK dance chart) and Hotride (#40 in Ireland, ineligible in the UK due to formatting apparently)

Comment

Stockard Channing has one line in "Summer Nights " ,as does some actor whose name I don't know.

Comment

Juliette Lewis (& The Licks) also had a musical career which started around the same time (and endured) but without any chart action to speak of.

I reckon I'm one of the few people here who saw/have seen Juliette And The Licks live (free tickets). And they were fucking bloody terrible.

Comment

Not me, but a guy I know was on the guest list for one of her shows here - and he said much the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

Or Stanley Unwin's participation on Ogden's Nut Gone Flake. Though I'm not sure there were any top 40 songs on that album.
                Lazy Sunday is on that LP.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post

Lazy Sunday is on that LP.
                  Stanley isn't on that side though.
                  Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 29-06-2020, 21:30.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                    I reckon I'm one of the few people here who saw/have seen Juliette And The Licks live (free tickets). And they were fucking bloody terrible.
                    Were they worse than the last time you saw The Sisters Of Mercy?

Comment

Anyone mentioned the two Bernards yet?

Breslaw's Msad Passionate Love and Cribben's Right Said Fred.

I also saw the fillum of Six-Five Special the other day, and it included a song from Jim Dale. Was it a hit?
                      Last edited by Gangster Octopus; 29-06-2020, 21:51.

Comment

He had four top 40 hits in 1957/58 so it might well have been.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                          Has anyone mentioned Bradley Cooper with Shallow?

It's him with Lady Gaga, but still.
                          They had a follow-up hit from the soundtrack (#27). However, due to streaming, 'Shallow' now has 74 weeks in the Top 100, which might make it the best-selling hit featuring a person whose primary career is film acting since John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John's two smashes in 1978.

Comment

Did Richard Harris have more hits than MacArthur Park? I guess How to Handle a Woman?

Twiggy had Here I Go Again.

Comment

Bah, thought I had one with Edward Woodward, but he got to No. 42 with his song JESUS CHRIST! NO!. Just kidding, it was The Way You Look Tonight.

Comment

Noel Harrison also charted with Windmills of Your Mind (#8 UK)
                                Rex Harrison's son. Although I'm not sure who his mother is. Have just checked and Rex Harrison had 6 wives. I knew he had a bit of a reputation but 6 wives. Yikes! Only 2 children though.

Comment

As mentioned upthread, there are also the Comic Relief abominations to take into account, but they aren't always credited. Hugh Laurie has had two charting albums, and a Billboard Hot 100 single (see one of the other Charts threads), but his sole appearance in the UK singles chart appears to be "Stick it Out" by Right Said Fred and Friends, of which he was one of the friends along with:

Peter Cook, Alan Freeman, Jools Holland, Steve Coogan, Clive Anderson, Pauline Quirke, Linda Robson, Basil Brush and Bernard Cribbins.

The last of which ruled himself out of this thread by having not one but three Top 40 hits.
                                  Mining this further, Rowan Atkinson on an earlier Comic Relief single, (I Want to be) Elected - Mr Bean & Smear Campaign.

Comment

Did Richard Harris have more hits than MacArthur Park? I guess How to Handle a Woman?

Twiggy had Here I Go Again.
                                    Twiggy had a very affecting voice. She might have done more musically I think.

Comment

Bah, thought I had one with Edward Woodward, but he got to No. 42 with his song JESUS CHRIST! NO!.
                                      Later covered by Nicolas Cage and renamed AH, THE BEES! AAAAAAAAAH, THEY'RE IN MY EYES!

It failed to chart.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                        Anyone mentioned the two Bernards yet?

Breslaw's Msad Passionate Love and Cribben's Right Said Fred.
                                        Bernard Cribbins is 'out' anyway, since he managed further hits with Hole in the Ground and Gossip Calypso.

Twiggy had a very affecting voice. She might have done more musically I think.
                                        She released a good number of further singles, pretty much all of which bombed. (Vanilla Olay - the follow-up to Here I Go Again - received loads of airplay.)

Two of her albums went Top 40, however.

Comment

Bresslaw is also out because he was on the Army Game hit mentioned above. Two Top Ten hits in the same year though (1958) for someone who I only knew as a sidekick in 14 Carry Ons. He was the tallest Carry On actor.

Comment

Phil Daniels on Blur's Parklife is his only chart action.

He was/is a musician and his band (Phil Daniels and The Cross) had a contract with RCA but no success, unlike his mate Gary Kemp's group. I also had to check that he didn't contribute to Breaking Glass (the album) and he didn't, he was only in the film. And Gary Tibbs played Hazel O'Connor's bassist, but then didn't play bass on her album.

Comment

Sacha Baron Cohen appears in the video for Madonna's Music but doesn't feature on the track itself, meaning his lone chart entry is Ali G's Me Julie

Comment

I *think* Rupert Everett sang backing vocals on Madonna’s American Pie.

Comment

And Richard Harris charted twice with the same song so I think counts.

Comment

Jesus Christ, Me Julie

Thanks Andrew

Comment

Working...
                                                    X