Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dizzy Gillespie Radio 2 documentary:

Comment

‘Kaze’ from drummer Takeo Moriyama’s 1983 album ‘East Plants’, with Shuichi Enomoto tenor/soprano saxophones, Toshihiko Inoue tenor/soprano saxophones, Hideaki Mochizuki bass and Yoji Sadanari percussion.

Comment

‘Like Miles’ from the Terumasa Hino Quintet’s 1969 album ‘Hi-Nology’, with Hino on trumpet, Takero Muraoka tenor saxophone, Hiromasa Suzuki electric piano, Kunimitsu Inaba bass and Motohiko Hino drums.

Comment

The title track from Yoshio Suzuki’s 1973 album ‘Friends’, with Suzuki on bass, Kohsuke Mine tenor saxophone, Takehiro Honda piano and Hiroshi Murakami bass.

Comment

From the Julia Hulsmann Quartet’s 2019 album ‘Not Far From Here’, a version of the David Bowie / Pat Metheny Group collaboration ‘This Is Not America’. Featuring Julia Hulsmann piano, Uli Kempendorff tenor saxophone, Marc Muellbauer bass and Heinrich Kobberling drums.

Comment

‘Adaption II’ from Kristjan Randalu’s 2018 debut album ‘Absence’, with Randalu on piano, Ben Monder guitar and Markku Ounaskari drums.

Comment

‘Oslo’ from Mathias Eick’s 2011 album ‘Skala’, with Eick on trumpet, Mortn Qvenild keyboards, Andreas Ulvo piano, Audun Erlien bass, Torstein Lofthus drums and Gard Nilssen dums.

Comment

‘Better Than Ever’ by Finnish multi-instrumentalist Jimi Tenor, from his 2000 album ‘Out Of Nowhere’, with Tenor on keyboards, tenor saxophone and vocals, Chris Dawkins guitar, Mikey Wilson drums, Nicole Willis vocals, Baluji Shrivastav percussion and The Orchestra Of The Great Theatre, Lodz conducted by Tadeusz Kozlowski.

Comment

As I really couldn’t settle on just one track from ‘Out Of Nowhere’, which really is a superb album, this is ‘Night In Loimaa’, with Tenor on keyboards and flute, Gary Miles bass, Mike Kearsy trombone, Caroline Boaden drums, Baluji Shrivastav sitar, vocals and percussion, Chris Dawkins guitar and Lodz Theatre orchestra even more to the fore.

Comment

‘The Last Beat’ from Matthew Herbert’s 2001 album ‘Bodily Functions’, with Dani Siciliano vocals, Phil Parnell piano, Dave Green bass, Paul Clarvis drums and Herbert production/samples/electronics.

Comment

‘Simple Mind’ from the Matthew Herbert Big Band’s 2003 album ‘Goodbye Swingtime’, with Dani Siciliano vocals, Dave O’Higgins and Nigel Hitchcock tenor saxophones, Martin Williams tenor saxophone / clarinet. Simon Niblock and Howard McGill alto saxophones / clarinets, Bob McKay baritone saxophone, Andy Wood, Chris Cole, and Gordon Campbell trombones, John Higginbotham trombone/tuba, Adam Linsley, Andrew Cook, Graham Russell and Stuart Brooks trumpets, Phil Parnell piano, Dave Green bass, Pete Cater drums and Herbert production/samples/electronics.

Comment

‘The Night Of The Dancing Flame’ from Roisin Murphy’s 2005 Matthew Herbert-produced album ‘Ruby Blue’, with Dave O’Higgins tenor saxophone, Trevor Mires trombone, Pete Wraight trumpet, Geoff Smith drums, Herbert keyboards/samples/electronics and Murphy vocals.

Comment

I've been really enjoying listening to the adventurous modal jazz of Japanese saxophonist Kohsuke Mine recently. A load of his stuff is being reissued. This gives you a flavour. It's great.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                              I've been really enjoying listening to the adventurous modal jazz of Japanese saxophonist Kohsuke Mine recently. A load of his stuff is being reissued. This gives you a flavour. It's great.
                              Nice post, dd. Like you, I love the jazz that came out of Japan in the late 60's and early 70's - it really was a match for the American and European scenes. I have this album and a couple more of Mine's - 'Daguri' and 'Out Of Chaos' (rips only, not the original vinyl alas) and without checking think that I may have posted something from one of them on this thread last summer. Mine was also on the Yoshio Suzuki album that I featured a few days ago - he was some player that's for sure..

Comment

‘Winter Song’ from the Hiroshi Fukumura Quintet’s 1972 album ‘Morning Flight’, with Fukumura on trombone, Shigeharu Mukai trombone, Hiroshi Tamura piano, Tsutomu Okada bass and Shinji Mori drums.

Comment

‘Jumping Cats’ from the George Otsuka Quintet’s 1971 album ‘Sea Breeze’, with Otsuka on drums, Shunzu Ohno trumpet, Takao Uematsu tenor saxophone, Hideo Ichikawa electric piano and Takashi Mizuhashi bass.

Comment

The title track from Sadao Watanabe’s 1971 album ‘Paysages’, with Watanabe on flute, Masabumi Kikuchi electric piano, Gary Peacock bass, Hiroshi Murakami drums and Masahiko Togashi drums/percussion.

Comment

‘#109 Psychosomatic’ from The Lightmen’s 1970 album ‘Free As You Wanna Be’, with band leader Bubbha Thomas on drums, Ronnie Laws alto and soprano saxophones, Doug Harris tenor saxophone, Carl Adams trumpet, Joe Singleton trombone, Kenny Abair guitar, Ed Rose bass and Mike O’Connor congas.

Comment

‘Masai’ from Mombasa’s album ‘African Rhythms And Blues’, originally issued in 1975 as a limited pressing but restored and re-released in 2006. Charles Jefferson on trumpet, flugelhorn and kalimba, Lou Blackburn trombone, Donald Coleman flute/congas, Gerald Luciano bass/percussion and Cephus McGirt drums.

Comment

‘Kwebena’s Blues’ by drummer Michael Carvin from his 1975 album ‘The Camel’, with Sonny Fortune soprano saxophone, Cecil Bridgewater trumpet/flugelhorn, Ron Burton piano and Calvin Hill bass.

Comment

‘A Walk In Yoyogi Park’ from the 2021 album ‘Perihelion’ by alto saxophonist Guido Spannocchi, with Sylvie Leys tenor saxophone, Robert Mitchell piano, Michelangelo Scandroglio bass and Tristan Banks drums.

Comment

‘Security’ from the 2019 album ‘These Days’ by bassist Daniel Casimir and singer Tess Hirst, with Robert Mitchell keyboards, Tobie Carpenter guitar and Olly Sarkar drums.

Comment

‘Dansoman Last Stop’ from the 2020 album ‘Active Imagination’ by trumpeter Nick Walters, with Jeff Guntren tenor saxophone, Ed Cawthorne flute, Rebecca Nash piano, Nim Sadot bass, Maxwell Hallett drums and Joseph Deenmamode percussion.

Comment

Light Blue - Thelonious Monk

Comment

A couple of tracks this morning that ad hoc might find of interest. The 2020 album ‘Transylvanian Folk Songs’ by Romanian pianist Lucian Ban was inspired by the extensive archive of peasant folk music collected by composer Bela Bartok during the early 1900’s. This is ‘The Dowry Song’, with John Surman baritone saxophone and Mat Maneri violin.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X