No announcement yet.

A Jazz Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally, '(To) Know Where You're Coming From', taken from the 2019 album 'Turn To Clear View' by keyboard player Joe Armon-Jones, with yet again Nubya Garcia on saxophone, Dylan Jones trumpet, James Mollison saxophone, Oscar Jerome guitar, Kwake Bass drums, Mutale Chashi bass and Luke Newman vocals.

Comment

'And Then I Missed Her Again' from the 2018 album 'Tara' by Finland's Aapo Heinonen Quintet - Heinonen piano/keyboards, Teemu Takanen saxophones, Vesa Ojaniemi bass, Tomi Saikkonen drums and Hector Lepe guitar,

Comment

'Dusk' from trumpeter Jeremy Pelt's 2005 album 'Identity', with Mike Moreno guitar, Frank Locrasto electric piano, Vicente Arthur bass and Eric McPherson drums.

Comment

Violinist Jenny Scheinman occupies a space somewhere between jazz, folk and country, and has a long history of collaboration with guitarist Bill Frisell, another who is comfortable playing in a number of different styles and settings.This is 'Old Brooklyn' from her 2008 album 'Crossing the Field', with Frisell, Doug Wieselman clarinet, Ron Miles cornet, Jason Moran piano, Kenny Wollesen drums and Tim Luntzel bass.

Comment

Back to Brazil this evening. Starting with 'Vim Dizer Que Sim' by Marcos Valle and Celso Fonseca from their 2009 album 'Pagina Central'.

Comment

'Cantor De Noite' by Ivan Lins from the 2014 album America, Brasil'.

Comment

Monica Vasconcelos has lived in the UK for many years, but her music remains authentically Brazilian. This is not the best audio reproduction of her 'Samba De Ponte' (taken from a 1998 Andy Kershaw radio show) but it's the only one that I could find on YouTube and it's too beautiful a song to leave out.

Comment

Finally Azymuth bassist Alex Malheiros and Banda Utopia with the title track from their 2009 album 'The Wave', featuring Malheiros' daughter Sabrina on vocals.

Comment

A couple from Norway this evening. First up, saxophonist Marius Neset, who recorded the album 'Lion' with the Trondheim Jazz Orchestra in 2012 following a commission to compose a collaborative suite for the Molde Jazz Festival. This is 'Raining', with Espern Berg on piano.

Last edited by gjw100; 02-08-2020, 20:50.

Comment

Jaga Jazzist, led by multi-instrumentalist Lars Horntveth, were another of the Norwegian bands from the early 2000's who mixed conventional jazz instrumentation with electronics and a more dancefloor-friendly beat. This is 'Another Day' from the 2002 album 'The Stix'.

Comment

great thread, Gjw. I'm learning a lot.

Comment

Cheers, Nef. I'm aware that the thread isn't attracting very many views per post, but I'm still having fun and all the time there are at least a few others enjoying it I'll keep going. I didn't have the opportunity to post last night as I was somewhat pre-occupied with a new puppy (more of that in another thread), so I thought I'd pop in this morning and stick up a few random bits and pieces.

First up is Finland's Teddy Rok Seven, featuring trumpeter Jukka Eskola and saxophonist Timo Lassy. Their 2004 album 'Universal Four' wouldn't have sounded out of place on Blue Note during that label's heyday. This is 'Askaa'.

Comment

Another retro sound next, this for anyone hankering after that Headhunters mid-70's jazz-funk. From the album 'Revolutions' by British band Resolution 88, this is 'Runout Groove', featuring Tom O'Grady keyboards, Alex Hitchcock saxophones and bass clarinet, Tiago Coimbra bass, Ric Elsworth drums and Oli Blake percussion.

Comment

Finally, drummer Terri Lyne Carrington's 'Papa-San', from her 2009 album 'More To Say (Real Life Story)'. Way too many musicians involved on the album for me to list and without digging out my original copy I'm not too sure who played on this particular track.

Comment

Michael Winner's 1974 film 'Death Wish' hasn't aged at all well (to be honest it was pretty crap even at the time). The same couldn't be said of the original soundtrack, composed and performed by Herbie Hancock, with a full orchestra, his then Headhunters band and guitarist Wah Wah Watson (patented guitar stylings well to the fore).This is the main theme and album title track.

Comment

Drummer Bill Bruford is famous for his stints with Yes and King Crimson, but the jazz albums that he recorded from the early 80's through to his retirement from music in 2009 are less well-known. This is 'Forget-Me-Not' from the 1991 album 'All Heaven Broke Loose', with Iain Ballamy saxophone, Django Bates keyboards and horns and Tim Harries bass.

Comment

It's long been a tradition for jazz musicians to cover songs from other musical genres, and in doing so put a completely fresh spin on them. Pianist Brad Mehldau has recorded more of these than most and I was rather spoilt for choice when deciding what to post this evening. First up is a version of Radiohead's 'Everything In Its Right Place' from the 2004 album 'Anything Goes' with bassist Larry Grenadier and drummer Jorge Rossy

Comment

Next, a version of Bob Dylan's 'Don't Think Twice, It's Alright' that Mehldau recorded in 2017 with mandolinist and vocalist Chris Thile.

Comment

Finally, Mehldau's version of The Beatles 'Blackbird' from his 1997 album 'The Art Of The Trio Vol 1', again featuring Grenadier and Rossy.

Comment

Cornet player Nat Adderley (brother of Cannonball) recorded a rather curious but nonetheless enjoyable album with Rick Holmes in 1972 entitled 'Soul Zodiac', featuring a track devoted to each sign of the zodiac. The studio band for the recording was essentially Cannonball's own sextet - George Duke keyboards, Mike Deasy guitar, Roy McCurdy drums, Walter Booker bass and Ernie Watts tenor sax, with Holmes, a Los Angeles radio DJ, writing and narrating the usual astrological nonsense over the top of the music (but in such a cool way that it doesn't really matter what he's rabbiting on about). This is 'Cancer'.

Comment

One for diggedy derek. Japanese bassist Teruo Nakamura's 'Derrick's Dance' from the 1973 album 'Unicorn', with George Cables electric piano, Steve Grossman tenor sax, Charles Sullivan trumpet, Lanny White drums Alvern Bunn congas and Keiji Kishida percussion. .

Comment

Finally this evening, Alice Coltrane's beautifully evocative 'Galaxy In Turiya' from her 1972 album 'World Galaxy', with Alice on harp, piano, organ and percussion, Reggie Workman bass, Ben Riley drums, Frank Lowe saxophone and a 15 piece string orchestra.

Last edited by gjw100; 08-08-2020, 19:13.

Comment

Just wanted to register my thanks for your stellar work on this thread.

Comment

Thanks ursus, it's a labour of love. Not much time this evening though as the new puppy needs a quick walk around the block, so just a random selection from the virtual vaults.

Valve trombonist Peter Herbolzheimer and his Rhythym Combination and Brass made a half-a-dozen albums for German label MPS (previously featured on this thread) during the early 70's. This is 'Green Witch' from the 1973 album 'Waitaminute'.

Comment

'Dream Eyes' from the 1970 album 'Mine' by the Kosuke Mine Quintet, featuring Mine on saxophones and electric pianist Hideo Ichikawa.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X